MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

AirAsia X is no longer in line to receive their own A359 as they allowed their slots to lapse. They did not put in deposit to Airbus.

Well, the Airbus November 2016 Orders and Deliveries spreadsheet still shows the order for 10. So, I suspect all is not dead yet - it took Airbus a number of years to remove the Kingfisher orders...

I think TF is really gunning for LHR slots

Wouldn't it make more sense if they go for LGW since it's a big base for Easyjet?

I root for a D7 return to STN - would be such a breeze then to visit Nic at Cambridge :)

Edited by BC Tam

AirAsia X is no longer in line to receive their own A359 as they allowed their slots to lapse. They did not put in deposit to Airbus.

The two B77W identity are now confirmed. Eva Air B-16701 and B-16702, leased from Dubai Aerospace Ent.

Interesting; thanks for the info on the B77Ws destined to be leased by D7 Julius.

B-16701 EVA Airways Boeing 777-35E(ER) - cn 32639 / 524 Delivered 27-07-2005 11.4 years old

B-16702 EVA Airways Boeing 777-35E(ER) - cn 32640 / 531 Delivered 26-08-2005 11.3 years old

Both are leased from http://www.daecapital.com/

TF, a GE fanboy, will also get to operate GE engined wide body.

Sounds credible and plausible - these could be on 12 year leases and a 5 year follow on lease with a new customer will be a good deal for them.

I think that with long haul ops far from proven, it will be best for D7 not to take ownership of A359s unless fuel prices go back to USD200 again. Otherwise, they will be stuck with a long haul plane with no routes to fly - something they had already experienced with the A343.

Wouldn't the A350-900 be suitable for KUL-LGW/ KUL-LHR role? Why would they need extra 77W??

Wouldn't the A350-900 be suitable for KUL-LGW/ KUL-LHR role? Why would they need extra 77W??

Probably slot issue. D7 has deferred the A350 countless times in hoping and pushing Airbus to configure A330Neo for more the payload and range. Airbus did it but it is only viable for FSC type seating and payload config(about 280-300ish kind of seats), AirAsia wanted high density passenger configuration like their usual A333(about 360-380 seats) this has made the Europe trip nearly impossible. Instead of paying up more for some of the earlier slot to get the A350, D7 went to lease the b77w instead as it is the quickest and cheapest to reopen back the Europe routes. Efficiency though the B77W isnt really good than the A350 for today's standard unless D7 can fill up the seats then its good.

Edited by jahur

Probably slot issue. D7 has deferred the A350 countless times in hoping and pushing Airbus to configure A330Neo for more the payload and range. Airbus did it but it is only viable for FSC type seating and payload config(about 280-300ish kind of seats), AirAsia wanted high density passenger configuration like their usual A333(about 360-380 seats) this has made the Europe trip nearly impossible. Instead of paying up more for some of the earlier slot to get the A350, D7 went to lease the b77w instead as it is the quickest and cheapest to reopen back the Europe routes. Efficiency though the B77W isnt really good than the A350 for today's standard unless D7 can fill up the seats then its good.

The original A350-900 slots were around 2019 but D7 pushed them back indefinitely when they ordered the A330-900 neo. They need to get back in the queue if they want them.

My suspicion is that D7 drove a very hard bargain for the B77W and got good lease rates for them. They are talking about having more lie flat premium seats and a larger plane will easily accommodate these. They also said there is a lot of demand from Australia - so, they might want to bump up capacity to take in the connecting pax from down under.

This makes it interesting - if D7 are able to fill up the B77W, will it consider switching some of the A350-900 order to the A350-1000? That should speed up delivery as there are fewer customers waiting for the A350-1000. And if they get the A350-1000, it will be a great replacement for the B77W, when its 5 year lease runs out. It will also make more money as it will lower the CASK.

Thanks guys (jahur and flee). I wonder if the 77W belongs to EVA and will they be wet leased? It's exciting to see 77W in Air Asia livery.

Edited by S V Choong

Thanks guys (jahur and flee). I wonder if the 77W belongs to EVA and will they be wet leased? It's exciting to see 77W in Air Asia livery.

The 77W belongs to Dubai Aerospace Enterprise which is leasing company. It will be dry lease, AirAsia X is now in planning stage to send few batches off crew (both cockpit and cabin crew) for training, most probably with SQ, CI, BR or CX depending on who can offer best package.

I'm curious as to how they plan to configure the interior of the plane...

Should be high density for both classes. Somewhere near to maximum exit limit 550.

Economy will be 10 abreast - it will be just as uncomfortable as the current A330 seats. Many of those who have experienced B777 10 abreast cabins are now avoiding booking flights on such aircraft.

well Emirates 773s are also 10 abreast seating and they have very good loads. However emirates seat pitch maybe slighjtly better than Air Asia X.

well Emirates 773s are also 10 abreast seating and they have very good loads. However emirates seat pitch maybe slighjtly better than Air Asia X.

I would expect D7 to maintain its 32 inch seat pitch. EK's is a little more generous, 33-34 inches.

That was why I said that, using the B77W, you will get a similar D7 experience as you would do on the A333. But getting on and off the plane might take longer as we can expect 450 or more pax on board.

Edited by flee

Someone already rendered D7 livery with B77W about 7 years ago.

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/search/photo_search.php?id=00011576

Edited by JianCheng

I believe it is a lot lot lot more than just the better seat pitch that makes people want to fly EK...

I believe it is a lot lot lot more than just the better seat pitch that makes people want to fly EK...

Their ICE IFE is out of this world, generous Skymiles, generous baggage allowance,unrivalled connectivity/ network........minus side: big colossal airport to transit, inconsistent inflight service......etc

maybe it's within the EK code itself ..... Extra Kick :D

Economy will be 10 abreast - it will be just as uncomfortable as the current A330 seats. Many of those who have experienced B777 10 abreast cabins are now avoiding booking flights on such aircraft.

I have... many times on EK's 77W between KUL and MEL. It was okay, not bad.

Rolls-Royce a 'little bit late' with A330neo engine: Bregier

Airbus has cited a slight delay in the development of the A330neo powerplant following the shift in entry into service to early 2018.
The airframer’s latest expectation for the maiden flight of the re-engined jet is the first half of 2017, commercial aircraft president Fabrice Bregier disclosed during a briefing in Toulouse.
Rolls-Royce is “a little bit late” with developing the Trent 7000 engine for the aircraft, he says, but stresses that this is “not due to [engine] performance”.
He says the engine manufacturer has been facing a “cumulative effect” of production of powerplants for the A350-900 and -1000 as well as the Boeing 787.
More:

A330neo first flight likely to slip to September

Airbus will now perform the first flight of its A330neo “at the end of the summer”, a significant delay over its previous timeline for the re-engined aircraft.
Speaking at an event in Toulouse, Airbus executive vice-president for programmes Didier Evrard confirmed the slippage.
More: