MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

Airbus A330 Neo - AirAsia X Orders 50 A330-900neo at Farnborough Air Show 2014

Can the A330neo do Europe with D7 configurations and a full load?

I think that if Airbus can push the MTOW to 245t, it should have no problems with range to the UK from KUL or BKK.

I think D7 is working with load factors that it previously carried and probably calculated that any load penalty is within their load factors. So that penalty does not hurt revenue as those seats can't be sold during normal periods. It may be a different story during peak periods, though.

Edited by flee

The -900neo has a range of roughly 12300km (give or take various reports). KUL-LHR is roughly 10,600km...again, give or take.

Making the assumption 100px = 60kg (asian market) +20kg (luggage)...add 8,000kg weight penalty.

Assume this translates into a fuel penalty to keep the 245t mtow and lets say fuel burn is 6kg/km (internet info, unconfirmed) = 1,333km short.

That would give it a range of 11,000km..roughly...

Enough for a diversion

Now, if for security reasons the route is via Greece/Italy then they will have a problem.

Weather and headwind will give them a headache.

PS: it is a very rough calc, highly inaccurate...I am not in the airline industry so please do correct me.

First A330neo starts its final assembly in Toulouse

Newest member of the world’s most popular wide-body family takes shape
27 SEPTEMBER 2016 PRESS RELEASE
Airbus has commenced the final assembly of its first A330neo, an A330-900, at its Final Assembly Line in Toulouse with the joining of the wings to the centre fuselage at station 40.
As the newest member of the world’s most popular A330 wide-body family the A330neo builds on the Family’s proven economics, versatility and reliability, set to reduce fuel consumption by a further 14 per cent per seat. Both the A330-800 and A330-900 feature a new A350-inspired wing with Sharklet wingtip devices for state-of-the-art aerodynamics, incorporating latest-generation Rolls-Royce Trent 7000 engines, and the new AirSpace by Airbus cabin for the latest experience in cabin comfort.
“We have started with a very tight development schedule and are today right on time,” says Odile Jubécourt, Airbus Head of the A330neo programme. “I am happy to say we are in good shape to meet the high standards of maturity and reliability our customers expect from us and I want to thank the teams for this outstanding achievement.”
Thanks to its low, new generation fuel-burn, the A330neo expands its operators’ market opportunities by offering an additional 400 nautical miles range, leading to a 6,550 nautical miles range on the A330-900 and 7,500 nautical miles on the A330-800. To date, 10 customers have ordered a total of 186 A330neo.
The A330-800 and the A330-900 are 99 per cent common, sharing a 95 per cent commonality across the entire A330 fleet, set to optimize costs and flexibility for all its operators. Airlines will also benefit from the Family’s market-leading reliability and reduced maintenance costs.
The A330 is the most popular mid-size wide-body aircraft ever, having won over 1,600 orders to date. Today, over 1,250 aircraft are flying with over 120 airlines worldwide on a wide range of routes, from domestic and regional flights to long range intercontinental services.
Offering the lowest operating costs in its category, and due to continuous investments in latest innovations, the new generation A330neo is the most profitable and best performing aircraft in its size category.
800x600_1474982835_The_A330neo_enters_fi
Start-up of wing and centre fuselage joining at Station 40 marks the beginning of the final assembly process for Airbus’ first A330neo (new engine option) aircraft, which is an A330-900
800x600_1474982838_The_A330neo_enters_fi
The first A330neo (new engine option), an A330-900 version, starts its final assembly process at Station 40 on Airbus’ Toulouse, France final assembly line for the popular and versatile A330 widebody product line

Yet another no-engine-option variant being paraded :D

NEO = no engine option is a new option, ha ha!

Bear in mind this A330-900 would have been the A350-900 when Airbus first proposed to the airlines. Qatar and amongst others were the one who shot Airbus down for giving them an old design, the A350 was redesigned and what was abandoned previously somehow made her way to become the A330-900. What is the difference between this A330-900 to A350-900? This should be the complete replacement of the A330-300 right? And the A350-900 is taking on the B777-200ER or -200LR as a replacement?

Will the A330-900 be using a derated engine of the A350-900?

Edited by S V Choong

AirAsiaX will be receiving two used B77W for London route in 2017, lease period for five years, according to credible source. A339neo does not have sufficient range to do the route non-stop and AirAsia X A350 order is as good as dead.

Rumour has it both B77W are coming from EVA Air.

Rumour has it both B77W are coming from EVA Air.

B-16701 EVA Airways Boeing 777-35E(ER) - cn 32639 / 524 Delivered 27-07-2005 11.4 years old

B-16702 EVA Airways Boeing 777-35E(ER) - cn 32640 / 531 Delivered 26-08-2005 11.3 years old

Both are leased from http://www.daecapital.com/

TF, a GE fanboy, will also get to operate GE engined wide body.

Sounds credible and plausible - these could be on 12 year leases and a 5 year follow on lease with a new customer will be a good deal for them.

I think that with long haul ops far from proven, it will be best for D7 not to take ownership of A359s unless fuel prices go back to USD200 again. Otherwise, they will be stuck with a long haul plane with no routes to fly - something they had already experienced with the A343.

Is the A330-900 similar in passenger numbers to the 787-8 or -9?

And that the A350 is generally bigger than the 787

The A330-900 is roughly similar to B787-9 in terms of passenger capacity while the A350-900 is the equivalent of the B777-200.

Wonder how much their promo fare will be considering you can get QR to Europe for sub RM1.5k if you book at the right time

Wow, RM1.5K is really low - must be for travel in real off peak period (May/November?)... The lowest I have seen was on VN (RM 1.7K booked about 4 weeks prior to travel) on their A350/B787 routes! One thing I am always fearful of when taking connecting flights - the checked-in luggage does not follow me to the final destination!

I think a lot will depend on how D7 configures their B77W - will they have more premium seats? Will it be 10 abreast seating in economy? I would imagine that they will need at least 400 seats to make the economics favourable.

Wow, RM1.5K is really low - must be for travel in real off peak period (May/November?)... The lowest I have seen was on VN (RM 1.7K booked about 4 weeks prior to travel) on their A350/B787 routes! One thing I am always fearful of when taking connecting flights - the checked-in luggage does not follow me to the final destination!

A friend of mine got his KCH CDG vv for around RM1.4k on QR. The fare was only available ex KCH. Booked in April for travel in Dec. But it was thru a third party website he found while searching thru Skyscanner. He was initially hesitant but everything checked out a few days later when he called QR and cross checked the ticket number given by the site.

it will be really surprising if Air Asia X would get the 2 77Ws to operate LHR - as air asia have been wholly be a airbus operator. It would seem different for AriAsia X to just operate 2 77Ws and have pilots and cabin retrained just for these 2 aircrafts. Even the engines are different and have no commonality with any of its existing fleet.

I just dont get it why dont they just take their 350-900 order. Will solve them a lot of problem and gonna buy a lot of publicity.

Hopefully it wont be the case of 'once bitten twice shy'

They tried London and Paris with A340 because it has range but its kinda old aircraft and guzzling fuel.

77W can be considered as old too. Wont be as efficient as new factory fresh 77W plus now they need to invest some capital to set up entire 777 operations up from scratch. It might have 2 less engine but when you add capital outlay needed it's just gonna be another A340 costs wise.

Personally i think they need at least 4 77W to sustain daily service and maybe upgrade some of their popular North Asian destination.

it will be really surprising if Air Asia X would get the 2 77Ws to operate LHR .....

Really surprising if they can find slots at LHR they are willing to pay for :)

Really surprising if they can find slots at LHR they are willing to pay for :)

Maybe TF can somehow blackmail convince PB into giving up some of the slots?

I just dont get it why dont they just take their 350-900 order. Will solve them a lot of problem and gonna buy a lot of publicity.

Hopefully it wont be the case of 'once bitten twice shy'

They tried London and Paris with A340 because it has range but its kinda old aircraft and guzzling fuel.

77W can be considered as old too. Wont be as efficient as new factory fresh 77W plus now they need to invest some capital to set up entire 777 operations up from scratch. It might have 2 less engine but when you add capital outlay needed it's just gonna be another A340 costs wise.

Personally i think they need at least 4 77W to sustain daily service and maybe upgrade some of their popular North Asian destination.

Yes, it is kinda repeat of the ex-Air Canada A343 saga - maybe this time they learnt their lessons and negotiated a really LOW lease rate for the B77Ws.

Anyway, lets just wait and see - all this is premature. They may take the ex-Sri Lankan A359s.... or something else!

Maybe LTN too, since LTN is catered for LCC.

They have already said that the airport that offers the sweetest deal will be the favourite. LTN is the HQ of EasyJet - so the airport already makes a lot of money out of them. They are probably not going offer super competitive rates. STN and LGW are the most probable.

I think TF is really gunning for LHR slots

Yes, that would be some game changing move - LHR is not known to be LCC friendly.

Who is going to sell or lease LHR slots to Airasia X?

AirAsia X is no longer in line to receive their own A359 as they allowed their slots to lapse. They did not put in deposit to Airbus.

The two B77W identity are now confirmed. Eva Air B-16701 and B-16702, leased from Dubai Aerospace Ent.

Edited by JuliusWong