MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal

RayaniAir just announced in their fb, they will start their operation using propeller turboprop aircraft soon. They will be flying from Malacca to Penang, Kota Bharu, Langkawi, Pekan Baru (Indonesia) and Medan Kuala Namu (Indonesia).

https://www.facebook.com/495968907170811/photos/a.495977107169991.1073741827.495968907170811/527672404000461/?type=1&theater

Do you also wonder why people keep throwing money into the pit?

As one who has been round longer than MAS and Proton have been in existence, it doesn't take much to be convinced it's a wonder-ful world here :)

'Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron said the country’s first boutique airline would use Fokker 50 planes for the inaugural routes between Melaka and Penang, Langkawi, Kota Baharu, Kuching, and Kota Kinabalu.'

More at: http://www.therakyatpost.com/business/2014/08/23/new-malacca-airline-rayani-air/

All the best to Rayani Air. Sometimes it's good to see people who are brave enough to venture to this otherwise a highly regulated industry.

From the news, the state government considers the shortfall in passengers will be borne by the state government !?

So it is a business that the profit is guaranteed ?

'Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron said the country’s first boutique airline would use Fokker 50 planes for the inaugural routes between Melaka and Penang, Langkawi, Kota Baharu, Kuching, and Kota Kinabalu.'

More at: http://www.therakyatpost.com/business/2014/08/23/new-malacca-airline-rayani-air/

All the best to Rayani Air. Sometimes it's good to see people who are brave enough to venture to this otherwise a highly regulated industry.

I hope that those F50s won't make the same unpleasant headlines as the B772s did for MAS.

I am not sure how they can make this service work and be cost effective. They should have used more modern aircraft like ATR-42 or ATR-72.

Fokker 50s are pretty old and I wonder which airlines in this region still uses them. Asia Link only perhaps?

The latest one on the region to use F50 was the Pacific Royale. I believe the concept was same, boutique airline. Offered full meal on board but only lasted a few months and now missing without a trace after only a few months into operation. I sure hope Rayani won't really use the F50s on BKI-MKZ route. I can barely stand my last flight on F50 1 hour flight TWU-BKI. Claustrophobic...

Edited by Mohd Firdaus Bolong

What route will it take to reach JOG and SUB ? I remember those days travelling on MH F50 from MYY to KCH, with stops in BTU and SBW. 2 quick stops and 3 glasses of orange juice... Great way to spend a couple of hours.

Sky Aviation Indonesia still operates 5 Fokker 50. This carrier also flying to MKZ

Hah the good old days in MKZ. Able to spot Firefly, Wings Air ATRs and Sky Aviation using the rare F50 in the morning. Cant say the same for now, no schedule flights into Melaka at the moment.

What route will it take to reach JOG and SUB ? I remember those days travelling on MH F50 from MYY to KCH, with stops in BTU and SBW. 2 quick stops and 3 glasses of orange juice... Great way to spend a couple of hours.

You still get this "treatment" nowadays with MASwings' MH 3806, the only difference is that it is in the reverse direction. I do it 2 to 3 times before. Really great way to spend a couple of hours...haha...

Fokker 50s are pretty old and I wonder which airlines in this region still uses them. Asia Link only perhaps?

The F50 "golden era" in Malaysia had end for at least 5 years, and now this airline is bringing them back....Well, let's see how they perform with the Dutch Lady again...Aircraft type is pretty old by now...