MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

Another Malaysian Rego Plane go Tech again?!

So the bit came off at BKI when flying off and the pilot only realized half hour later when descending into LBU, whereupon it was deemed necessary for "full aerodrome support services was activated"

There is a pic in local daily today of the naked engine, must have been taken by someone in the plane enroute

I think we can safely assume there was an unfortunate communication failure in that incident :)

The piece that detached can be considered as FOD at BKI...dangerous indeed...how long does it take for the BKI staff to realize the FOD was on the runway?

The piece that detached can be considered as FOD at BKI...dangerous indeed...how long does it take for the BKI staff to realize the FOD was on the runway?

Waiting for Immarsat data ?

So the bit came off at BKI when flying off and the pilot only realized half hour later when descending into LBU, whereupon it was deemed necessary for "full aerodrome support services was activated"

There is a pic in local daily today of the naked engine, must have been taken by someone in the plane enroute

I think we can safely assume there was an unfortunate communication failure in that incident :)

Or it could be that the part does not affect airworthiness and rather than inconveniencing pax by returning to BKI, the crew decided to press on to LBU.

A BA 747 flew to LHR from LAX on 3 engines after one failed in flight, so it's not uncommon.

That is the thing i want to ask, reports says the piece that detached were found left at BKI upon take off...wouldn't it affect BKI operation safety??

Or it could be that the part does not affect airworthiness and rather than inconveniencing pax by returning to BKI, the crew decided to press on to LBU.

A BA 747 flew to LHR from LAX on 3 engines after one failed in flight, so it's not uncommon.

30 minutes is a "quick" flight so to say...but believe passengers who were sitting inside the cabin will feel the "stress" with the naked engine as shown in today's local press...

Best guess would be they did a runway inspection after the pilot alerted the airport and remove any FOD from the runway. That part probably not pick-up by local press.

Best guess would be they did a runway inspection after the pilot alerted the airport and remove any FOD from the runway. That part probably not pick-up by local press.

Dunno which part of what is true lah, but the quoted Star piece had me understanding that the pilot(s?) was/were oblivious to the missing bit until they were due to land at LBU

If that understanding is true, then I stand by my guesswork that there was a definite communication breakdown, hence pilots would not have alerted airport of potential FOD hazard at BKI until quite late in the day

If that understanding is flawed, then I guess people did what they thought best at the time and pax who saw were decidedly calm about the naked engine (I personally would have freaked out totally)

:)

Dunno which part of what is true lah, but the quoted Star piece had me understanding that the pilot(s?) was/were oblivious to the missing bit until they were due to land at LBU

If that understanding is true, then I stand by my guesswork that there was a definite communication breakdown, hence pilots would not have alerted airport of potential FOD hazard at BKI until quite late in the day

If that understanding is flawed, then I guess people did what they thought best at the time and pax who saw were decidedly calm about the naked engine (I personally would have freaked out totally)

:)

There are rumours that The Star may have a hidden agenda because a certain someone who shall remain nameless (lets just say this person is a jilted lover) is on its board of directors.

Whether there is any truth in the rumours I don't know, but of all the mainstream media covering the airline's missteps, they're the only ones doing it with such gusto.

Looking at Cikgu's pic, there is nothing serious about the incident and certainly does not require an immediate landing unless there are some other failures associated with the missing cowling.

I am not familiar with ATR's technical aspect but I guessed there is no indication in the cockpit to alert the pilot about the missing cowling. It is purely up to the pax who noticed it to inform cabin crew who in turn will inform the pilot.

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

Sign in to follow this