MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CH Teo

Goodbye, B734 @ Smarties

The last B734 flight from PEN to KUL carried 85 pax and 10 crews. The crew number seems high. Anyway, B734 has been a good and reliable workhorse for MH and it is good to see MH enters a new era of -800.

I still remember I was at SZB terminal 3 talking to a spotter from Germany around year 1996. I mentioned MH was the biggest B734 operator outside USA. The Geman guy did not agree and pulled out a booklet with Lufthansa fleet information (incl. aircraft types and rego numbers) saying LH had more B734 than MH at that time

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

I'll miss Seats 14A and F

Was on the 737-400 on MH1058 from JHB to KUL on the 13 June

Now let's hope MAS will return the leased 737-800 with BSI.

I prefer the old 737-400 compared to them.

Even the seat pitch on the 737-400 is better than the current 737-800 with and without BSI.

22 years is a long time. It really shows how reliable the 734s are. All the PEN - KUL sectors that I've travelled on were on the 734. Never been on the -800 series.

Spotting -400 was also a joy. It interests me how the landing lights are embedded into the flap pylons.

Thank you for the great service B734. Shall miss spotting these jellyfishes at Malaysian airports!

B734 did make money for MH as it entered service in an era when oil prices were low and fares were high. Now, the environment is different, with high oil prices and low fares. Its time has come to an end.

I wonder if Transmile (and MASkargo) will pick up a few of the old MH B734s and convert them to freighter ops? They should definitely be more economical to operate that B727Fs and B732Fs.

Edited by flee

To date (according to Flightmemory.com), I have flown on all MMA - MMZ, and MQA - MQQ
The last flight on 734 was PEN-KUL, 3rd January 2014. MMB flew me to KUL.

overall, 734 fleet gives me sweet memories, especially seat 14A and 14F. Not to forget, the jumpseating experience.

So long 734, you'll be missed!

While we remember the B734, please note that at one time MH had 7 B735 and 2 B733F as well.

Flown all of them, including MMO and MMP that were later sold to India to start Jet Airways.

And before MMA MH also leased some B734 which were registered ML series and MJ series.

My bad. Yes there were 9 B735. MFA to MFI.

Edited by Radzi

To date (according to Flightmemory.com), I have flown on all MMA - MMZ, and MQA - MQQ

The last flight on 734 was PEN-KUL, 3rd January 2014. MMB flew me to KUL.

overall, 734 fleet gives me sweet memories, especially seat 14A and 14F. Not to forget, the jumpseating experience.

So long 734, you'll be missed!

Impressive. My log is missing many. MA/MB/MH/MR/MY/MZ amongst others. For some strange reason... a few of them stalked me closely: MMJ = 17 times, MQE= 12 times, Luck more than anything else.

Last ride was MMD operating 1432 KUL-LGK 17/1 this year. Was not a very nice flight for me cause there was a girl who was wearing an identical dress to me sitting across the aisle and she looked a lot better in it than me. :p

The last B734 flight from PEN to KUL carried 85 pax and 10 crews. The crew number seems high. Anyway, B734 has been a good and reliable workhorse for MH and it is good to see MH enters a new era of -800.

I still remember I was at SZB terminal 3 talking to a spotter from Germany around year 1996. I mentioned MH was the biggest B734 operator outside USA. The Geman guy did not agree and pulled out a booklet with Lufthansa fleet information (incl. aircraft types and rego numbers) saying LH had more B734 than MH at that time

What was he smoking? Lufthansa had only 7 from 1992 till 1998; MAS operated 49 B734s back to back for in its 22 years of operation.

What was he smoking? Lufthansa had only 7 from 1992 till 1998; MAS operated 49 B734s back to back for in its 22 years of operation.

Now I think of it perhaps he was talking about entire B737 fleet instead of B737-400 series ? :unknw:

I have no internet access back then that I could source the information :p

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

737 has been the work horse of LH for many years, it is unlikely that MH 737 fleet size could be bigger than LH. However, given MH PR machine track record, it could be possible MH 734 fleet size could be the biggest at certain period.

737 has been the work horse of LH for many years, it is unlikely that MH 737 fleet size could be bigger than LH. However, given MH PR machine track record, it could be possible MH 734 fleet size could be the biggest at certain period.

Now I think of it perhaps he was talking about entire B737 fleet instead of B737-400 series ? :unknw:

I have no internet access back then that I could source the information :p

Over the years, the total number of B737 family LH has/had is 155 and dwindling fast.

MH has/had 186 and counting as more B737NG comes on board..

Back then LH would have been the largest B737 operator outside of US prior to MH's B737NG order.

Anyhow, many airlines nowadays actually started off with B737 before Airbus came into picture...........What a workhorse!

Edited by JuliusWong

Impressive. My log is missing many. MA/MB/MH/MR/MY/MZ amongst others. For some strange reason... a few of them stalked me closely: MMJ = 17 times, MQE= 12 times, Luck more than anything else.

Last ride was MMD operating 1432 KUL-LGK 17/1 this year. Was not a very nice flight for me cause there was a girl who was wearing an identical dress to me sitting across the aisle and she looked a lot better in it than me. :p

MMA, MMB and awww MQQ are my regular!

I like the square call button, with a cabin crew carrying a tray sign on it!

Edited by affendi osman

My last moment onboard B734 on 9th June 2014 flight MH1161 PEN/KUL 9M-MMD emergency seat 11C. Good bye, thanks & take a rest forever. I'm really hope, MH will deploy smarties colourful seat in some of their B738 planes.

Wait, going to the scrap?

I'm really hope, MH will deploy smarties colourful seat in some of their B738 planes.

Oh please, no !! :)

My bad. Yes there were 9 B735. MFA to MFI.

I have been on the B735 too at one point, between KUL-BKI and SIN-BKI too.

What was the reason that MH had to get rid of the B735 and B733F?

I'm really hope, MH will deploy smarties colourful seat in some of their B738 planes.

you must be kidding? some time ago, when MH first put this "smarties cover" on the 734 seats being laughed and criticized by a bunch of "basher", and now, MAS finally retiring the classics (some basher might called it "antique" or "dinosaur") by the modern (some basher might not think too modern too) 738.

no offense to you bro, just that being tiring to see these "basher" :friends:

Edited by Samuel Chy

Only Ikman wants the Smarties and he is not one of the bashers.

I think all the bashers stood still with our judgement. No changes of status quo.

The bashing thread: http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9101

What I mean only the concept of smarties colour not the type of cushion. Smarties colorful seat become MH's "trademark" and represent our's National flag colour. :)

Sign in to follow this