MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Fitri Shukri

USAF F22 Raptor to exercise with RMAF fighters?

I'd never thought that you still need to engage in dogfight, especially when you can hit without seeing your enemy.

I'd never thought that you still need to engage in dogfight, especially when you can hit without seeing your enemy.

Can our jets actually do that? :shok:

The protocol would be engagement within visual range I think. Our Sukhois have no chance if its BVR engagement, those Raptors are stealth. The USAF is also not really keen on others knowing the radar signature of the F22s in BVR conditions. No matter how small

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

I'm sure when they flew in the TUDM radar boys didn't notice them.

More likely, mindef will claim our radar is the first able to detect and track stealth fighter. Hence, sent sukhoi and mig to intercept.

I think the Sukhois and MIGS will totally ace any dogfights with the Raptors, we got the home advantage.

Home advantage in open sky?

Military air exercise is not just about who shoots who...

Every air force that enters an exercise have their own precise objectives that they want and need to achieve. Sometimes they also limit the extend the pilots can utilize their aircraft/weaponry/radar, just like how the IAF didn't allow their pilots to switch on the radars of Su30MKI during air exercise with the RAF's Typhoon a few years ago.

Its the Debriefing after every air exercise that is most important. From the debriefing new tactics and strategies will be developed or enhanced existing tactics.

Our RMAF goes dogfighting the F22 knowing the advantage the Raptors have in terms of stealth. Its a good early exposure for RMAF facing stealthy fighters since China and Russia is developing their own stealth fighters which may one day end up with the Indonesian.

Sign in to follow this