MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia Purchased 100 Airbus A321neo at Farnborough Airshow 2016

Those seats over the wing also look bad - 28" pitch!

Edited by flee

Are they serious about those relocated WCs at rear ?!

They look quite inhumane, on paper at least :)

I think that this kind of Spaceflex configuration is only good (for pax) for flights not exceeding 2½ hours.

Are they serious about those relocated WCs at rear ?!

They look quite inhumane, on paper at least :)

Yes, Wizz Air and Vueling have started using Spaceflex. :)

A video on how it works:

Edited by JuliusWong

Yes, Wizz Air and Vueling have started using Spaceflex. :)

A video on how it works:

Reminds me of our own Maswings ATR72-500 WCs...Very hard to manouver in..Especially if you're taking care of your kids "business"...

AirAsia explains drivers behind big order for high-density A321neos

......AirAsia’s upgauging is, Fernandes says, largely owing to slots and capacity, which interestingly sits in the context of a wider discussion at Farnborough about the growing average size of narrowbody aircraft. Boeing estimates that this average is growing at over one percent per year — nearly two seats annually.

......The second reason — that the ancillary revenue opportunities of galley space is desirable for an LCC like AirAsia — is perhaps more important.

.......But, RGN asked Fernandes if the passenger experience will be different, or the same? “Same. The same experience. We’re going to try to keep [the turn] to twenty-five minutes. The only difference is we’ll use a back steps to board people. I’d love triple steps. Two in the front, one in the back,” he assured.

Those two would be at doors one, rather than 1L and 2L, Fernandes told RGN. “I’d need lots of airport support and lots of security people to agree it, but yes, that would be the best, two in the front and one at the back.”

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/07/13/airasia-explains-drivers-behind-big-order-for-high-density-a321neos/

Be ready to climb stairs.......

When I went to AKL via OOL, we used stairs at OOL. It is nice to smell jetfuel again - kinda missed the LCCT experience. But the stairs at OOL were rather wobbly - so you need to be careful! We also used the stairs at AKL to disembark - those stairs were sturdier and we got great views of 3 Emirates A380s from the apron! Much better than the sanitised aerobridges...

When I went to AKL via OOL, we used stairs at OOL. It is nice to smell jetfuel again - kinda missed the LCCT experience. But the stairs at OOL were rather wobbly - so you need to be careful! We also used the stairs at AKL to disembark - those stairs were sturdier and we got great views of 3 Emirates A380s from the apron! Much better than the sanitised aerobridges...

Agree, I done same for SYD, MEL, AVV. Give me boarding via stairs over aerobridges any day! Even on rainy days! Really miss LCCT days, especially boarding A333 and A343.....the close encounter with sheer size of the aircraft was simply amazing. Not to forget, selfie opportunity!

Malaysians' life are too pampered, too bad we don't get stair boarding anymore at KUL

Agree, I done same for SYD, MEL, AVV. Give me boarding via stairs over aerobridges any day! Even on rainy days! Really miss LCCT days, especially boarding A333 and A343.....the close encounter with sheer size of the aircraft was simply amazing. Not to forget, selfie opportunity!

Malaysians' life are too pampered, too bad we don't get stair boarding anymore at KUL

Whilst I agree, only aviation nuts will say this :D

Well, the only problem with stairs is that the old, infirm and disabled pax will find it difficult to board.

While in NZ, I took flights between AKL and CHC. NZ airports are pretty good - they have aerobridge boarding in front while I chose to board using the stairs at the back because my seat was nearer the back of the ANZ A320.

Whilst I agree, only aviation nuts will say this :D

And kids too...

When Subang still had that spiral ramp, I remember being in awe of the aircraft that we were walking down to. It helps inspire kids to maybe pursue a career in aviation if they are exposed to such things....

AIRASIA IS LAUNCH CUSTOMER FOR THE MIRUS HAWK

AIX-ah-3a-19.jpg
7TH APRIL 2016
Mirus Aircraft Seating yesterday announced that the launch customer for the Mirus Hawk, short-range economy seat is the low-cost Asian carrier AirAsia. At the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, an agreement was signed by the CEO’s of the two companies, Phil Hall and Tony Fernandes. The deal will see AirAsia retrofit all existing and new Airbus A320 aircraft with the lightweight Hawk seats, and Mirus will also provide the Hawk for its Airbus A320neo fleet, upon regulatory approval. In total this is some 312 aircraft.
Tony Fernandes said AirAsia has had lots of issues with seats in the past 15 years and that they were really happy with the Hawk due to it being lightweight, thin but comfortable and easier for maintenance with less moving parts. It is also 40% lighter than conventional seats. Another issue Mirus is confident that it can address is the difficulty in getting spare parts on time and therefore reducing the risk of a grounded aircraft.
More:
Edited by flee

When Tengku Azmil was pictured in a sliding regional J seat in MH a few years back, it looked uncomfortable as if he would be ejected from the seat... This one too, but I hope comfortable enough for short trips (and the not-so-cheap-price-nowadays)

AirAsia up-gauges with a 100 A321neo order; outlook improves and China in its sights

AirAsia has joined other leading LCC groups in Southeast Asia by deciding to add higher density narrowbody aircraft. The 100 A321neos ordered by AirAsia at the 2016 Farnborough Air Show will enable the group to maximise slots at infrastructure constrained airports and further reduce unit costs.

The new order also enables the AirAsia Group to meet a requirement for additional aircraft that has surfaced due to the establishment of a leasing subsidiary which is looking at potentially placing some of the group’s future aircraft with third party customers. AirAsia joins rival Lion Group and VietJet Air in pursuing potential opportunities to lease out some of 1,150 aircraft the three Southeast Asian groups have on order – a staggering number of aircraft that likely cannot be absorbed entirely by their own airline subsidiaries or affiliates - but which they need to have available in case high forecasts materialise.

The new deal lifts AirAsia’s narrowbody order book to 404 aircraft, including 304 A320neos to be delivered from 2H2016 through 2028 and 100 A321neos slated for delivery from 2019 to 2028. The group took its last A320ceo in 2Q2015 and currently operates 171 of the type from bases in five countries.

AirAsia now has more than 400 A320 family aircraft on order:

AirAsia upsizes A320neo order to larger A321neo

Le Bourget AirAsia will upsize its future Airbus single aisle fleet, converting 253 orders for the A320neo to the larger A321neo version. The change will enable the airline to offer higher capacity in response to ongoing strong demand across its network. AirAsia becomes the worlds largest customer for the A321neo.

In total, AirAsia has placed orders for 592 A320 Family aircraft. Following the upsizing, AirAsias backlog with Airbus includes 353 A321neo. To date, the airline has taken delivery of 224 A320 Family aircraft, flying out of its bases in Malaysia, India, Indonesia, Japan, the Philippines and Thailand.

The A321neo is a member of the best-selling A320 Family incorporating the very latest technologies including new generation engines and Sharklets, which together deliver fuel savings of 20 percent. At the end of May 2019, the A320neo Family had received more than 6,500 firm orders from over 100 customers worldwide.

Source: https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/06/airasia-upsizes-a320neo-order-to-larger-a321neo.html

According to Airbus' Production and Delivery list, Airasia still has 1 A320 Ceo and 14 A320 Neo aircraft to be delivered.

Airasia should receive its first A321 Neo from their original A321 Neo order (100 planes) later this year. A321-251NX MSN 9139 has been allocated to them.

LARGEST ENGINE ORDER IN AVIATION HISTORY BY VALUE

LE BOURGET — 18 June 2019 – AirAsia and CFM International today finalized an agreement for the purchase of 200 LEAP-1A engines to power the airline’s 100 Airbus A321neo. The airplane order and intent to purchase the engines were announced in July 2016.

At the same time, AirAsia has expanded its 20-year Rate-Per-Flight-Hour (RPFH) agreement to encompass its entire fleet of 808 LEAP-1A engines for a combined total value of $23.1 billion U.S. at list price.

More:

https://www.cfmaeroengines.com/press-articles/airasia-cfm-sign-23-1-billion-u-s-order/

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/paris-airasia-seals-deal-for-200-leap-engines-459071/

I wonder which AK routes will get the a321s first.

Also I wonder if D7 will take on the a321s and deploy it for long and thin routes for seasonal purposes. Hokkaido can work with the high density a321 when the a330 is too much i feel.

Any mention of the number of seats on those A321Neo? And are they the same as BA's A321-271NX? Those have 205 seats if not mistaken and listed as "domestic" on seatguru website.

Still Hokkaido is 6 - 7 hours from KUL.

Any mention of the number of seats on those A321Neo? And are they the same as BA's A321-271NX? Those have 205 seats if not mistaken and listed as "domestic" on seatguru website.

Still Hokkaido is 6 - 7 hours from KUL.

IIRC, they said 236 seats last year at Farnborough. It should be the bog standard version as Airasia does not need any LR or XLR versions for their four hour flights.

I wonder which AK routes will get the a321s first.

Also I wonder if D7 will take on the a321s and deploy it for long and thin routes for seasonal purposes. Hokkaido can work with the high density a321 when the a330 is too much i feel.

I would imagine on those routes that are usually full - e.g. KUL-HKG, KUL-DPS, KUL-CGK, KUL-DMK, etc.

D7 makes their own orders but their cabin is usually two class - perhaps in D7 configuration, it will have around 180-200 seats. D7 has not made any A321 Neo orders as yet. I believe that they are still discussing on how to modify their MoU for 34 A330-900s to include the A321 Neos.

Edited by flee

The seat map is out. Still unable to get the full resolution yet.

236 seats, 5 cabin crew.

A21-N-Seat-Map.jpg

It would be interesting to see how the A321 is deployed - it has 50 more seats.

I would think that initially, they will be sent on high demand routes first. But when these are fulfilled, what next? Will they reduce frequency if the planes fly half empty?

It would be interesting to see how the A321 is deployed - it has 50 more seats.

I would think that initially, they will be sent on high demand routes first. But when these are fulfilled, what next? Will they reduce frequency if the planes fly half empty?

slam in more "zero fare" seats. disrupt the market and then proudly call themself the market leader

slam in more "zero fare" seats. disrupt the market and then proudly call themself the market leader

...and then wonder why MH doesn't make money :p

Sign in to follow this