MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JuliusWong

AirAsia drops Miri-Terengganu route from June 1

BUDGET carrier AirAsia Bhd is cancelling its thrice weekly flights linking Miri-Terengganu from June 1 “due to commercial reasons”, it said in a statement today.

Passengers affected by cancellation can bring forward their flight date without any extra charges and subject to availability, AIrAsia said.

Alternatively, affected passengers can be offered a credit shell for the value that they paid with a validity of 180 days or get a full refund.

“Guests can also get in touch with AirAsia’s customer care team via social media by simply tweeting to twitter.com/AskAirAsia for further enquiries about this route suspension.”

This route was only started in late March if I remember correctly with three flights per week. So only lasted about 10 weeks. Forward bookings must have been low. I wonder what load factor they have had on these flights.

Geoff

This route was only started in late March if I remember correctly with three flights per week. So only lasted about 10 weeks. Forward bookings must have been low. I wonder what load factor they have had on these flights.

Geoff

Yes, late March alongside with MYY-PEN-MYY; when those school children were having their holidays. I hope MYY-PEN-MYY can sustain and grow, load factors should be ok for PEN, short advance purchase price seems to be on rocket high fares brackets.

Oil folks in Miri & Kerteh don't see the need to travel budget?

I believe Air Asia was trying on the oil folks response between the two cities...

Wow 1 June is the start of school holidays in Malaysia and most people in Sarawak also take extended holidays due to Hari Gawai. I guess the load must have been pretty bad then for AirAsia to make such decision. The other reason could be they can deploy the plane to other route whcih makes a better return?!

I wonder if the media has been late in reporting this or AirAsia actually took the decision to axe the route in less than 2 weeks from now.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know how's Kuching - Langkawi and Kuching - Kota Bahru doing? I hope they are facing the axe too... :(

Unfortunately, AirAsia is looking at wrong market if they are looking into O&G markets. Most of the oil companies have their preferred airlines for staff travel. Usually the preferred airlines are premium airline, not budget carriers. I am not saying AirAsia is dangerous, just that most oil companies have such travel policy.

And those oil folks are paid so well, I highly doubt they will nit and dime on their travel.

Kuching-Kota Bharu sector is very good load. The pax hardly fell below than 75%. And AK also make extra flights on certain day. One of reliable source in KBR said, KBR-KCH demand is better than KBR-BKI.

Well new routes are usually a hit and miss thing. But AK is trying to develop MYY into a hub. So lets see what they will do next.

TGG is not just for business like oil & gas, while TGG gets to access to beautiful Perhentian & Redang Island and MYY gets the exotic Niah Cave.

TGG is not just for business like oil & gas, while TGG gets to access to beautiful Perhentian & Redang Island and MYY gets the exotic Niah Cave.

Actually Perhentian is far from TGG that most people heading there flies into KBR instead.

Having stayed in Miri for 2 years, I put in my 2 cents worth - there is simply not enough traffic to sustain this route.

Geoff

Started on 20 Mar 2014. Probably load factor not as good as another new route launched in the same month (KCH/KBR). I think they will replace this route by introduce MYY-KBR.

Ehh...I thought Uncle Tony say Miri is a success and Kuching a failure? Kuching mostly serves as a hub for people connecting from Sibu Bintulu and Miri...now with direct flights from Miri...surely it looks like there's a sudden growth...people used to flying through Kuching and Kota Kinabalu are flying direct now which makes the traffic from Kuching drop...I feel that the number of passengers are the same just spread out between Kuching and Miri now...an example...my colleague is from Penang but works in Miri...she would fly to Kuching 4 times a year to connect to Penang...now she flies direct...so looks like passengers Miri is booming while Kuching numbers are falling...in actual fact the numbers are actually the same. Make sense?

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Miri - Manila also dropped long time ago....

I have checked few days for MYY-PEN-MYY and MYY-TGG-MYY, PEN route has very good load (>50%) while TGG only <20 people per flight... :sorry:

Miri - Manila also dropped long time ago....

I have checked few days for MYY-PEN-MYY and MYY-TGG-MYY, PEN route has very good load (>50%) while TGG only

Interesting. How do you check the load of a particular flight? I always thought this kind of info is not made available to the public...

Interesting. How do you check the load of a particular flight? I always thought this kind of info is not made available to the public...

Airasia normally had already assigned those who bought the ticket 24 hours before the flight.

You may just try to book tomorrow flights as example to see the load.

like now is 11.30pm... u book the flight for tomorrow morning, the load should be just around there..it wont change much from the number of seated that you have count when u reach section select seat .

Sign in to follow this