MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Zamir

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH1438 strikes by lightning

Malaysia Airlines.A Malaysian Airlines flight had an engine burst on its wing while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi.

The MH1348 flight was believed to be struck by lightning during the flight from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

The plane has now landed safely at the Langkawi International Airport.

Here is an official statement released by Malaysia Airlines regarding the incident:

Malaysia Airlines flight MH1348 experienced a lightning strike during its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Langkawi. The flight landed normally at the Langkawi International Airport.

The aircraft was then immediately inspected and was subsequently released for service. Aircraft has arrived in Kuala Lumpur and continued its series of scheduled services without any problems.

Malaysia Airlines' aircraft are designed to withstand lightning strike and dissipate the electrical charges through the aircraft bonding system safety.

Safety and comfort of its passengers are of topmost priority to Malaysia Airlines.

http://www.malaysiandigest.com/frontpage/282-main-tile/501642-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh1348-strikes-by-lightning.html

Woo.... It must be a direct hit to the engine. What we read about, lightning strikes on airplanes is quite common but rare that a plane would have its engine "burst" from the incident.

Its really is a very critical situation. Good to know that it landed safely.

Woo.... It must be a direct hit to the engine. What we read about, lightning strikes on airplanes is quite common but rare that a plane would have its engine "burst" from the incident.

Its really is a very critical situation. Good to know that it landed safely.

Burst? Must be an exaggeration by the passengers :glare:

....... but rare that a plane would have its engine "burst" from the incident.

Thank you, Hollywood.

Remember the physics, even a lightning strike a car, the driver and passengers would be safe and sound as the tyres are perfect grounding.

I think my plane had lightning strike once. AK early days with B733, landing at KLIA in rain, got loud crack and blinding flash, plane shook a bit. :)

Remember the physics, even a lightning strike a car, the driver and passengers would be safe and sound as the tyres are perfect grounding.

If perfectly grounded should complete the electric circuit?

Edited by KK Lee

Not really.

===

Head for the car

If no structural shelter is available, hard-topped automobiles offer sufficient lightning protection. Vehicles such as golf carts and convertibles do not provide any lightning shelter. Roll up the windows and don't touch any part of the metal frame (like resting your arm on the window) or any wired device in the vehicle (including the steering wheel or plugged-in cellular phone). A direct strike to your car will flow through the frame of the vehicle and usually jump over or through the tires to reach ground. Most lightning incidents to cars result in one or more flat tires and damage to the electrical system, but no injury to the occupants.

If lightning does hit your car, it's a good idea to stop and check the vehicle. It's not uncommon for a strike to ignite fuel and result in a fire or explosion.

SOURCE: http://stormhighway.com/safety.php

Malaysia Airlines' aircraft are designed to withstand lightning strike and dissipate the electrical charges through the aircraft bonding system safety.

Safety and comfort of its passengers are of topmost priority to Malaysia Airlines.

Wonder which other airline's airplanes are also designed to withstand lightning strike. Very important... You don't wanna be on an airline whose planes are not protected from lightning strikes. I hope no such airlines operate in and out of the new KL airport KLIA2.

Wonder which other airline's airplanes are also designed to withstand lightning strike. Very important... You don't wanna be on an airline whose planes are not protected from lightning strikes. I hope no such airlines operate in and out of the new KL airport KLIA2.

Unlike you and me - a layperson wouldn't even know that every single aircraft in the world is built to withstand lighting strikes, so they had to make the distinction.

I will exclusively fly MAS from now on. Their planes can withstand lightning and Kancil strikes.

I will exclusively fly MAS from now on. Their planes can withstand lightning and Kancil strikes.

MH planes are not certified for Kancil strikes yet. Only Viva strikes. Next step after that somewhere down the line is to test against myvi strikes.

Sign in to follow this