MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia Becomes First Airline To Pilot INTERPOL I-Checkit System

KUALA LUMPUR, MAY 13 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd will pilot the International Criminal Police Organisation's (INTERPOL) I-Checkit system as part of ongoing efforts to enhance international travel security.

In a statement, the airlines said the system would screen the passports of all its prospective passengers against the world police body's Stolen and Lost Travel Documents (SLTD) database.

"Once implemented later this month, the pilot project will see AirAsia become the first airline to integrate I-Checkit with their own check-in systems during the passenger check-in phase across its entire international network, allowing passenger passport numbers to be compared against INTERPOL's SLTD database which contains more than 40 million records from 167 countries," it said.

AirAsia Group Chief Executive Officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes was quoted as saying in the statement that the partnership would result in improved passenger security and support its desire to offer low fares but with the added assurance that this system and partnership would provide.

The I-Checkit system will be deployed across all of AirAsia's international operations, covering a network of 100 airports across Asia and 600 international flights per day to more than 20 countries worldwide.

INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K Noble said this partnership would raise the bar across the industry for passenger safety and security.

"AirAsia has established the new standard for airline security by screening the passports of all international passengers against INTERPOL's database," he added.

Yes, hopefully the AK group will not find it too daunting a task as what the authorities here have made it out to be :)

Interesting that this is private initiative, not gomen one. I thought gomen should take the lead as this involves national security

Wow that's good news. I guess it does send the message to the public that they do take the effort to improve security, especially in the aftermath of the MH370 disappearance.

Am I the only person who feels that MH is getting a slap on the face for not being the first airline in Malaysia to implement this...

Wow that's good news. I guess it does send the message to the public that they do take the effort to improve security, especially in the aftermath of the MH370 disappearance.

Am I the only person who feels that MH is getting a slap on the face for not being the first airline in Malaysia to implement this...

I would like to think the hardest slap is felt by the Immigration DG. :)

Perhaps a statement to the authority that AK can do it and why can't you.

Yes and quite rightly so. AirAsia can at least be applauded for taking this initiative, even if it should be an Immigration responsibility.

However, I think the system will only provide a check for stolen, lost or maybe cloned passports, not forged passports.

I wonder how long before there will be a "hidden" fee added to your Air Asia booking for security checks?

Geoff

Aloyah? She's busy with her kueh lapis at Precint 2.

Congrats to AK for the continuous efforts in embarrassing the incompetent. You rock!

n also the Home Minister n Acting Transport Minister too....wonder what they hv to say....

Hehehehe, u guys give those incompetent people in authority too much credit. As a point of reference, look at how our universities slipped in the world rankings. And look at how the education authorities and Minister reacted - I don't think the Immigration DG nor Acting Minister will lose any sleep over this one... ;)

Although it is good that the AK group airlines are using the Interpol database to check passports, it will still not eliminate the problem completely. It is just another layer in the security system. But it is a positive move and should be applauded. :)

Yes and quite rightly so. AirAsia can at least be applauded for taking this initiative, even if it should be an Immigration responsibility.

However, I think the system will only provide a check for stolen, lost or maybe cloned passports, not forged passports.

If even the authenticity passports need to be checked by Air Asia, we're better off handing over the entire immigration task to them. Personally I don't think it's a bad idea at all :p

Would be interesting to find out whether this I-Checkit was under consideration by AK even before the chaos at klia2 last week at immigration hall and subsequent 'explanation' by DG

Would be interesting to find out whether this I-Checkit was under consideration by AK even before the chaos at klia2 last week at immigration hall and subsequent 'explanation' by DG

You mean the chaos at LCCT? No lah, it was AirAsia's fault for not relocating to klia2 earlier, as per Aloyah's explanation. "Who ask AK Group to mount so many flights per day?? Who ask? Who ask??"

Hehehehe, u guys give those incompetent people in authority too much credit. As a point of reference, look at how our universities slipped in the world rankings. And look at how the education authorities and Minister reacted - I don't think the Immigration DG nor Acting Minister will lose any sleep over this one... ;)

Although it is good that the AK group airlines are using the Interpol database to check passports, it will still not eliminate the problem completely. It is just another layer in the security system. But it is a positive move and should be applauded. :)

In defense of MOE poor management of our education system: http://www.therakyatpost.com/news/2014/05/09/global-ranking-basis-university-excellence/

True... now you've mentioned it does sound more appropriate that the initiative comes from the immigration department rather than an airline.

True... now you've mentioned it does sound more appropriate that the initiative comes from the immigration department rather than an airline.

Immigration DG n their bosses sure ain't losing any sleep over this for sure.....mainstream media headlines seems to be more interested in the Trengganu issue....

Detecting lost and stolen passport is not airline`s duty and every pax is a revenue, hence few airline is interested to use icheckit system.

irs good for AK to have introduced this passport checks - but just like many who will be wondering when AK will impose a fee for this or has it been hidden under its taxes and surcharges.

Detecting lost and stolen passport is not airline`s duty and every pax is a revenue, hence few airline is interested to use icheckit system.

Not if the pax is going to blow up the plane mid air

Not if the pax is going to blow up the plane mid air

Believe this is the duty of airport security else all other airline would be negligence.

Sign in to follow this