MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Singapore Airlines to Introduce Premium Economy Class Next Year

Singapore Airlines to Add Premium Economy Class Section on Some Flights

Singapore Airlines C6L.SG -0.39% built its brand by pampering its prized first- and business-class clientele. But with persistent weakness in high-end demand, the flag carrier is now looking at selling a more affordable luxury: premium economy.

The airline said Friday it plans to roll out the service on some flights starting next year. It will be playing catch-up with many rivals that already provide premium-economy cabins, which offer bigger seats and more legroom than standard coach.

They also offer fares that can be than 60% costlier than coach. That can be a boon for a carrier if coach passengers trade up, but not if business-class passengers—who on some routes pay fares that are more than five times coach—trade down.

Full article here- http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304655304579551362129363976?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304655304579551362129363976.html

Besides this, Singapore Airlines will also refurbish all of the 19x older B777-300ER with the new cabin products that was unveiled to the public last year.

Edited by Isaac

Good news! I really hope that SQ will come out with a product that has a 'wow' factor, unlike the CX premium economy...

On the other hand I am also hoping the introduction of the new PE cabin won't see any dilution on the economy class products.

Edited by H C Chai

The real danger is the price of this PE ticket and the proposed design and layout of the seatings, as SQ J class is much higher than other airlines, there will even be a likely migration from its biz class to PE.

More related news: http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/03/10/how-singapore-airlines-premium-economy-stacks-up-to-the-competition/

"Seat manufacturer ZIM Flugsitz GmbH was chosen for the A380 and 777-300ER fleets, while manufacturer Zodiac Seats US was chosen for the Airbus A350-900 fleet."

I think most airline nowadays copy one another. The seats seems very popular..

Presumably that leg rest only applies for the bulkhead row? Abit like CX's......if so, could be misleading to the public at large (but maybe that was the intention ...to create hype).

In fact, QR has such leg rest for its "normal" Y seats at bulkhead rows on its 77W, 330s..

Edited by Mushrif A

Presumably that leg rest only applies for the bulkhead row? Abit like CX's......if so, could be misleading to the public at large (but maybe that was the intention ...to create hype).

In fact, QR has such leg rest for its "normal" Y seats at bulkhead rows on its 77W, 330s..

The leg rest is standard for all seats.

The leg rest is standard for all seats.

Only the first row will have the leg rest attached with the calf rest. Other rows will feature a more conventional T-shaped leg rest which is attached to the bottom of the seat in front of them. Calf rests are available for all seats though

I'm confused... this has been on their website since April if not earlier. So is this just the launch of the full website and the mock up of the seats?

Anway, it looks like business class perks without the business class seats....

I'm confused... this has been on their website since April if not earlier. So is this just the launch of the full website and the mock up of the seats?

Anway, it looks like business class perks without the business class seats....

This was the mock up of the seats preview to media. The website was up earlier, now with more details including the first flight in service.:)

Only the first row will have the leg rest attached with the calf rest. Other rows will feature a more conventional T-shaped leg rest which is attached to the bottom of the seat in front of them. Calf rests are available for all seats though

Thank you for the correction. I always think both are the same. in reality they aren't

I fear that some companies, including mine, will start forcing us to fly economy plus instead of business. I think SQ is taking quite a risk...

I fear that some companies, including mine, will start forcing us to fly economy plus instead of business. I think SQ is taking quite a risk...

Companies are more likely to trade from J to PY, while private pax trade up from Y to PY. Overall yield is expected to drop.

Sign in to follow this