MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

Woman remembers cockpit fun with missing pilot

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/03/11/19/08/woman-remembers-cockpit-fun-with-missing-pilot

Believe this is the allegation which was mentioned by MAS.

I believe the captain on that flight is now detained by MH management for further questioning of their unnorm behaviour and protocol violation.

Can someone in the air force once and for all confirmed IF yes or no they manage to track the aircraft flew over the peninsula towards the west coast!

The air force base on east coast is not very far from the location where plane disappeared !Surely their primary and secondary radars MUST have picked up the signal of the aircraft flying over our airspace!They first mention of this at 2nd day press conference .Does it take this long to verify once and for all a triple 7 actually flew over their controlled zone.

One person claims to book the flight, but never made it due to personal reasons.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/the-tweets-from-a-passenger-who-claims-to-have-missed-boarding-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/story-fnizu68q-1226852311845

Seems like those 4 passengers never reached the check in counter.

Edited by Johan Z

Something on the ACARS.

Flight MH370 sent engine data before vanishing, says magazine

The missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER sent at least two bursts of technical data back to the airline before it disappeared, according to the New Scientist magazine.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/flight-mh370-sent-engine-data-vanishing-says-magazine-230312419.html

A very interesting theory of what could have happened:

"It’s plausible that a fuselage section near the SATCOM antenna adapter failed, disabling satellite based - GPS, ACARS, and ADS-B/C - communications, and leading to a slow decompression that left all occupants unconscious. If such decompression left the aircraft intact, then the autopilot would have flown the planned route or otherwise maintained its heading/altitude until fuel exhaustion. A slow decompression (e.g. from a golfball-sized hole) would have gradually impaired and confused the pilots before cabin altitude (pressure) warnings sounded.

http://mh370lost.tumblr.com/?og=1

If the event happened, its unlikely the plane is on the planned flight route since then it would have been detected by Vietnam and China authorities already whether with or without transponder switched on. Moving unidentified dot on the radar screen will surely raise alarms.

Edited by Cire

Something on the ACARS.

Flight MH370 sent engine data before vanishing, says magazine

The missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER sent at least two bursts of technical data back to the airline before it disappeared, according to the New Scientist magazine.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/flight-mh370-sent-engine-data-vanishing-says-magazine-230312419.html

That could mean anything, just before crashing? Or way before ? not credible enough.

was reading the WSJ just now and they have a headline "Conflicting Radar Report Cloud Search for Plane"

so basically because some ****** (just fill your own adjective here) reporter decided to write an unconfirmed story (i wonder who the source is and if the reporter even understand what he/she was reporting) about the military tracked the plane to the west coast, now the headline is "Conflicting Radar Report"

exactly the kind of news i was expecting to hear really (from supposedly "world class" media) that the they won't disregard the dubious report received earlier even with offcial clarifcation/statement

Can someone in the air force once and for all confirmed IF yes or no they manage to track the aircraft flew over the peninsula towards the west coast!

The air force base on east coast is not very far from the location where plane disappeared !Surely their primary and secondary radars MUST have picked up the signal of the aircraft flying over our airspace!They first mention of this at 2nd day press conference .Does it take this long to verify once and for all a triple 7 actually flew over their controlled zone.

Definitely some info are not deluged here by the military... (speculative - radar actually not working and Malaysia does not want people to know or embarassed by it?) Or somehow, someone slacked on their job. Or its truly a national security matters that strict no disclosure is abided here. But then, in this situation....

Malaysia Failing to Manage Crisis Exposes Leadership Limit

........“There are big issues -- transparency, information sharing, questions associated with security,” said Bridget Welsh, a political science professor at Singapore Management University. “They are not in control of the discussion and the problem is they’re not instilling confidence. Everyone wants to give them the benefit of the doubt but this is a crisis of credibility for the administration.”

More at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/malaysia-failing-to-manage-plane-crisis-exposes-leadership-limit.html

More opportunists ....

Don't forget, even the NTSB ain't going to be giving you full briefings everyday about what they find out :)

There may be more information out there than you are privileged to know .... who knows...

News outlets are really flipping burgers on this one.... Whatever they're publishing, they know for sure you're going to read it and share it.... They'll throw anything out there.

I know some people in this forum don't agree with me. I don't see the benefits of PC every 2 hours when they can release verified information online. They can still have PCs for journalists' questions. The more PCs they have, the more repetitive questions being asked. 5 became 4, yes became no and no became yes. It only added into confusions and distracted the fact that SAR teams worked their butt off to find the wreckage.

PM promised for transparency, well, some information only surfaced 5 days later.

I am surprised by all these he said, she said, they said, I did not say ... every single press conference is thoroughly covered by the media and certainly they are recorded by many parties including Malaysia Airlines and the DCA and other government bodies.

Perhaps it is time to collate recordings of each and every single one ... do a transcript of them including translation for questions asked in Malay (and answered similarly.

This way, there will be no need to say he said I said what I say I did not say.

KC Sim

Definitely some info are not deluged here by the military... (speculative - radar actually not working and Malaysia does not want people to know or embarassed by it?) Or somehow, someone slacked on their job. Or its truly a national security matters that strict no disclosure is abided here. But then, in this situation....

Well if it is due to someone slacking while doing they're job, they just have wasted 4 days of search.

Well in my opinion if it is a matter of national security not to disclose to the public well that is understandable. Though I think in THIS kind of situation, it is safe if not crucial to reveal just this information to the SAR teams to aid the search. (Maybe and hopefully they did)

They could have notified that they have found some useful information and passed it to SAR details confidential. It gives hope. Much more that "cannot confirm".

Again, just my opinion though.

........“There are big issues -- transparency, information sharing, questions associated with security,” said Bridget Welsh, a political science professor at Singapore Management University. “They are not in control of the discussion and the problem is they’re not instilling confidence. Everyone wants to give them the benefit of the doubt but this is a crisis of credibility for the administration.”

More at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/malaysia-failing-to-manage-plane-crisis-exposes-leadership-limit.html

No sympathies for them there. As I've voiced out on Monday, the overall impression/attitude given is that Malaysia is not voicing herself professionally. Huge boo to the media as well, national papers giving airtime to "bomoh" ??!

This is not criticism towards the SAR team, whose efforts are nothing short of world class.

Nearly 12 hours since last statement from MH, which apart from timing really needs to hire a better writer. What would you feel reading this without knowing the background : (http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/mh370-copilot-shown-smoking-bringing-women-in-to-cockpit/story-fnizu68q-1226852101179)

QReMYa8.jpg

No mention about the captain in the photos either which I would be more worried about on my next flight !

Malaysia, aspiring to become a developed nation in six years, is finding that more than 50 years under one coalition and tight control over information is a mismatch for handling a rapidly growing crisis followed across the world.

China is calling on Malaysia to be more transparent as Prime Minister Najib Razak lets his cousin, Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, be the face of the investigation into why a Malaysian Airline System Bhd. (MAS)plane vanished on March 8. It was en route to Beijing with 239 people on board. Investigators from at least nine countries are trying to locate the jet.

Najib’s United Malays National Organisation leads the coalition governing the Southeast Asian nation. Only in recent years has it seen a move toward more competitive elections, in some districts, that put a premium on public speaking. The government’s lack of a clear message, compounded by a series of false leads on the plane’s whereabouts and questions on coordination, risks undermining its image internationally.

“They’re handling a huge global issue as if it was domestic politics,” said Clive Kessler, Emeritus Professor of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, who has analyzed the nation’s politics for half a century. “With the cause of the disappearance still unknown you can understand the need for discretion and caution but it’s being perceived in Malaysia and elsewhere in the region as a bid to hide the truth.”

‘Doesn’t Work’

Najib’s administration is sending the message that people should let the “government tell them what they need to know, when they need to know it, and not before,” Kessler said. “That’s the way they’ve acted for generations and they are starting to find out it doesn’t work anymore.”

Many newspapers and television networks in Malaysia are controlled by the government directly or indirectly. And Najib, 60, has yet to make good on a pledge to replace the nation’s Sedition Act with legislation that would protect free speech while preventing incitement of religious or ethnic hatred. The law, which dates back to 1948 when Malaysia was under British control, mandates jail sentences of at least three years for words deemed seditious, including those that “excite dissatisfaction” against the government.

Government-controlled Malaysian Airlines said in a statement yesterday it would “continue to be transparent in communicating with the general public via the media” on all matters affecting Flight 370.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/malaysia-failing-to-manage-plane-crisis-exposes-leadership-limit.html

Malaysian plane sent out engine data before vanishing

By Paul Marks | 11 March 2014 Tuesday | 17:23

The missing Malaysia Airlines jet sent at least two bursts of technical data back to the airline before it disappeared, New Scientist has learned. The data may help investigators understand what went wrong with the aircraft, no trace of which has yet been found.

To aid maintenance, most airlines use the Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS), which automatically collates and files four technical reports during every flight so that engineers can spot problems. These reports are sent via VHF radio or satellite at take-off, during the climb, at some point while cruising, and on landing.

Malaysia Airlines has not revealed if it has learned anything from ACARS data, or if it has any. Its eleventh media statement since the plane disappeared said: "All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with… ACARS which transmits data automatically. Nevertheless, there were no distress calls and no information was relayed."

This would suggest no concrete data is to hand. But New Scientist understands that the maker of the missing Boeing 777's Trent 800 engines, Rolls Royce, received two data reports from flight MH370 at its global engine health monitoring centre in Derby, UK, where it keeps real-time tabs on its engines in use. One was broadcast as MH370 took off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the other during the 777's climb out towards Beijing.

As the engine data is filtered from a larger ACARS report covering all the plane's critical flight systems and avionics, it could mean the airline has some useful clues about the condition of the aircraft prior to its disappearance. The plane does not appear to have been cruising long enough to issue any more ACARS reports. It disappeared from radar at 1.30 AM local time, halfway between Malaysia and Vietnam over the Gulf of Thailand.

Under International Civil Aviation Organisation rules, such reports are normally kept secret until air investigators need them.

Satellites deployed

Meanwhile, the search for the airliner and the 239 people on board continues, with satellite technology being deployed. China has repurposed 10 satellites, some thought to have high-resolution imaging capabilities, to help the search effort, while other satellites are providing precision weather information to Chinese ships and aircraft involved in the search.

The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation, which watches out for nuclear weapons tests worldwide, looked at its data for the last few days to see if its infrasound – below the range of human hearing – recordings, normally used to seek out the muffled crump of underground tests, contained any signature of an aircraft explosion. But it found nothing.

And an ambitious attempt to crowdsource the search has also taken off. Satellite imaging firm Digital Globe has divided up high-resolution images of the region of interest so that web users can scan them for signs of the plane.

A similar crowdsourcing effort was organised by Amazon when pioneer aviator Steve Fossett disappeared in 2007.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25201-malaysian-plane-sent-out-engine-data-before-vanishing.html

Edited by xtemujin

More opportunists ....

Don't forget, even the NTSB ain't going to be giving you full briefings everyday about what they find out :)

There may be more information out there than you are privileged to know .... who knows...

News outlets are really flipping burgers on this one.... Whatever they're publishing, they know for sure you're going to read it and share it.... They'll throw anything out there.

i totally agree with you....these people are being opportunists.....they don't really care about the accuracy of the news, they just want to write it and bring in more readers.....

i guess it's time for the authorities to do some sort of media blockade (they can always discuss with officials from other countries involved face to face), only answer questions that are given before hand or answer the questions based on priority (just like White House press conference), give the press conference only in Malay (nothing wrong with that since Vietnam would never give PC in English, neither does China, France or Japan for that matter) so that there would be no translation problem/misunderstanding and go scream at those stupid new outlets quoting unconfirmed sources as "official" stories

Nearly 12 hours since last statement from MH, which apart from timing really needs to hire a better writer. What would you feel reading this without knowing the background : (http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/mh370-copilot-shown-smoking-bringing-women-in-to-cockpit/story-fnizu68q-1226852101179)

QReMYa8.jpg

No mention about the captain in the photos either which I would be more worried about on my next flight !

The issue of the Captain is not pertinent to the current issue because the focus is on finding MH370.

The question that should be asked is why now? Why not report it in 2011 when it actually happened? What is the true intention for running this report?

As for the quality of the writing, try writing after taking only catnaps for 4 straight days.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

The issue of the Captain is not pertinent to the current issue because the focus is on finding MH370.

The question that should be asked is why now? Why not report it in 2011 when it actually happened? What is the true intention for running this report?

As for the quality of the writing, try writing after taking only catnaps for 4 straight days.

I agree how MH handles the allegation of the First Officer. Like my post earlier, they could question the captain who was on duty as his picture was also exposed. But again, focus should be looking for the plane.

Malaysia, aspiring to become a developed nation in six years, is finding that more than 50 years under one coalition and tight control over information is a mismatch for handling a rapidly growing crisis followed across the world.

China is calling on Malaysia to be more transparent as Prime Minister Najib Razak lets his cousin, Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, be the face of the investigation into why a Malaysian Airline System Bhd. (MAS)plane vanished on March 8. It was en route to Beijing with 239 people on board. Investigators from at least nine countries are trying to locate the jet.

Najib’s United Malays National Organisation leads the coalition governing the Southeast Asian nation. Only in recent years has it seen a move toward more competitive elections, in some districts, that put a premium on public speaking. The government’s lack of a clear message, compounded by a series of false leads on the plane’s whereabouts and questions on coordination, risks undermining its image internationally.

“They’re handling a huge global issue as if it was domestic politics,” said Clive Kessler, Emeritus Professor of Sociology and Anthropology at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, who has analyzed the nation’s politics for half a century. “With the cause of the disappearance still unknown you can understand the need for discretion and caution but it’s being perceived in Malaysia and elsewhere in the region as a bid to hide the truth.”

‘Doesn’t Work’

Najib’s administration is sending the message that people should let the “government tell them what they need to know, when they need to know it, and not before,” Kessler said. “That’s the way they’ve acted for generations and they are starting to find out it doesn’t work anymore.”

Many newspapers and television networks in Malaysia are controlled by the government directly or indirectly. And Najib, 60, has yet to make good on a pledge to replace the nation’s Sedition Act with legislation that would protect free speech while preventing incitement of religious or ethnic hatred. The law, which dates back to 1948 when Malaysia was under British control, mandates jail sentences of at least three years for words deemed seditious, including those that “excite dissatisfaction” against the government.

Government-controlled Malaysian Airlines said in a statement yesterday it would “continue to be transparent in communicating with the general public via the media” on all matters affecting Flight 370.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-11/malaysia-failing-to-manage-plane-crisis-exposes-leadership-limit.html

spot on.. all those years of " I say, you listen, listen, listen...." Now, they are not able to handle pressure from a more unforgiving international press and countries, where the level of transparency is much higher than Malaysia.

I agree how MH handles the allegation of the First Officer. Like my post earlier, they could question the captain who was on duty as his picture was also exposed. But again, focus should be looking for the plane.

Somehow, I think MAS should ignore tabloids allegation, and instead concentrate on giving out info that matters about the search.

Yahoo reports a local Vietnam daily, the country is scaling down their SAR operation. [to satisfy 'some individuals' here: this maybe false and sensationalism. AGAIN]

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/vietnam-scales-down-search-for-missing-malaysian-jet-24550.html

Yup, somebody mention this is not the way to treat your neighbor. Heck they may even stop other ships from getting near their territorial waters, citing their own country's security.