MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

Dunno if it's related but the 772 going out of service must be having an effect. My 715 retimed to 1210 from 0905. Using MRD which is inbound from JED now as 151 - and that's not the normal pattern

Dunno if it's related but the 772 going out of service must be having an effect. My 715 retimed to 1210 from 0905. Using MRD which is inbound from JED now as 151 - and that's not the normal pattern

Sorry to hear that. There will be a reciprocal effect with one less 772 in the fleet now. Still sad... How is the morale of the staffs at the airport? Any increased security checks? Obviously that would depend on where your destination is I suppose.

Ohh trust me, I did a fair share of "inter connecting" myself...but I must say that KLIA or MHAB, they do a good job when it comes to security.

One my KCH-KUL-HKG-TPE flight, I was called not once but twice to verify that I was indeed at the departure gate because my luggage was checked all through from KCH. My friend's luggage was off loaded because they thought he didn't show up.

In KCH at least, the MH's Gate Agents are good at verifying passengers, they would look at the face of the passenger, and engage is small talks. The AUX Police...not so, they only match the names on Boarding Pass and the name on the ID. They don't even look up to see my face.

I'm still praying and hoping for the best...

Any reports whether the fake passport passengers are Caucasians or Asians?

If its Asians but with some European names, it would have raised some red flags for the check-in, and border officers.

Sorry to hear that. There will be a reciprocal effect with one less 772 in the fleet now. Still sad... How is the morale of the staffs at the airport? Any increased security checks? Obviously that would depend on where your destination is I suppose.

Honestly - I did notice the staff looking more closely at passports today. But I don't know if that would have made a difference the other day. Can't explain it but there's a very somber feeling here.

Dad went to BNE yesterday morning. The airport security was tight till bags were told to open and checked one by one. When dad conducted briefing at KUL, few crew broke down. They also broke down while on board n while meal services was going on. Dad knew all the crew well on MH 370 ,working with them all this while. Most of the crew felt the loss. I heard this morning on light anud easy a crew by the name of Carol was telling that "media were talking about tech crew n pax. Why no one talking about cabin crew. Dont the have families n friends too". Still being optimistic over this. Hopeing for some good news. My family and I may be just family members to MAS family but we too feel the loss and grief. Could not imagine how those effected feel.

Edited by haansel

Info from Berita Harian.

http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/Nelayandakwalihatpesawatterbangrendah/Article/

Nelayan dakwa lihat pesawat terbang rendah

2014/03/10
Kuala Lumpur: Dua nelayan di Kelantan mendakwa melihat sebuah pesawat terbang rendah, kira-kira lapan batu nautika dari Pantai Kuala Besar, Kota Bharu, awal pagi Sabtu lalu.

Azid Ibrahim, 55, berkata dalam kejadian jam 1.30 pagi itu, dia sedang memancing bersama seorang rakan apabila jelas dapat melihat pesawat terbabit terbang di bawah awan, tidak seperti biasa.

“Kami pelik kerana biasanya, pesawat tak terbang serendah itu. Kami takut ia terhempas, tapi pesawat terbabit terus terbang rendah menuju arah utara,” katanya ketika dihubungi, semalam.

Azid berkata, dia menonton televisyen kelmarin dan terkejut apabila mengetahui kehilangan pesawat MH370 bersama 227 penumpang dan 12 kru sebelum rakan yang bersamanya ke laut, bercerita kisah mereka melihat sebuah pesawat terbang rendah kepada penduduk lain.

“Pagi tadi (semalam), beberapa anggota polis datang ke rumah mengambil keterangan bagi membantu siasatan kehilangan pesawat itu. Saya kemudian diminta ke balai polis untuk buat laporan selain menunjukkan lokasi terakhir melihat pesawat terbabit,” kata bapa lima anak itu yang membuat laporan di Balai Polis Pengkalan Chepa.

Ditanya sama sama ada melihat asap atau api dari pesawat itu, Azid berkata, mereka tidak melihat tanda menunjukkan pesawat berkenaan mengalami masalah. -berita harian

Honestly - I did notice the staff looking more closely at passports today. But I don't know if that would have made a difference the other day. Can't explain it but there's a very somber feeling here.

I agree. Was on on MH605 yesterday and the feeling at the airport and on the flight was very somber.

Moments from landing at SIN the crew gave a special update on how to use the lift rafts in the event of an emergency which I'm pretty sure isn't the usual SOP.

It is very sad to read hanseel's account of his dad's flight to Brisbane ... and of how the cabin crew members felt.

I absolutely could not imagine how the cabin crew onboard MH370 24 hours after the ill-fated flight were able to find enough strength to do their work and serve the passengers.

I mentally pieced together a picture of apprehension preparing to go to the airport, checking in, going to the gate and actually boarding 9M-MRQ (noting the very close resemblance between the letter "O" and "Q") and preparing for the flight.

What was it like when passengers began boarding and they have to put on a smile, welcome them onboard ... I imagine the apprehension (and certainly there were prayers) when the plane commenced its take-off ... and for the pilots, what were they feeling when the plane flew over where news report mentioned was the likely point the previous day's flight disappeared ... how did the cabin crew members find the strength to serve the meals in the way they know so well, knowing that this is about the time when their colleagues met their destiny the day before ... I picture the relief they feel after the plane landed at Beijing Capital Airport but I also picture they mayhem they get when they step into the arrival hall - facing the barrage of media people who cared not about how the crew (both tech and cabin crew members) felt but just wanted to get a soundbite to show their bosses that they did their work ... and worst of all, they might even have to face the fury of some of the families and relatives of the passengers lost on the previous day ... and conceivably, even get unkind remarks from the general public taking pot shots at them because they wear the uniform of the airline being featured on television round the clock.

I salute their professionalism for being able to do all their work in spite of the fact that many of them are personally grieving over the loss of friends and colleagues (not to mention family and relatives if any of the crew had these travelling on the previous day's flight). And if some of them suffered any emotional moments during the course of their work, it is totally understandable and I hope that colleagues rally around them to reassure them that all is well.

The airline is always quick to assemble team of caregivers to extend a support system to the grieving families and relatives of passengers ... I hope that the union and the airline management does not neglect to provide similar support for crew members (and subsequently, the staff who volunteered to be caregivers for passengers' families and relatives ... I have friends who volunteered when SIA's SQ6 crashed and again for MI185 ... they suffered tremendously and faced much verbal and even physical abuse ... and they took on the grief of those they cared for).

And so as we see, handling an accident such as this is a highly complex process ... and so let's be more patient than we want to be ... and be mindful of the feelings of those right in the epi-centre of it all. My prayers to all the crew/passengers and their families and relatives ... and my prayers also for the staff of Malaysia Airlines.

KC Sim

The Luigi fella made a TV appearance over in Thailand yesterday. Grinning from ear to ear. Thai police were making a fan-fare like event of it. Sorry, but I think they are being insensitive. There are hundreds of people outthere missing and hundreds more grieving.

Not to suggest anything here but according to posts in A.net, there is a big black market for stolen / fake passport in Thailand. Often people (incl. European) sell their passport to black market and claim "stolen"

Based on my experience, the passport checks at KLIA is pretty good. Had some problem boarding my flights to SGN and PER before this due to some issues regarding return ticket and ETA. The passport checks are much better than what I experience in some of the EU countries I've been to, France being the most notable case where the immigration officer seems to only glance at my passport while entering the country (i did arrive from the US so that might explain why)....

Then again, the stolen passport are EU passport which granted visa free travel to Malaysia so intensive checks might be a bit lacking. I'm pretty sure Malaysian authorities do check the Interpol database from time to time especially if an alert is given to them up front but on a normal day that might not be the case...

I really want to know the truth. Allegedly, Luigi left his passport at a shop, and an Italian picked up his passport the next day, claiming he/she knew Luigi.

Just noticed MH has changed KUL - PEK flight # to MH360.

More explanation from Malaysian authorities would go a long way in generating goodwill. Not necessary to release information as it comes in, but at least elaborate on why there are also searching Straits of Melaka (did Radar nearby pick something up to warrant this?) Area of Search for each vessel, if any searches are ongoing after dark etc etc

Even MH has not updated their "Update" page in 18 hours. Radio this morning still reading yesterdays news (quoting 24hours since missing, singapore joined search THIS morning ??!)

Based on my experience, the passport checks at KLIA is pretty good. Had some problem boarding my flights to SGN and PER before this due to some issues regarding return ticket and ETA. The passport checks are much better than what I experience in some of the EU countries I've been to, France being the most notable case where the immigration officer seems to only glance at my passport while entering the country (i did arrive from the US so that might explain why)....

I agree. France seems to be the worst. The immigration officer only glanced at my passport. Mumbling something incomprehensible, when I said "excuse me", she handed back my passport.

Edited by Johan Z

I've worked for a few airlines in a Reservations capacity so I can answer a few of these questions...

I think it depends on how the code-share or interline agreement is executed. Code sharing and interline agreement can be different for many cases, correct me if I am wrong.

Correct. Whether the passengers need to approach a transfer counter or not depends on whether the airlines in question have an Interline E-ticket Agreement (IET) and Interline Baggage Agreement with each other. Some airlines can also choose not to check passengers all the way through even if an IET exists, depending on circumstances.

But this is an international flight, from a point in Thailand (e.g. HKT) to KUL connecting on flight MH370.

Can Luigi and Christian be accepted on flight MH370 if they did an online check in and just went straight to the departure gate without going through the transfer counter at KUL after completing a flight with Bangkok Airways from HKT?

International to International does not require any security/immigration checks. Passengers can just transit gate to gate. Obviously, there is still document checking and bag screening at the boarding gate.

Domestic to Domestic is normally the same.

International to domestic and vice-versa will require immigration checks.

Does MH themselves have any aircraft involved in the SAR operation?

There are a lot of windows for observers on a B738 and flying at low level a lot more sea could be covered quicker.

Does MH themselves have any aircraft involved in the SAR operation?

There are a lot of windows for observers on a B738 and flying at low level a lot more sea could be covered quicker.

No airline would do that. They are just not trained to do that and that is not what they are supposed to do.

Really feel for the crew as well. I too have close relatives who are pilots, and cabin crews in the industry, and my relatives are as jittery as ever. We can only seek devine help to appease ourselves.

One can't act and go about their job as if there's nothing wrong, but they have to keep it professional, just like hospital nurses and doctors. They cannot have their emotions interfere with their job. For the nurses and doctors, its hard for outsiders to see them going about their work with almost no emotion for the patients but that is needed of them as the patients need them to stay focus and carry out their jobs as professional as possible.

A professional counselor interviewed on NTV7 yesterday. She said that when the affected said they are okay when asked, they are actually NOT. When one said to the grieving that "its okay, be brave, etc.." that only make matter worse. A simple hug and pat on the back will be much better than words of kindness uttered. If one have nothing else to say, just don't say it.

I can attest to it as I too is grieving.

Info from Berita Harian.

http://www.bharian.com.my/bharian/articles/Nelayandakwalihatpesawatterbangrendah/Article/

Nelayan dakwa lihat pesawat terbang rendah

2014/03/10
Kuala Lumpur: Dua nelayan di Kelantan mendakwa melihat sebuah pesawat terbang rendah, kira-kira lapan batu nautika dari Pantai Kuala Besar, Kota Bharu, awal pagi Sabtu lalu.

Azid Ibrahim, 55, berkata dalam kejadian jam 1.30 pagi itu, dia sedang memancing bersama seorang rakan apabila jelas dapat melihat pesawat terbabit terbang di bawah awan, tidak seperti biasa.

“Kami pelik kerana biasanya, pesawat tak terbang serendah itu. Kami takut ia terhempas, tapi pesawat terbabit terus terbang rendah menuju arah utara,” katanya ketika dihubungi, semalam.

Azid berkata, dia menonton televisyen kelmarin dan terkejut apabila mengetahui kehilangan pesawat MH370 bersama 227 penumpang dan 12 kru sebelum rakan yang bersamanya ke laut, bercerita kisah mereka melihat sebuah pesawat terbang rendah kepada penduduk lain.

“Pagi tadi (semalam), beberapa anggota polis datang ke rumah mengambil keterangan bagi membantu siasatan kehilangan pesawat itu. Saya kemudian diminta ke balai polis untuk buat laporan selain menunjukkan lokasi terakhir melihat pesawat terbabit,” kata bapa lima anak itu yang membuat laporan di Balai Polis Pengkalan Chepa.

Ditanya sama sama ada melihat asap atau api dari pesawat itu, Azid berkata, mereka tidak melihat tanda menunjukkan pesawat berkenaan mengalami masalah. -berita harian

Interesting. Flying low and level until out of sight towards north? Baffling.

QF has done it with a lost sailor in the Southern Ocean in a A333 before a number of years back.

the QF plane was chartered by the maritime agency i guess due to its range since it's in the middle of nowehere..

the current search area for MH370 is within military and maritime agencies aircraft capability (range, altitude etc) so it's unlikely that they would be using MH 738 to conduct the search as well....

Malaysian Home Minister says the passengers who used stolen European passports were of Asian appearance; criticises border officials who let them through

http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/missing-malaysian-jet-may-have-disintegrated-mid-air-source-claims

OMG, what a blow to the authority.

No doubt there are some Asians who are adopted by Europeans from small and adopted a caucasion name (Phillip Rosler, Germany's Finance & Tech Minister- 2013) but at least a cross-check would surffice to ensure all are in order.