MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

Seriously though, politicians should be more careful and not follow Malaysian politicians' footsteps. Doing so is fraught with danger.

Seriously, all politicians are the same.., giving us bunch of craps all the time. its in their DNA :D

Must be one heck of a credible lead for NSTP to be daring enough to carry this story.

Seriously, all politicians are the same.., giving us bunch of craps all the time. its in their DNA :D

Politicians are always trying to get attention to ensure their relevancy in their career. Any said, just take it with a pinch or two of salt.

(sarcasm mode switched on) How can the Australians issue conflicting reports? Only our Government is capable of doing that (sarcasm mode swiched off).

Begging your pardon, but how is incompetent reporting a case of Australians issuing conflicting reports?

The reports were not in conflict

Edited by Paul Saccani

Begging your pardon, but how is incompetent reporting a case of Australians issuing conflicting reports?

The reports were not in conflict

I am with you here, Paul. Thought I should not spoil the party here just yet, as some people are very supportive of their govt.

Please read the statement carefully again:

"But it turns out Mr Abbott was this afternoon referring to separate signals detected by search teams on Saturday and Tuesday, while Mr Houston was ruling out signals detected on Thursday."

I am with you here, Paul. Thought I should not spoil the party here just yet, as some people are very supportive of their govt.

Please read the statement carefully again:

"But it turns out Mr Abbott was this afternoon referring to separate signals detected by search teams on Saturday and Tuesday, while Mr Houston was ruling out signals detected on Thursday."

That wasn't what was said here, was it?

Maybe I am just grumpy, with our part of the cost already over RM60 million, we can't even get basic co-operation like the cargo manifest, so we at least know what we are trying to find. It isn't like there is any urgency after all.

There is a cult of secrecy in Malaysian governance, and these lives were but more sacrifices to that worship. The best thing that could come out of this awful event is a more open government, because the nation is being debilitated by excessive secrecy.

Wow, still not giving away the cargo manifest? I wonder why.

Anyway, was the investigation around MH653 shrouded by the same air of secrecy?

Edited by H Azmal

Saw in the headline the Chinese travel agent are boycotting MH.

I wonder if MH load to and from China has suffer a lot due to the incident-or MH load in general for that matter?. Any stat to back that up?

I wonder if MH load to and from China has suffer a lot due to the incident-or MH load in general for that matter?. Any stat to back that up?

Is KUL-PEK now back at 1x daily? Tried to book just now and I only see one flight for my dates.....

Could be a direct response. In which case - good, quick move on MAS' part.

Is KUL-PEK now back at 1x daily? Tried to book just now and I only see one flight for my dates.....

Could be a direct response. In which case - good, quick move on MAS' part.

Looks like it has indeed gone back to one daily. And they are keeping the less popular flight (MH360)... Bet most passengers have now opted to fly in via HKG (CX/KA) or SIN (SQ/MI) instead.

Anyway, for the cost conscious travellers, CX/KA give the best deal for flights to the Mainland China from Malaysia (just RM1254 for a return ticket to PEK compared to RM1621 by MAS).

Read somewhere that the Chinese based travel agencies are the one(s) with the major bookings in MH. Maybe that's why it is easier for MH to increase or decrease frequency in such short notice.

Not sure if this would help.

"In the past two weeks, the number of clients from northern China going to Malaysia has dropped by 50pc," Dun Jidong, a senior marketing manager at Ctrip.com, China's largest travel booking website, told the South China Morning Post (SCMP).

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news.cfm?NewsID=89059

MIR, are there any signs that air activity is reducing, now that the "pinger" can be heard?

Sounds to me the search operation from the air might be scaled down or perhaps discontinued..

From ABC news :

Retired Air Chief Marshal Houston says he is not confident about finding plane debris on the ocean surface.

"The chances of any floating material being recovered have greatly diminished and it will be appropriate to confer with Australia's partners to decide the way ahead later this week," he said.

Source : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-14/malaysia-airlines-mh370-underwater-vessel-to-be-sent/5388550

Coming back to the main question - if there is no debris how can they confirm it crashed? If there is no surface debris the underwater search might turn out to be even more difficult.

Coming back to the main question - if there is no debris how can they confirm it crashed? If there is no surface debris the underwater search might turn out to be even more difficult.

There might be debris but since there was a delay in searching to CORRECT location, that debris might have sunk. It is now over 1 month since the disaster. Do you think that there will be much debris left on the surface?

Wow, still not giving away the cargo manifest? I wonder why.

Anyway, was the investigation around MH653 shrouded by the same air of secrecy?

Following the leaks to CNN, the Malaysian govt. has issued another warning about keeping government secrets a secret:

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/stern-action-against-civil-servants-who-leak-putrajayas-secrets-bernama

It would appear that at least some of the stuff CNN is getting from "sources" is too close for the government's comfort.

This is most unfortunate, as people now are more and more convinced that the govt. has something to cover up... Unlike previous domestic issues, they can't do so now because this case is under the international spotlight. So covering up will have to be very cleverly done.

One issue that I don't get it is, why aren't the search ships equipped with oil/fuel test kits. Ships that collected samples would have to call port to have the samples tested.

It was reported that Ocean Shield detected oil slick on the ocean surface, and have collected samples.

Is the test kit too complicated or expensive to handle by crew of search ships? I bet the latter cause isn't the reason since millions are already spent in the search operations.

There might be debris but since there was a delay in searching to CORRECT location, that debris might have sunk. It is now over 1 month since the disaster. Do you think that there will be much debris left on the surface?

More than a month later, debris are probably thousands of km away, carried by currents. I bet they'd be washed up along Africa's eastern coastline soon.

One issue that I don't get it is, why aren't the search ships equipped with oil/fuel test kits. Ships that collected samples would have to call port to have the samples tested.

It was reported that Ocean Shield detected oil slick on the ocean surface, and have collected samples.

Is the test kit too complicated or expensive to handle by crew of search ships? I bet the latter cause isn't the reason since millions are already spent in the search operations.

My answer is purely speculative, I don't know what procedures are being used in this particular case.

I would doubt that it is a matter of a "kit" to analyse the samples. More likely a mass spectrometer or some such, which you wouldn't have much chance of operating on a ship, it is also costly and difficult to set up. It also requires someone who knows how to use it, which isn't trivial. Ditto would apply to many chemical analysis that might be performed, a ship borne environment not being conducive. Interestingly, the general area is known for natural seepages of a very light crude - light enough to use in diesel engines or turbine engines without being refined. This complicates matters.

Technically, there was some equipment in WA that would allow for an aerial pick up, I don't know if that aircraft is still here.

I don't know if you chaps have seen the extent of the AMSA search - it is many, many times the size of Malaysia, to give you some scale. I'm attaching a chart of todays search. The area marked "sonobuoy search" (1,550 km from Perth) is where the pinger was detected.

mr_021-1.jpg

More than a month later, debris are probably thousands of km away, carried by currents. I bet they'd be washed up along Africa's eastern coastline soon.

It usually takes more than year to get to Madagascar. It happens from time to time that boats slip their moorings in the middle part of the west coast, and they turn up in Madagascar long afterwards. But the currents in this region are somewhat unpredictable, they have many gyres and things do turn up in many unexpected places, and of course, there is the Indian ocean garbage patch, an area which collects all kinds of flotsam in a stable eddy.

it is surely a very very huge span of ocean to search. The ability to track and subsequently find the wreakage is nothing short of a miracle and some scientific contribution.