MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

from here: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26845118

And our Scorpenes ?

I thought it's said you cannot use just any submarine to go searching for such stuff ?

Scorpenes do not have any sonar equipment - so how to search? Now that the Hon. Minister said that they have neither active nor passive sonar, I wonder what these submarines are good for, sailing on the surface?

Trafalgar Class Submarines -

see Royal Navy Page here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Submarines/Fleet-Submarines/Trafalgar-Class

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafalgar-class_submarine

According to some news portal, Peter Jackson, the famous director of the Lord of the Rings have given permission for its private jet to be chartered for use in the search operations. The flagship Gulfstream G550 has long range capabilities. The jet can fly from NZ to LA non-stop. The 16 passenger jet cost an estimated USD 68millions.

I think its a good idea to rope in private jet owners for such lengthy operations. It will not strain the country's military assets in terms of air sovereignity and of course the fighter jets/transport planes' lifespan.

I wondered if Jacky Chan would also charter out his sponsored jet..?

Okay...any of our billionaires' jets volunteered to be chartered out for this operations?

Scorpenes do not have any sonar equipment - so how to search? Now that the Hon. Minister said that they have neither active nor passive sonar, I wonder what these submarines are good for, sailing on the surface?

Trafalgar Class Submarines -

see Royal Navy Page here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Submarines/Fleet-Submarines/Trafalgar-Class

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trafalgar-class_submarine

Dumbfounded...! No sonar? How does it navigate or protect itself? Mis-qouted perhaps?

Well, I think deploying military equipment only has a marginal impact. In normal times, the same equipment is still used - for training and other non essential duties.

However, if the search is supposed to go on for years, then other equipment will have to be lined up like a relay team. I would say that right now, the search is stepped up due to the 30 day pinger lifespan. After 8 April, the Aussies may have to revamp their search strategy and scale back to do a long term search.

According to some news portal, Peter Jackson, the famous director of the Lord of the Rings have given permission for its private jet to be chartered for use in the search operations. The flagship Gulfstream G550 has long range capabilities. The jet can fly from NZ to LA non-stop. The 16 passenger jet cost an estimated USD 68millions.

I think its a good idea to rope in private jet owners for such lengthy operations. It will not strain the country's military assets in terms of air sovereignity and of course the fighter jets/transport planes' lifespan.

I wondered if Jacky Chan would also charter out his sponsored jet..?

Okay...any of our billionaires' jets volunteered to be chartered out for this operations?

Dumbfounded...! No sonar? How does it navigate or protect itself? Mis-qouted perhaps?

Although Jacky chan is pro-China but I think he is more interested in hugging with lots of chicks and fly his chicks everywhere on his private jets or declare himself half Korean than worrying about other stuff.

our Scorpenes are diesel electric, won't be able to stay underwater for long not to mention would need resupply....those nuclear subs would definitely be more suitable for this task...the French deployed their nuclear sub as well for AF447 effort...

from here: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26845118

And our Scorpenes ?

I thought it's said you cannot use just any submarine to go searching for such stuff ?

our Scorpenes are diesel electric, won't be able to stay underwater for long not to mention would need resupply....those nuclear subs would definitely be more suitable for this task...the French deployed their nuclear sub as well for AF447 effort...

For SAR mission, submarine is not required to submerge for a long duration, and could resupply from Perth bi-weekly.

Going back to this theory, is it really possible for the US to remote control a Boeing 777 in reality? This would mean hacking into the controls and fly on the pilots' behalf.

If this works, it means altering the course of the 777 to the Indian Ocean and then crash there. I guess the valuable cargo can be retrieve by submersible devices?

With drones being flown by keyboard pilots half way around the earth, the possibilities are there.

If 777 could be hijacked remotely, couldn't imagine the liability Boeing and suppliers need to pay. 9M-MRO was delivered in 2002, believe FMS and flight control at that time lack the interface for real time connection.

Edited by KK Lee

For SAR mission, submarine is not required to submerge for a long duration, and could resupply from Perth bi-weekly.

true enough but would it be practical to utilize the Scorpene that has limited range for such mission considering the search location to the nearest base (which is off Perth)? Not to mention our subs don't have all the electronic goodies that those majors have on their nuclear subs....

diesel electric these days are design primarily to serve areas closer to shore rather than the open ocean...i'm pretty sure OZ would have send their own diesel electric (which is already based in Perth) if it's actually practical to do so for MH370 search...

even much earlier the defence minister who is also acting transport minister now said that the Malaysian subs are not equipped with actibe or passive radars to help. this is really strange as buying and paying billions for subs without radar/sonar capability??? Think there's a lot of questions to be raised following this sorry incident and even the military radar detection and non respond wven when the plane did not return to klia but continued on southwards. Believed yesterday the Australian provided a list of all countries assets - and one in particular mention Singapore sending its submarine as an asset.

Given the number of flying assets around the search area, Australia has announced that its RAAF Boeing 737 Wedgetail will be deployed to provide ATC coverage. This is to ensure that the risk of mid-air collision is reduced. Good call, Australia.

KC Sim

Yup, good call Australia! :)

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Australia to deploy flying air traffic controller

Australia will deploy a modified Boeing 737 to act as a flying air traffic controller over the Indian Ocean to prevent a mid-air collision among the aircraft searching for the Malaysia Airlines jetliner that went missing over three weeks ago, an official said Tuesday.

The E-7A Wedgetail equipped with advanced radar will be deployed "in the near future" to monitor the crowded skies over the remote search zone, former Australian defence chief Angus Houston, who heads the joint agency co-ordinating the multinational search effort.

More: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-australia-to-deploy-flying-air-traffic-controller-1.2593720?cmp=rss

Can't MH itself spare one 737? After all everyone is searching one of its own aircraft.

It just shows that Malaysia is sitting around waiting for others to do its job.

Edited by alberttky

Can't MH itself spare one 737? After all everyone is searching one of its own aircraft.

It just shows that Malaysia is sitting around waiting for others to do its job.

biasa-lah... Malaysia need someone to take the lead first, and wait and see if there's any grumbles from the inside and outside the country or not. If there' s none, continue to wait and see.

Just only last week that our team left for Perth, to join the search operations. Almost a full week after the Australian team have mobilised its and foreign assets for the search operations.

Now, only today Najib, and his agriculture and international ministers and scores of VIPs went over to Perth to "discuss" about the search operations.

In another note, although money is not the issue now, but ever wondered how much all this have cost to the foreign assets, MAS and Malaysia? I read somewhere that the cost is covered by the insurance companies, right?

On the search, won't it be more economical if the US naval move one of its aircraft carriers to the vicinity. Planes and helicopters can then make more sorties in the search area more effectively and can respond to any sightings quicker. But then....

Edited by Cire

I don't think the Minister ever said that. If yes, please provide the source.

As far as I know the Navy's explanation was that it is not using the submarines as its sonar is not designed to conduct seabed searches: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/11/missing-mh370-submarine-not-for-SAR/

yes MOT did say that - you have to refer back to one of the Press conferences where he gave this reply after a reporter asked him.

Just only last week that our team left for Perth, to join the search operations.

This has been explained before. The Navy originally tasked 6 ships to participate in the operation. However, the Government made the decision to withdraw 5 ships and to replace them with the C130s: http://www.malaysiandefence.com/?p=4284

yes MOT did say that - you have to refer back to one of the Press conferences where he gave this reply after a reporter asked him.

I'm sorry for being sceptical but such an astonishing admission would have been widely reported in the media but I have not managed to find any reference to it so far. How can a submarine move underwater without sonar?

The subs were to prevent a repeat of the Portuguese invasion centuries ago, but didn't work against the Suluk though. :D

Just saw this statement quoted from a Reuters report:

"We are very thorough in our probe. Even the four tonnes of mangosteens in the aircraft cargo is being investigated ... Investigators are looking into who ordered them, paid for them and plucked and packed them from an orchard in Muar. That is how in-depth this probe is going", Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said.

That sure is thorough ... please don't forget to check on the driver who delivered the fruits from the orchard to the airport, the folks who made the baskets or crates that contained the fruits and the ramp staff who drove the tractor that pulled the consignment from the airfreight centre to the aircraft.

KC Sim

The subs were to prevent a repeat of the Portuguese invasion centuries ago, but didn't work against the Suluk though. :D

LOL.

Last year around this time, many Malaysians glued themselves to the TV waiting for the live press conference too. One noticeable difference is that it was very easy for them to "handle" those journalists as after all, it was more of a regional issue and most of the journalists came from local press. But foreign journalists are different... and it's not that our ministers aren't used to handling this kind of PC... it's more like they are not used to "handling" foreign journalists... :D

"We are very thorough in our probe. Even the four tonnes of mangosteens in the aircraft cargo is being investigated ... Investigators are looking into who ordered them, paid for them and plucked and packed them from an orchard in Muar. That is how in-depth this probe is going", Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said.

I thought someone said earlier that the mangosteens came from Indonesia ? But repacked in Malaysia and stamped as "product of Malaysia" ?

That sure is thorough ... please don't forget to check on the driver who delivered the fruits from the orchard to the airport, the folks who made the baskets or crates that contained the fruits and the ramp staff who drove the tractor that pulled the consignment from the airfreight centre to the aircraft.

:good:

Yes, I heard it live from the Minister. He specifically said that the subs are not equipped with active nor passive sonar.

Just saw this statement quoted from a Reuters report:

KC Sim

Since the cops are at it, check also the ground crews that worked on MH370 that night. Did any one of them resigned suddenly or did not turn up for work etc.?

Since the cops are at it, check also the ground crews that worked on MH370 that night. Did any one of them resigned suddenly or did not turn up for work etc.?

Please don't forget to add cleaners, catering delivery, etc of that nights and few flights before.

The acting MOT lashes out at both Boeing and Rolls Royce for not stepping up on the plate and be accounted for in the MH370's disappearance.

According to him, its unfair for MAS to be singled out to answer to questions on as to why MH370 deviate enroute and disappeared.

Okay, I wondered what the act.MOT wants both manufacturers to say ...? To say that they suspected their plane's fuselage have sprung a leak and caused an unnoticeable cabin depressurization and thus the disappearing of the plane over the South Indian ocean? Or RR to say that its engines suddenly mysteriously accelerated pushing the plane to near its max ceiling level and causes the occupants all to die and the plane then decelerate and made a near miracalous uncomplete air turn back?

There are calls by a former MAS head that MH370 co-share partner, China Southern Airlines must also face the press and share the blame etc.

I see a desperate man here.

Yes, I heard it live from the Minister. He specifically said that the subs are not equipped with active nor passive sonar.

Again, I'm sorry but I find it difficult to believe that:-

(i) the Minister announced to the world that Malaysia bought submarines without equipping them with sonars. That's equivalent to buying a car that does not come equipped with headlights and tail lamps; and

(ii) the international media neglected to mention this in any of their reports.

I hate to trouble you but can you please provide the date of the press conference.

There are calls by a former MAS head that MH370 co-share partner, China Southern Airlines must also face the press and share the blame etc.

Code share partner China Southern Airlines will help families of passengers

Edited by hafiziza