MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

Very confused state of reports. At this stage, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of the missing passengers. I hope that the confusion can be sorted out as soon as possible and investigations will reveal the cause of this disaster.

I read about that as well on reddit. Plus Chinese official censored one of the pax names. Really hope MH will come out with a confirmation soon.

News conference just now mentioned that the contact was lost at 1.30am, and after much counter-checking with towers around the region, our DCA finally contacted MAS at 2.40am informing them it has lost contact with MH370.

After 3 hours or so, they managed to gather the team for a S&R. But because of darkness, the S&R team will only start at 1st.day light.

Is this SOP?

I wondered whether the tower have requested planes flying along route to look out for the MAS plane while pending for deployment of the S&R team?

It is indeed a sad day for every Malaysians. Hoping for a miracle.

News conference just now mentioned that the contact was lost at 1.30am, and after much counter-checking with towers around the region, our DCA finally contacted MAS at 2.40am informing them it has lost contact with MH370.

After 3 hours or so, they managed to gather the team for a S&R. But because of darkness, the S&R team will only start at 1st.day light.

Is this SOP?

I wondered whether the tower have requested planes flying along route to look out for the MAS plane while pending for deployment of the S&R team?

Yes, a lot of aircraft ard the area kept paging for MH370 at 121.5 frequency. Air Asia X Flight 506 to Seoul was right behind them on take off roll. They were paging frantically for MH370 as well. No response at all.

Many crucial hours were lost. Though of course maybe there were other things going on the other end that we the public we not made aware of that contributed to the time taken.

The really optimistic side of me still hopes that the aircraft has landed at a remote location with no network coverage whatsoever

Edited by SS Lee

ok.. still hoping for a miracle to happen from this.

NTV7 reports that Vietnamese authority reported oil sleeks in their waters.. consistence with an air crash. OMG..

Capt.Nik is on NTV7.. a lot of information.. thanks for making us understanding it more about MAS and the pilots.

I wonder if MH370 is still operating tonight or have they changed to a different flight number, so as not to confuse the investigation as well as making the passenger discomfort?

Feel sorry to hear about the incident and I still hope there are survivors. Vietnamese news has reported the sighting of two large patch of oil spills on the sea to the South of Vietnam........

Understand on 772, there is constant data link back to base and emergency beacon supposed to deploy automatically.

Believe mh is withholding these information.

US Seventh Fleets sends ship to assist in search efforts of missing MH370
8 March 2014 Saturday

SOUTH CHINA SEA, March 8 — USS Pinckney, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer conducting training and maritime operations in the South China Sea, is en route to the southern coast of Vietnam to assist in search efforts of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight.

The ship could be in vicinity of the missing jet within 24 hours and carries two MH-60R helicopters which can be equipped for search and rescue, said a statement from the US Seventh Fleet Public Affairs department.
A P-3C Orion aircraft will also depart from Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan bringing long-range search, radar and communications capabilities to the efforts.

US Seventh Fleets sends ship to assist in search efforts of missing MH370 | Malaysia | The Malay Mail Online

Is this SOP?

Yes, a lot of aircraft ard the area kept paging for MH370 at 121.5 frequency. Air Asia X Flight 506 to Seoul was right behind them on take off roll. They were paging frantically for MH370 as well. No response at all.

Very valuable information... explains why it took sometime between the disappearance and the delay in contacting MAS about it. But surely it was a bit too... long? I am no expert however. I just hoped there was no delay that lead to the late/slower deployment of the S&R team. So many joining the S&R efforts now...

As for the pilots who were at the XAX506... I couldn't imagine what and how they felt... must be so desperate, so helpless....difficult to describe in words.

Edited by eddy liew

The S&R is grilled on why it did not activate the search immediately this morning but then it can continue the search into the night?

The DCA seems not able to provide much more information and cannot determine at which point the contact was lost. Cannot even say its in our area or in Vietnamese border.

It appears that more information is coming in from overseas rather than from Malaysia.

And its also some conspiracy theories about the Italian passport got stolen but was on the flight manifest. The DCA appears clueless.

MAS is not ruling out anything, including terrorism.

The DCA and team looks stressed out.

Have been numb and in shock all day.

Whilst I may not been the biggest supporter of MAS Ive always believed (and still do) in their safety and will be flying them back to SG tomorrow.

Thoughts and prayers to those affected

It appears that more information is coming in from overseas rather than from Malaysia.

Not to nitpick, the crash site was close to Vietnam, hence most of the news came from there. Similar to Asiana crash, most of the news came from the US.

Malaysian team looks so uncertain as compared with international news reports.

The team is so stressed out.

Capt.Nik trying to zero in on the possible caused for the sudden disappearance and on why there's no alarm raised by the pilots.

Not possible that the plane broke apart when hit by severe air turbulence. Critical structural failure.

This is from Taiwan news website: http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20140308003502-260401

另外,美國駐華大使館稱,淩晨2點43分美軍駐紮在泰國烏塔堡軍事基地曾監聽到一段馬來西亞航空公司MH370航班緊急呼叫的SOS信號,客機駕駛員呼叫稱機艙面臨解體,他們要迫降。目前駐泰美軍已向馬來西亞方面提供這段信號。

Summary: US Embassy in China claimed that a Thailand US army base intercepted an SOS call at 0243am, the crew requested for emergency landing as they were encountering disintegration of fuselage. The US army personnel has handed over the call to Malaysia authorities.

This is from Taiwan news website: http://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20140308003502-260401

另外,美國駐華大使館稱,淩晨2點43分美軍駐紮在泰國烏塔堡軍事基地曾監聽到一段馬來西亞航空公司MH370航班緊急呼叫的SOS信號,客機駕駛員呼叫稱機艙面臨解體,他們要迫降。目前駐泰美軍已向馬來西亞方面提供這段信號。

Summary: US Embassy in China claimed that a Thailand US army base intercepted an SOS call at 0243am, the crew requested for emergency landing as they were encountering disintegration of fuselage. The US army personnel has handed over the call to Malaysia authorities.

Okay now here's an interesting twist in the crisis.