MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ashley Lee

MAS B772 9M-MRO Flight MH370 KUL-PEK Missing with All 239 POB Presumed Killed

any latest news? officials confirmed to crash? any survivers? all the best wishes and prayers with you for keeping them safely.

Agreed. Let's not make the mistake of linking up nasi lemaks with safety - I may not think MH has the best seats around, but i have never thought it unsafe, and i still think that way.

MH together we can get through this episode! I always find some of the best crews are MH's. Willing to go the extra extra mile to make up for hardware shortcoming.

Captain's daughter aboard 148 to come home to KUL inbound now, but broke down crying just before boarding. Hope the crew are taking good care of her.

Prayers to all involved.

Im still wondering why MH reports plane lost contact with Subang at 2.40am, while the location of last contact based on MH statement and FR24 Subang ADB-S feed was the same, some 40mins into flight.

God bless all souls on board.RIP.Very very sad day for malaysian aviation,malaysia airlines and all of us on this forum Just pray that the cause is not human error.Knew the IFS Patrick Gomez,was a gem of a person.

Edited by jadivindra

Prayers to all involved.

Im still wondering why MH reports plane lost contact with Subang at 2.40am, while the location of last contact based on MH statement and FR24 Subang ADB-S feed was the same, some 40mins into flight.

So far I heard 2 hours into flight. But some also reported shorter than that.

MH370 was tracked by a ADS-B receiver called WMKC1. A new one most likely based around KBR, though registration is old. I have WMKC2.

Some rumours now saying that wreckage was found on an island near the Vietnamese mainland with roof torn off. Anybody else heard this?

Some rumours now saying that wreckage was found on an island near the Vietnamese mainland with roof torn off. Anybody else heard this?

ON an island? now that's new news if true.

I heard on the news Vietnamese naval officer said the aircraft MAY crash. He retracted (I hope I heard it right) earlier statement. He received information from Malaysian S and R team. That's really confusing.

Edited by Johan Z

This is not a time to bash MAS or the management or the government or anyone working for MAS.

This is a time to bow one's head in memory of those who may have lost their lives ... and to extend our sympathies and condolences to those grieving the loss of their loved ones and friends.

This is a time to reach out to our friends in MAS and to our friends in Malaysia ... to let them know that we share their pains and their deep sense of loss.

I had the opportunity to fly twice last year on board MAS' B777-200ERs enroute from Kuala Lumpur to Los Angeles via Taipei ... and the second of these flights was operated by the ill-fated 9M-MRO. As far as those experiences go, those B777s were as sound as any I have flown at other times with other carriers.

Let wait for investigations to proceed and establish the cause(s) of this accident ... till then, let us not venture to pin the blame on any party.

A sad day for all and here in Singapore, we feel really close to all the grief felt by our dear friends in Malaysia.

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

I thought we should link these threads too, there are some info not available here but are available there:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6013265

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6013600/

What a terrible way to wake up just now with alarming text messages from friends and spies have been pouring in since midnight last night when I was asleep.

I apologise if this is too long, but it's from MAS conference, taken from reddit.

Summary:

MH 370, registration 9M-MRO

227 passenger, 2 infant, 12 crew

777-200 RR engine

Capt Zaharie Shah (18,000 hrs)

Aircraft departed at 12.41am LT (1641UTC) and its supposed to land at 6.30 am LT (2230 UTC)

Aircraft lost contact at 35,000 ft about 2hrs 30mins into flight. In Vietnam before entering China Airspace.

The aircraft does not have enough fuel to stay afloat up to now.

Source: Malaysia Airlines' news conference 15mins ago.

FAQ:

Any communications?

They have VHF, HF, SATCOM, ACARS, CPDLC and Malaysia Airlines are not in contact with them. Last contact is Vietnam and did not enter China/Hong Kong.

Any emergency beacon?

Yes. It has 2 ELT. One manual and one is always armed. They will be activated on impact. Search and rescue is happening now. For the VHF transponder, they would need to go within 250miles of the source. It will transmit over satellite too. MAS has this onboard

Did they land at Nanning?

Nope. Its from a fake source and local news picks it up.

Is it possible that they are still flying now?

Nope. The fuel would be depleted 2 hrs ago.

Is it hijacked?

Unlikely. Because radar, flight data, communications is lost.

North Korea involved?

Nope. North Korea is nowhere near this area.

Is it better to land at sea or land?

Landing at sea is dangerous. Rescue workers can't get to them. If its a crash, water surface tension is as hard as concrete. Landing at flat land is much safer. Waves and water crease makes it dangerous to land in the sea. If any part of the plane gets in contact with water, it would rip the plane apart.

Is there any distress signal?

Nope. It just disappeared with no distress call/signal.

Do they know where the plane is?

Nope. Its still missing and Malaysia Airlines does not know where the aircraft is. No data from the plane.

They found the aircraft distress beacon?

This news most likely fake.

How can a plane disappear?

Since they disappear without any radio call, data downlink or any other communication, they are "lost". Radar is supposed to see them but since they cant at the time of disappearance, we can only speculate. For the normal route, the plane should not have lost radar contact. They would have been transferred from Lumpur Control to Ho Chi Minh Control without loss of radar.

update: Vietnam Military denies they found any wreckage. 2.55pm LT

Is this information legit?

Yes, its most of it is from the MAS news conference. And I am an airline pilot flying a 777-200.

Vietnam found the wreckage?

From MAS "unconfirmed". Not officially from MAS but reputable Vietnam news sources are reporting it. update: MAS and DCA (Department of Civil Aviation) says no news of wreckage. Ministry of Defense, Hishammuddin Hussein is contacting the Vietnam Navy to confirm the news. update2: No wreckage from Vietnam Navy

Is there a timeline i can follow?

Here. Thanks /u/ExoticCarMan

Is weather a factor?

Nope. Weather is fine.

When did the plane lose contact?

2 Hours into flight. 140miles of the east Malaysia coast at 35,000ft. Its cruising in clear weather. At this time passengers just had their meal.

How old is the aircraft?

12 years.

How long is the flight supposed to be?

About 6 hours.

How is Malaysia Airlines' track record?

MAS has a very good track record. Since 1947 there is only 2 flight with fatalities.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines#Accidents_and_incidents

How is the 777's track record?

777 is really reliable. As of 2013 only 3 hull loss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#Incidents_and_accidents

I think our government or MAS will only confirm of the plane did crash ONLY IF debris has been found. AF447 was such case. Only the complete tail and some cabin seats were found. The rest remains buried deep under the Atlantic Ocean.

A few of rmaf c-130 are equipped for maritime role, hope they are on scene now.

In the unlikely event of mid air stall, pilots Should have time to report. Speculate mid air disintegration but what cause it?

Edited by KK Lee