MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nguyen Vu Loc

AK1519 flight forced to return to Taiwan after engine fire

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – An Air Asia budget flight carrying 133 passengers on their way to Malaysia was forced to turn back to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport after a fire broke out in an engine Friday.

After flight AK1519 took off at 9:46 a.m. on its way to Kota Kinabalu in the East-Malaysian state of Sabah, the pilot noticed engine No.2 was burning, reports said. He decided to turn back immediately, allowing the plane to land at Taoyuan at 10:10 a.m.

The passengers disembarked safely and were offered a meal before a different plane was arranged to take them to Malaysia, reports said.

Passengers interviewed by reporters said they had seen no flames, but they had the impression that the plane was not flying as high as it should. The crew said only that there was a problem, but did not give any explanations, leaving passengers unaware there had been major trouble, reports said. Many did not understand the situation until after they had landed back in Taoyuan, according to reporters.

The cause of the fire alert was still under investigation, but it was Air Asia which had to bear ultimate responsibility, the airport authorities said.

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=2424730

This article seems to suggests a different story though.

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20140228/352536/

According to Apple Daily,

- 133 passengers were onboard

- Plane left TPE at 9.50am but landed safely back at TPE at 10.35am

- Original plan was to depart again at 12.30pm

- They tried to fix the engine but to no avail

- Eventually they had to cancel the flight

- Passengers will be spending the night at Sheraton Hsinchu Hotel

Edited by Isaac

I just checked out of the Sheraton Hsinchu yesterday morning - it's not far from TPE at all.

I took Taxi one way was 1300 twd and maybe 35 mins.

I took the shuttle bus/THSR train/shuttle bus option the other way and total journey time was only 1:15

133 pax - a very healthy load for this time of year

I can only imagine the enormous task of getting minimum 67 rooms available at short notice (assuming it's twin sharing) in same hotel, plus crew of course :)

I can only imagine the enormous task of getting minimum 67 rooms available at short notice (assuming it's twin sharing) in same hotel, plus crew of course :)

This is a lucrative route for AK but only 1 flight per day. I keep asking one of my AK friend why no 2nd flight like HKG, or widebody for this sector. Basically whenever AK run their sales this is one cheap ticket that is hard to come by.

Checking on fr24 ak 1519 land bki 1300ish? Then the fr24 is not accurate. Staying at sheraton hsinchu is not cheap...

According to fr24 AK1519 landed at 10.21am.

did they cancel the flight?

According to Apple Daily, yes. The flight is canceled.

AK seems to be doing really well with their BKI-TPE flight. There hardly is any cheap ticket on this route.

That probably explains why AK put them up at Sheraton Hsinchu because it's the only hotel that had enough rooms available for tonight at time of checking.

This is a lucrative route for AK but only 1 flight per day. I keep asking one of my AK friend why no 2nd flight like HKG, or widebody for this sector. Basically whenever AK run their sales this is one cheap ticket that is hard to come by.

True! The promo ticket is always one of the first to sold out. The AK BKI-TPE vv. flight is very well-timed for Sabahan whereas MAS' flight time sucks!

Sign in to follow this