MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia Japan v2.0

Former Skymark Airlines chairman becomes AirAsia Japan president

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Japan has appointed Takashi Ide, the former chairman of Japans first low-cost carrier Skymark Airlines, as representative director and president.

AirAsia said in a statement that the board of the newly relaunched Japan operation had also appointed Osamu Hata as chief executive officer and Masakazu Arimori as chief financial officer.

http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2015/12/01/former-skymark-airlines-chairman-becomes-airasia-japan-president/?style=biz

Is that a real good idea? Skymark failed...

AirAsia Japan launch delayed but eyes US flights by 2020
AirAsia Japan (DJ, Nagoya Chubu) chairman Takashi Ide says the start-up will now likely only launch operations during summer of this year having originally aimed for spring time.
According to the ZipanguFlyer blog, the delay was caused by a number of factors including a last-minute change in management which saw Ide replacing former chairman Yoshinori Odagiri among other appointments.

AirAsia hopes to launch AirAsia Japan by October

KUALA LUMPUR (May 30): AirAsia Bhd group chief executive officer (CEO) Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said today the low cost carrier hopes to relaunch AirAsia Japan by October this year.
"I'm feeling really good about AirAsia Japan. We have got a good team there," he said after the company's annual general meeting (AGM).
"I was just in Nagoya. Nagoya is going to surprise a few people, but we are going to Narita," he added.
AirAsia had announced July 1, 2014 that it will be entering into a Shareholders Agreement with Octave Japan Infrastructure Fund I GK (Octave), Rakuten Inc. (Rakuten), Noevir Holdings Co. Ltd. (Noevir), and Alpen Co. Ltd. (Alpen) to establish AirAsia Japan.
This is AirAsia's second attempt to launch AirAsia Japan, after the first joint venture with All Nippon Airways was nixed in 2013 due to disagreements between the two parties.
More:

Fly Air Asia from Malaysia to USA via Japan?

Airasia X - the plan is for a KUL-KIX-HNL service. Focus is on picking up Japanese pax who would want to go to HNL.

A bit like the KUL-OOL-AKL service - they want to pick up Aussies flying the trans Tasman sector.

So if Airasia Japan is up and operating, it will feed pax from the rest of Japan to KIX for a Flythru connection to HNL.

Two A320s are already stored at NGO:

MSN 6702 Reg:JA01DJ delivered 9/10/15

MSN 6972 Reg:JA02DJ delivered 27/4/16

Two A320s are already stored at NGO:

MSN 6702 Reg:JA01DJ delivered 9/10/15

MSN 6972 Reg:JA02DJ delivered 27/4/16

That is a long time for those expensive pieces of equipment to be hibernating, incurring lease and parking charges and not earning a penny - tough business this

AirAsia Japan proceeding with preparations for service launch in early 2017

AirAsia Japan announced (30-Sep-2016) it has proceeded with preparation to commence operations with inaugural Nagoya Chubu-Sapporo Chitose service in early 2017, followed by Nagoya-Taipei Taoyuan service from 2017 northern spring. The carrier also said it has decided to scrap Nagoya-Sendai from its list of planned destination.

http://centreforaviation.com/news/airasia-japan---600482

Japan vacillates over AirAsia Japan relaunch, despite strong economic benefits

Two years after the AirAsia Group announced its intention to re-enter the local Japanese market, the venture has been unable to launch. AirAsia Japan Mk II was announced in Jul-2015 and in Oct-2015 it received its AOC. A Mar/Apr-2016 launch was envisaged, but AirAsia Japan has yet to secure final approval. A 2017 launch appears unlikely while some of the 'powers that be' lobby against the airline ever launching.
AirAsia Japan needs to overcome resistance in the often exclusive Japanese environment still smarting from AirAsia Japan MK I – a JV between AirAsia and ANA that was dissolved. Local mindset needs to be more pro-competition: there appears room in Japan for another strong LCC. Japan has aggressive tourism targets that AirAsia Japan can help meet. AirAsia Japan's proposed base is at Nagoya, which does not have a home LCC and is preparing for a LCC terminal. Competitors are making a launch difficult, and Jetstar Japan has established a base at Nagoya.

Put it quite simply, Japan Government is making AirAsia life difficult. I suspect ANA is behind the play. ANA has shareholding in almost every airline in Japan. Grrr......

Put it quite simply, Japan Government is making AirAsia life difficult. I suspect ANA is behind the play. ANA has shareholding in almost every airline in Japan. Grrr......

I think Airasia were arrogant and wanted to dictate to ANA. They have insulted their partner and it takes a lot to recover the lost reputation in Japan. It was wonderful that Rakuten still believed them but had Airasia exercised more patience with ANA, they might be a major LCC force by now.

AirAsia to take wing in Japan after long layover

Southeast Asia's largest budget carrier to offer Nagoya-Sapporo service

NAGOYA -- Low-cost carrier AirAsia Japan will ply this country's skies again as early as September, flying a domestic route from its home base of Chubu Airport near Nagoya, in a move likely to shake up the budget air travel market here.

The unit of Malaysia-based AirAsia, Southeast Asia's biggest low-cost carrier, will fly between Chubu and the city of Sapporo on Japan's northern island of Hokkaido. It plans to later offer flights from Chubu to Taipei as well, it had told affiliates by Friday.
Chubu Airport aims to open a terminal dedicated to low-cost carriers in the first half of fiscal 2019 in response to a spike in activity. A number of budget carriers operate through the airport, but AirAsia Japan will be the first to make it a base where planes are parked overnight and maintained.
Full report:

So they going to earn their first pennies soon

I wonder how much has been sunk in so far over the years, and how long it will take to climb out from that hole

(on assumption this Air Asia Japan v2.0 can be made profitable)

:)

I wonder how much has been sunk in so far over the years, and how long it will take to climb out from that hole

Quicker than MAB's turnaround plans?

The share of their losses is reported in the financial reports. It should be quite a fair bit as they have two aircraft stuck there without any revenue flights. However, I would expect the ramp up to be done pretty quickly (they had plenty of time to prepare) and they should be able to recover the losses.

AirAsia Japan to launch operations on 29 October

The reborn AirAsia Japan will commence services on 29 October with a service from its Nagoya hub to Sapporo, two years after receiving its air operator's certificate.
The carrier says in a statement that it will operate twice-daily on the route, which FlightGlobal schedules data shows it will compete against five other carriers, including Jetstar Japan, All Nippon Airways and Skymark Airlines.
“We are honoured to be the first airline to be based in Nagoya’s Chubu Centrair International airport and we are committed to connecting as many guests as possible at low fares to AirAsia's extensive network, as well as bridging communities and cultures for the benefit of the local economy,” says chief executive Osamu Hata.
More:

Sign in to follow this