MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jahur

MAB to Re-Introduce the B747-400; 9M-MPP in Retro Livery

Why has 9M-MPQ got a different configuration?

9M-MPQ had the business class removed since it was under MASCharter division if I'm not mistaken.

Doing most of the umrah and hajj charter previously.

Correct. 9M-MPQ is the only B747 that MH owns, the rest are leased from PMB. MPQ has its J class removed and more Y class was put in. The F class remains but with minimal set-up.

It is true, it will be 9MMPP. It should be flyable after maintenance in about 6-7 weeks time

It is rumoured that 9M-MPP was towed out from the hangar earlier today and likely to enter service any time soon. It's in the original red-blue cheatline scheme.

9M-MPP did a test flight today I believe.

Let me guess - to fill up void resulting from absence of 9M-MRO ?

Edited by BC Tam

Also perhaps the A380 going back to TLS for the wing fix.

Ah yes, forgot about the dodgy dugong wings :)

Perhaps they may need to pull another one out from the hangar, eventually ?

Let me guess - to fill up void resulting from absence of 9M-MRO ?

MH has scheduled to retire two B777s this year. So there is no shortage since new A333s will still be delivered to fill the void.

9M-MPP is reactivated to support A380 fleet as the A380 is going for wing crack fix. Since MRO has gone missing, MH most probably will only retire one B777 now. There isn't any A333 left for delivery.

Ah yes, forgot about the dodgy dugong wings :)

Perhaps they may need to pull another one out from the hangar, eventually ?

I recalled zamim (or other MH insider) mentioned that MH could not afford, financially, to reactivate 2 744s. So, it will just be MPP.

I was told all wings is to be fix in KUL

Is it financially cheaper to have the wings fixed in KUL? Has there any A380 operators that did their wings fix at their home base instead of at TLS?

Such uplifting news! well, at least for me. :p flown KUL-LHR-KUL on the 744 countless times and in my opinion, the 'old-fashioned' seats are much more comfortable and survivable than the A380 seats which always leave me half paralysed on arrival.

Edited by rj97

I thought the current schedule for LHR & CDG could be supported by 5 dugongs. The B744 is there in case one of them goes tech because there's no breathing space with only 5 A380s.

You are correct Josh. MH no longer use the A380 on the HKG run and the B744 is only on standby should any of the remaining 5 goes tech.

Does it mean 747 crews are always on standby and called in at the last minute in case of an A380 goes tech?

Good question - i wonder if it's the same crew that flies MasKargo 744's? At least they wouldn't always be on standby.

I don't know about other airlines or MH. But with AF, they normally asked extra cabin crew to station at CDG as standbys. In case one or two called sick, they have replacement straight away. But I can't imagine having that with 14-20 crews. MH still have to pay the hours.

Good question - i wonder if it's the same crew that flies MasKargo 744's? At least they wouldn't always be on standby.

B744 crew are the same whether flying pax or cargo. At all time there will be some on standby, but for scheduled flight they could even be rostered. MH have excess B744 pilots ever since the pax flights end. Mostly they are the older ones retiring in a few years and not practical for them to do the A380 conversion.

One of Mas' 744 (9M-MPM) is currently doing some flying, turning back and forth between Penang and Kota Bharu area, under MH5200.

Originated from Subang. Wonder whether it is part of the resurrection of the 744. Can be seen now on FR24.

One of Mas' 744 (9M-MPM) is currently doing some flying, turning back and forth between Penang and Kota Bharu area, under MH5200.

Originated from Subang. Wonder whether it is part of the resurrection of the 744. Can be seen now on FR24.

MPM is now in Saudia colours.

Any updates on the MH B744?

MAS B744 status remains unchanged. Only 1 B744 9MMPP is reactivated to provide backup for A380 operation till next year when all A380s wing rib repair completed.

Thank you for the info zamim! Where is it parked in KUL right now, do you know?

Normally at S8 area near satellite