MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jahur

MAB to Re-Introduce the B747-400; 9M-MPP in Retro Livery

Anyone knows if the 744 is on lease or owned by MAB?

IIRC, MAS owns this aircraft that was delivered in 2002. However, it is not disclosed if MAB took over its ownership from MAS.

IIRC, MAS owns this aircraft that was delivered in 2002. However, it is not disclosed if MAB took over its ownership from MAS.

Thanks for the information. Was wondering because I know that a few other airlines still find it profitable to fly older but more fuel hungry planes that have already be fully paid off. Of course those said airlines also don't have bloated workforce and/or unfavourable contracts eating into their margins.

Thanks for the information. Was wondering because I know that a few other airlines still find it profitable to fly older but more fuel hungry planes that have already be fully paid off. Of course those said airlines also don't have bloated workforce and/or unfavourable contracts eating into their margins.

I read sometime ago that B744 trip costs for fuel is similar to that of the A380. So unless MAB's A380 carries more pax than the B744s total capacity, the A380 will not be more profitable than the B744.

However, I understand that 9M-MPP is due for a D check soon... So, that will add to costs, should MAB decide to perform the D check.

Edited by flee

Looks like 9M-MPP may be coming in for a landing soon. She has slowed down a lot. Spotters @ KLIA, get ready!

https://www.flightradar24.com/MAS5109/98c1654

I read sometime ago that B744 trip costs for fuel is similar to that of the A380. So unless MAB's A380 carries more pax than the B744s total capacity, the A380 will not be more profitable than the B744.

However, I understand that 9M-MPP is due for a D check soon... So, that will add to costs, should MAB decide to perform the D check.

Yeah, that would make sense as the 744 is a smaller plane than the A380. Hmm.. but with the D check soon, won't make sense. MH's A350 would be here in a few years time anyway.

Couldn't they have advanced the D check during the downtime it had since March 2015?

The topic in discussion is not when they could have did it, but would they do it, considering that the 744 was meant to have been retired years ago, but was kept as a spare plane for when the A380 goes into maintenance which is the situation MH is currently finding itself in.

MH Retro 744 landing after 3 hours test flight. A Malaysia Airport staff taking a selfie at the pipes. Wonder how the pictures turns out?

1920%20Retro%20MH744%20Flare_zpsq3pki4ct

Retro Test Flight Details. Info courtesy from FR24

9MMPP%20Retro%20Test%20Flight_zpsurolqiv

Just read on airline routes that the entire June amid now back to double a380's!!! No 747 retro flights!

April 28, 2016

SubscribeGoogle+ Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Malaysia Airlines Shelves Planned 747 London Service in June 2016

by JL

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

Posted at 2105GMT 28APR16

Malaysia Airlines in Thursday (28APR16)s schedule update has made further changes to Kuala Lumpur London Heathrow service for the month of June 2016. Planned 747-400 operation on Mondays and Wendesdays MH004/001 service, is now cancelled. The 747-400 was previously scheduled to operate between 01JUN16 and 27JUN16.

Revised schedule sees the oneWorld member continues double daily A380 operation to Heathrow.

MH004 KUL0950 1635LHR 380 D

MH002 KUL2315 0555+1LHR 380 D

MH003 LHR1155 0745+1KUL 380 D

MH001 LHR2145 1750+1KUL 380 D

Read more from [oneWorld], 2016, Malaysia Airlines

Comments are closed.

April 28, 2016

SubscribeGoogle+ Facebook Twitter RSS Feed

Malaysia Airlines Shelves Planned 747 London Service in June 2016

by JL

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0Share on Reddit0Email this to someone

Posted at 2105GMT 28APR16

Malaysia Airlines in Thursday (28APR16)s schedule update has made further changes to Kuala Lumpur London Heathrow service for the month of June 2016. Planned 747-400 operation on Mondays and Wendesdays MH004/001 service, is now cancelled. The 747-400 was previously scheduled to operate between 01JUN16 and 27JUN16.

Revised schedule sees the oneWorld member continues double daily A380 operation to Heathrow.

MH004 KUL0950 1635LHR 380 D

MH002 KUL2315 0555+1LHR 380 D

MH003 LHR1155 0745+1KUL 380 D

MH001 LHR2145 1750+1KUL 380 D

Read more from [oneWorld], 2016, Malaysia Airlines

Comments are closed.

Looks like they've finally realised the major negative passenger experience there would be for regular flyers, especially considering that it's a 13-14 hours flight. I wonder where will the 744 be sent to now.

MH Retro 744 landing after 3 hours test flight. A Malaysia Airport staff taking a selfie at the pipes. Wonder how the pictures turns out?

1920%20Retro%20MH744%20Flare_zpsq3pki4ct

I think this "new" look suits the B744 very well, maybe even better than the original livery.

Thanks for sharing, KS... :good:

whilst it looked very good and esp as a 744, it would be fairly expensive to have brought it back into active service for a short term. And its only one 744. Even the tech crew and esp the cabin crew would have to be re-familiarise themselves and do the necessary SEP tests.

MAS should have considered leasing a plane for this.

Looks like they've finally realised the major negative passenger experience there would be for regular flyers, ......

Could it be the schedule for Dugongs' repairs have been pushed back instead ?

Not that I do not share your sentiment about possible negative passenger experience ...... :)

From user Hywel on a.net:

So it will probably be used for Hajj charters as Ramadan is coming up soon.

The whole thing has been a clusterf*ck and it's no wonder Müeller wanted to leave. Word on the grapevine (from a friend who works at Subang airport) is that several MH executives personally signed off the recommissioning of the 747 themselves, signing very cosy contracts with friends, and a furious Mueller decided it was the final straw in his efforts to stop cronyism within the airline.

From user Hywel on a.net:

So it will probably be used for Hajj charters as Ramadan is coming up soon.

The whole thing has been a clusterf*ck and it's no wonder Müeller wanted to leave. Word on the grapevine (from a friend who works at Subang airport) is that several MH executives personally signed off the recommissioning of the 747 themselves, signing very cosy contracts with friends, and a furious Mueller decided it was the final straw in his efforts to stop cronyism within the airline.

so if I understand this quote correctly:

several MH executives, who either reports directly to Mueller or the Senior Management team who were handpicked by Mueller, decided to recommission the 747 by themselves, sending the air craft to a facility most probably owned by MH at KLIA and Subang (aside from the AirAsia owned MRO, are there any other facilities providing such services at KLIA or Subang?) using parts most probably still available from a few years back - the interior is not an all new interior by any means, as well as technical spare parts - all of this in the full view of Mueller and his Senior Management team?

call me skeptical but this sounds like a quote from a friend from another friend that heard it from another friend....

Who heard it from my neighbour's aunty who happens to live near Subang.

The rumour about strained family relationship due to distance or certain extra curricular activities sound more tangible than this.

I think this "new" look suits the B744 very well, maybe even better than the original livery.

Thanks for sharing, KS... :good:

Quite fluoro red tone compared to the old colours - the old one was dark red (maroon).

Edited by S V Choong

Quite fluoro red tone compared to the old colours - the old one was dark red (maroon).

It's only KS's picture that has a florescent tint on the colour though. All other photos as posted previously all looks to be the normal red.

It's only KS's picture that has a florescent tint on the colour though. All other photos as posted previously all looks to be the normal red.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Fluoro tone to it :) Looks pretty smashing!

Biman Bangladesh Airlines (BG, Dhaka) has approached Malaysia Airlines (MH, Kuala Lumpur Int'l) over the proposed use of its B747-400 for the upcoming Hajj season which starts in late August.

Biman Chairman, Air Marshal Enamul Bari (retd), told the Dhaka Tribune that his airline recently carried out an inspection of 9M-MPP (msn 29900) with a view to using it for Hajj charters.

Though mothballed in the past, the aircraft was recently reactivated to cover Kuala Lumpur Int'l-London Heathrow flights when the Malaysian carrier's six A380-800s began undergoing heavy maintenance earlier this quarter.

http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/46712-biman-bangladesh-studying-malaysian-b747-for-hajj-charters

Speaking of 9M-MPP, have it, since reactivated, made any KUL-LHR run yet? Or just flight testing so far?

Last I checked FlightRadar24 and FlightAware, didn't see any info other than the test flight months back.

Speaking of 9M-MPP, have it, since reactivated, made any KUL-LHR run yet? Or just flight testing so far?

Last I checked FlightRadar24 and FlightAware, didn't see any info other than the test flight months back.

The remaining five 9M-MNB till 9M-MNE are working their butt out for London Heathrow. 9M-MPP hasn't done any LHR flight since being reactivated.