MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jahur

MAB to Re-Introduce the B747-400; 9M-MPP in Retro Livery

[flee] is just being sarcastic about the "classic" effect of a classic livery with a classic cabin.

Besides, MAS's 747-400's cabin's hard product is the same with that of the 777-200 they just recently retired.

Sorry, I wasn't directed at anyone, nor Flee. My apologies if Flee felt it was directed at him. Just getting the idea that generally some of us can be quite demanding at times. :search:

Yes it is the same Business and Economy class as the 777-200ER, the 747-400 has First class too, which the 77E lacked. Anyway, it is just an interim measure and aircraft, can't expect too much, nor can they put in old and new products.

Edited by S V Choong

Sorry, I wasn't directed at anyone, nor Flee. My apologies if Flee felt it was directed at him. Just getting the idea that generally some of us can be quite demanding at times. :search:

Yes it is the same Business and Economy class as the 777-200ER, the 747-400 has First class too, which the 77E lacked. Anyway, it is just an interim measure and aircraft, can't expect too much, nor can they put in old and new products.

No offence taken and no apologies are necessary. This is a forum and we should be able to express our thoughts freely.

My main problem with this B744 classic is that MAB has not given an adequate explanation to the downgrade for its LHR services.

They have 6 A380's and have said that they need only 4 to service this route. Theoretically, the 2 surplus aircraft should be able to cover any maintenance gaps. So why the heck do they need a 7th aircraft (B744) to substitute for the A380s when they go into maintenance?

No offence taken and no apologies are necessary. This is a forum and we should be able to express our thoughts freely.

My main problem with this B744 classic is that MAB has not given an adequate explanation to the downgrade for its LHR services.

They have 6 A380's and have said that they need only 4 to service this route. Theoretically, the 2 surplus aircraft should be able to cover any maintenance gaps. So why the heck do they need a 7th aircraft (B744) to substitute for the A380s when they go into maintenance?

Two A380s are dedicated for Umrah flights

I'm not so sure that is the full story. Since last year, there has always been at least one 380 in perpetual storage in the hangar. Though that is rotated after some months. For instance, -MNC was not operating for many months last year and early this year.

Two A380s are dedicated for Umrah flights

Can someone shed some lights on this umrah flights? Are they seasonal or all year round. Is the movement so big that warrants 2 A380 permanently?

Rather that deploying their 744 for LHR, perhaps it is better to deploy them to JED and save the hassle of product downgrade for LHR pax. As much as I love the retro livery, I will not want to be stuck in an aircraft with outdated products for 12 hrs.

From MH's perspective, perhaps Tabung Haji are paying a premium for the A380, hence earning it more money than vs LHR?

From MH's perspective, perhaps Tabung Haji are paying a premium for the A380, hence earning it more money than vs LHR?

Thought the Hajj pilgrimage charters are just seasonal, do they really need two dedicated aircraft on full-time basis?

Hajj is seasonal, but Umrah (mini Hajj, if you like) is year round.

There have been occasions, especially during school hols, where there were two MH A380 departures to MED and/or JED within an hour or so of each other. Yes, demand was and prob still is that much.

Tabung Haji sells its Umrah packages by also marketing the A380 as the aircraft of choice. So, I assume that is built into its contract with MH - hence, MH cannot simply sub that with the 744.

But what MH has so far not admitted is that it regularly grounds one A380 for lengthy periods for some reason (cash preservation/ delayed maintenance/ whatever)

I'm not so sure that is the full story. Since last year, there has always been at least one 380 in perpetual storage in the hangar. Though that is rotated after some months. For instance, -MNC was not operating for many months last year and early this year.

Yes, this lack of transparency is something that is not good for MAB. That is why I continue to refrain from booking with MH. I am not sure what I will be getting with my ticket!

Yes, this lack of transparency is something that is not good for MAB. That is why I continue to refrain from booking with MH. I am not sure what I will be getting with my ticket!

Flee, i'm pretty close to booking a return flight to LHR on MPP, however like you i'm kinda scared that i wont be flying on MPP if they suddenly do a last minute equipment change to the A380.

Flee, i'm pretty close to booking a return flight to LHR on MPP, however like you i'm kinda scared that i wont be flying on MPP if they suddenly do a last minute equipment change to the A380.

MH is not the only airlines that does that kind of thing... I have had CX did that to me. Booked on the 747-400 and ending up with an A340-313X, not that I mind, since it is a four holer to four holer swap. CX had done 772 swap on me to a 773 (non-ER). A330-300 to an A340-300 swap too.

Best to secure your flight equipment through booking them with 2x 747-400. That way you have higher chances of not getting disappointed at the end.

MH is not the only airlines that does that kind of thing... I have had CX did that to me. Booked on the 747-400 and ending up with an A340-313X, not that I mind, since it is a four holer to four holer swap. CX had done 772 swap on me to a 773 (non-ER). A330-300 to an A340-300 swap too.

Best to secure your flight equipment through booking them with 2x 747-400. That way you have higher chances of not getting disappointed at the end.

True that.

I was once looking forward to being on CX's A340... only to have it swap to an A330..

mas schedule to LHR is out

http://airlineroute.net/2016/04/18/mh-747-s16update1/

Malaysia Airlines in last Friday’s schedule update has loaded planned Boeing 747-400 International operation, currently scheduled in May and June 2016. The re-introduction of Boeing 747-400 aircraft is assigned on Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow route, operating twice weekly from 16MAY16 to 27JUN16.

MH004 KUL0950 – 1635LHR 380 x13
MH004 KUL0950 – 1635LHR 744 13
MH002 KUL2315 – 0555+1LHR 380 D

MH003 LHR1155 – 0745+1KUL 380 D
MH001 LHR2145 – 1750+1KUL 380 x13
MH001 LHR2145 – 1750+1KUL 744 13

From Madinah Airport tweets:

11 April 2016

CfyUfJqWIAAMmfi.jpg

10 April 2016

CfyTzvhXEAEEeWe.jpg

Odd that it's there and not in Jeddah which is way closer to Mecca? Or is it just there to pick up more people?

Odd that it's there and not in Jeddah which is way closer to Mecca? Or is it just there to pick up more people?

Umrah @ Haj pilgrims visit both cities i.e Mecca & Medina

Umrah @ Haj pilgrims visit both cities i.e Mecca & Medina

Many thanks for that fact, makes sense now. My apologies on my ignorance to this.

Many thanks for that fact, makes sense now. My apologies on my ignorance to this.

For me, when you are asking questions to know more about things that you don't know, that is wisdom. Not ignorant at all. We learn new things every single day. Peace ya'all.

The umrah package gives options to land in Jeddah or Madinah first. I myself went there and landed in Madinah first then left through Jeddah. From the picture looks like the flight was delayed as Standard arrival time of the charter MHa380 is around 130-230pm local time, departing KUL at 930-1030 am.

mas schedule to LHR is out

http://airlineroute.net/2016/04/18/mh-747-s16update1/

Malaysia Airlines in last Friday’s schedule update has loaded planned Boeing 747-400 International operation, currently scheduled in May and June 2016. The re-introduction of Boeing 747-400 aircraft is assigned on Kuala Lumpur – London Heathrow route, operating twice weekly from 16MAY16 to 27JUN16.

MH004 KUL0950 – 1635LHR 380 x13

MH004 KUL0950 – 1635LHR 744 13

MH002 KUL2315 – 0555+1LHR 380 D

MH003 LHR1155 – 0745+1KUL 380 D

MH001 LHR2145 – 1750+1KUL 380 x13

MH001 LHR2145 – 1750+1KUL 744 13

Ramadhan (peak Umrah season) will be in June this year..

i think that's one of the big reason why MPP being redeployed, since 2 A380 will be busy doing Umrah charter in June.

Edited by Yang Zulhilmi

Good to ask questions Raymond, we are always happy to answer them! :)

Makkah is the holiest city in Islam, followed by Madinah (where Prophet Muhammad is buried). Jerusalem is third

Sidenote:

Madinah Airport (the new airport) celebrated their first birthday yesterday. The modernisation of the Madinah Airport has make umrah and hajj journeys more convenient to pilgrims.

For umrah, in the olden days when JED is the only gateway, the most common modus operandi is that pilgrims will land in JED. Then they will hop onto a bus right away for a 5 to 6 hours journey to Madinah. They will spend a few days in Madinah. Then another 5 to 6 hours bus journey to Mecca for the main event. They will left home from JED.

Now that Madinah airport can accommodate big aircraft such as our A380, umrah operators can give more varieties to their packages (one that starts in Madinah, another starts in Mecca) and can get rid of at least one of the long bus journey.

Madinah Airport is estatic about our A380. Always being featured in their tweets.