MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jahur

MAB to Re-Introduce the B747-400; 9M-MPP in Retro Livery

Very likely to be just Malaysian.

The old "Malaysian Airline System" reflected the name of the old corporate entity but the trade name changed to just "Malaysia Airlines" in mid 80s.

That trade name remained unchanged till today even though the corporate entity changed to Malaysia Airlines Berhad from Malaysian Airlines System Berhad.

(Which is why I dont get it why many of you used the acronym MAB when referring to the airline rather than the corporate entity. The acronym for the airline till today should still be MAS as the trade name has remained unchanged despite the corporate structurings.)

(Which is why I dont get it why many of you used the acronym MAB when referring to the airline rather than the corporate entity. The acronym for the airline till today should still be MAS as the trade name has remained unchanged despite the corporate structurings.)

I am not sure about the others. I use MAB to distinguish between the newco and the old (bankrupt) entity, so as not to confuse the discussions.

As far as I know, the old company that was delisted from Bursa Malaysia was known as Malaysian Airline System Berhad. Here is the official delisting announcement:

http://www.bursamalaysia.com/market/listed-companies/company-announcements/1097073

By the way, maskargo's corporate identity is now MAB Kargo Sdn Bhd.

I understand that bit but virtually all diacussions and conversations talk about the same Malaysia Airlines airline; very few actually talk about matters pertaining to the corporate vehicles, past and present - unless one talks about financial performance, capital structure, contracts and agreements....

But a Malaysia Airlines 737 taking off is still a MAS aircraft taking off; just like one does not say it was an MASB 737 (Malaysian Airlines System Berhad) aircraft before the days of Malaysia Airlines Berhad. In short, MAS is still very much a valid, current acronym.

(Which is why I dont get it why many of you used the acronym MAB when referring to the airline .....)

Malaysia Airlines - B version :pardon:

While we are all excited about the retro livery on the B744, I wonder why MAB decided to spend so much money repainting the aircraft. Did they just do a D check? This indicates that the aircraft may return to service on a regular basis.

Still wondering why a fleet of six A380s operating the double daily KUL-LHR route needs a seventh aircraft to maintain that service. Maybe it only has 5 serviceable aircraft. Maybe they are re-configuring the upper deck to economy plus cabin at the same time. Whatever the case is, there is more to this story that what is publicly disclosed.

I am not sure about the others. I use MAB to distinguish between the newco and the old (bankrupt) entity, so as not to confuse the discussions.

As far as I know, the old company that was delisted from Bursa Malaysia was known as Malaysian Airline System Berhad. Here is the official delisting announcement:

http://www.bursamalaysia.com/market/listed-companies/company-announcements/1097073

By the way, maskargo's corporate identity is now MAB Kargo Sdn Bhd.

Then MASwings changed to MABwings?

For a very personal reason, I'll refer to the old company as MAS and the new company as MAB.

flee,

Don't forget about the charters, I saw a 380 operating to JED over the weekend with a MH60xx flight number, maybe that's what -MPP is going to be utilised for.

I agree it's certainly odd reactivating a B744 and then going to the effort of repainting it in retro livery.

flee,

Don't forget about the charters, I saw a 380 operating to JED over the weekend with a MH60xx flight number, maybe that's what -MPP is going to be utilised for.

I agree it's certainly odd reactivating a B744 and then going to the effort of repainting it in retro livery.

I think there is more chance that the charters will be operated by the A380 because the flights will be full.

I think the B744 is more suitable for LHR as MH4 flights are seldom full - maybe they plan on putting more cargo on it, now that MAB is pulling the B744F from the maskargo fleet.

Just to confirm - repainting looks like it is happening in SZB. The 744 silhouette seen outside KUL hangars by myself the other night could have been one of the now retired 74Fs..

I see! Can we go back a little? Yellow and Black with Winged Tiger?...But MSA on the tail would be a problem wouldn't it???

Kenneth, only the 737-200 and DC-10-30 had chrome bellies. The A300, 742 and 743 had chrome finished engines....

I like the paint job. Only missing item is the islamic scripture, thought they had it.

That so-called "Islamic scripture" actually has zero religious connotation - it simply says " Sistem Penerbangan Malaysia" in jawi, and unlike -MXA, -MPP is simply "Malaysian" anyway...mana ada sistem...