MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
jahur

MAB to Re-Introduce the B747-400; 9M-MPP in Retro Livery

There's a rumor going on that MH is reactivating one of the stored B747-400 as a relief aircraft once the A380 undergoes wing fix. Can anyone confirm this?

There's a rumor going on that MH is reactivating one of the stored B747-400 as a relief aircraft once the A380 undergoes wing fix. Can anyone confirm this?

It is true, it will be 9MMPP. It should be flyable after maintenance in about 6-7 weeks time

Good news. But I doubt MH is going to do anything to the cabins since this is just an interim solution when there is only 5 A380s available during the wing fix.

Is the wing fix going to be completed by the end of this year?

Might be looking into reactivating 2 B744s apparently. Will most probably fly one of the KUL/LHR flights as rumours are going around about a day off in LHR for the A380 crews.

I wonder which livery she will adorn?

Great to see the Queen fly again!!

Great if they use the same A380 livery...but that's just wishful thinking...this is MH we're talking about.

Remember when the FY 738s were repainted...into the so-called 90s livery when MH could have repainted them with the then-very new swoosh livery.

I imagine in terms of fuel efficiency, 777(-200ER) is better than 747. Why would they bring 747 back when they can delay 777 retirement? Plus, 777 can fly to routes currently served by A380, unless it's capacity they're aiming for.

Good news. But I doubt MH is going to do anything to the cabins since this is just an interim solution when there is only 5 A380s available during the wing fix.

Is the wing fix going to be completed by the end of this year?

The wing rib repair will last till Feb 2015

Might be looking into reactivating 2 B744s apparently. Will most probably fly one of the KUL/LHR flights as rumours are going around about a day off in LHR for the A380 crews.

Too expensive to maintain 2 B744s

I imagine in terms of fuel efficiency, 777(-200ER) is better than 747. Why would they bring 747 back when they can delay 777 retirement? Plus, 777 can fly to routes currently served by A380, unless it's capacity they're aiming for.

B777 can carry only 283 pax, whereas, B744 can carry 359 pax. The diff is too much

My memory is terrible, but was there any official 744 retirement from MH fleet ?

My impression is that they kept the show going with that reconfigured bird flying for MasCharter

Plus the couple of freighters of course, but the poor cousin always tend to be overlooked anyway :)

Why is MH bringing in a 747? I thought 5 A380s should be sufficient for LHR and CDG operations?

Yes, 5 A380s are sufficient for LHR and CDG ops but MAS needs a backup since A380s have been having some teething problems.

Yes, 5 A380s are sufficient for LHR and CDG ops but MAS needs a backup since A380s have been having some teething problems.

Does that mean the 744 is only going to do the backup, and on paper the schedule remains as it is, or is the 744 going to be actually scheduled ?

Hahaha The A380 in general is having more than just teething problems - it is a growing pain! No amount of dentistry seems to do the trick - new problems crop up every few months!

System wise - it is a beautiful plane.. when it all works.

With MH B744 business config being half the capacity of their A380, what will happen to those other passengers ?

Abit of vested interest because I'll be flying KUL/LHR in July :p

Hahaha The A380 in general is having more than just teething problems - it is a growing pain! No amount of dentistry seems to do the trick - new problems crop up every few months!

System wise - it is a beautiful plane.. when it all works.

Did a new problem happen on MH20 KUL-CDG on 15Feb, resulting in delayed departure of return leg MH21 by more than 4 hrs?

With MH B744 business config being half the capacity of their A380, what will happen to those other passengers ?

Abit of vested interest because I'll be flying KUL/LHR in July :p

To my understanding is that B744 would be utilized for CDG if required. But you never know!

If there are more business class passengers than seats, higher status passengers will probably end up in the first class cabin on the B744.