MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
chenfu

Rumour news - MH plans to axe London route

Why? Even on routes currently within range of the A330, the A350 shd be more economical to operate, no?

Maybe no money to pay Airbus.

I guess it must be low season. 3-4 years ago, I flew SQ to LHR, and we have only like 30 pax. The entire lower deck is all empty and cabin crew joked about 1 crew serving 2 pax. In fact I was seated at the upper deck and the crew asked if I wanted to go down to the lower deck where I could have the whole cabin to myself :)

If they do cut KUL-LHR route entirely... I wonder where they are going to utilise their A380-800 fleet!

I think it is possible that they may reduce the frequency... the competition is really strong these days, with EK and QR offering cut throat fares (the latter especially) and certainly with UK's departure tax. It doesn't help!

When I took the night flight from KUL to LHR on the 3rd of February, the flight wasn't full (I had a whole row of Y seats) but the load was quite healthy with over 80% of the premium cabins occupied. I guess it depends on the time of the year as flights in early January are always very full.

Edited by Jtnstar

The flights were completely full when I was on the flights to LHR last month.

Edited by Josh T

Full flights do not mean high yields, so having a plane packed with passengers doesn't necessarily mean it's very profitable.

Regardless. I'm sure they won't cut LHR. If they can't make LHR work they're better off shutting down.

Fully agree with those above. LHR is too important to be cut, there are many government, business and students/ family working, studying and living in UK. LHR remains the last few frontiers for MH in Europe; others being Frankfurt, Paris and Amsterdam. Any more cut, MH will leave with servicing two continents, down from six!

Arrived LHR on MH4 last night and there were only about 80 pax...

The followings were pax load on MH4 for last 1 week. So I just wonder where Dr Frazier got his figure from.

Even on 12 Feb it was 157 pax

7 Feb - 247

8 Feb - 368

9 Feb - 401

10 Feb - 346

11 Feb - 249

12 Feb - 157

Today 13 Feb - 308

I guess it must be low season. 3-4 years ago, I flew SQ to LHR, and we have only like 30 pax. The entire lower deck is all empty and cabin crew joked about 1 crew serving 2 pax. In fact I was seated at the upper deck and the crew asked if I wanted to go down to the lower deck where I could have the whole cabin to myself :)

Must be an afternoon flight

Edited by Cheng Kit

I thought you guys wanted A380 to SYD?

If they do cut KUL-LHR route entirely... I wonder where they are going to utilise their A380-800 fleet!

I think it is possible that they may reduce the frequency... the competition is really strong these days, with EK and QR offering cut throat fares (the latter especially) and certainly with UK's departure tax. It doesn't help!

There are EY, TK, LH, KL, AF, CX and CZ too... sometimes you get pretty cheap fares even close to the departure date... but MH has the advantage of being the only airline that flies direct into KUL, I guess thats one of the main reason their fares to Malaysia aren't as attractive as the other airlines.

The followings were pax load on MH4 for last 1 week. So I just wonder where Dr Frazier got his figure from.

7 Feb - 247

8 Feb - 368

9 Feb - 401

10 Feb - 346

11 Feb - 249

12 Feb - 157

Today 13 Feb - 308

Probably just abit of hyperbole :) 157 spread across the A380 is still pretty thin I'd say, just 20+ more than the entire upper deck seating (C & Y)

7 Feb - 247

8 Feb - 368

9 Feb - 401

10 Feb - 346

11 Feb - 249

12 Feb - 157

Today 13 Feb - 308

I got my figure from the crew on board.. Perhaps they meant 80 in total on the lower deck where i was seated.. Still pretty appalling load in my opinion... Curiously i wanted to travel on 11feb only to be told that the flight was FULL by MAS and i had to upgrade to Business Class for MH4 on 11feb.. So most of those 249 were in Economy?? For a capacity of 494 on the a380... Edited by Dr Frasier

Personally, I do not think that London will ever be a victim to network trimming ... it just is too important a route to be on the chopping block.

I have travelled a few times on the KUL-LHR-KUL routes on board the B744s and A380s ... and the loads each time was pretty impressive. MAS still offers a far superior value proposition than many other carriers between Europe/London and Asia.

KC Sim

Personally, I do not think that London will ever be a victim to network trimming ... it just is too important a route to be on the chopping block.

I have travelled a few times on the KUL-LHR-KUL routes on board the B744s and A380s ... and the loads each time was pretty impressive. MAS still offers a far superior value proposition than many other carriers between Europe/London and Asia.

KC Sim

Agree on the yields, but value would have to go to Emirates, Thai, Bruneian, Qatar, Etihad.

EK has about 5, I thought they had more. But DXB-LHR is very saturated with BA, QF, VS and RB.

EK actually has 8 daily services into LHR/LGW + 2 more code-share on QF.....5 of the 8 dailies are on A380.

In addition, 12 additional dailies into other UK points ...BHX, NCL, GLA, DUB, MAN.

Forget London, I think MH should be very concerned with FRA and IST as LH and TK are very aggressive lately. With both carriers expanding into daily services soon, I think thus 2 routes will be hard pressed to be profitable if the MH commercial team don't react fast enough.

Very hard for MH to just forget London. Malaysians regardless whether they are students, businessmen and politicians have soft spot for UK in areas of social, politics and economy.

Sign in to follow this