MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
J. Suri

MAS Nasi Lemak Telanjang Criticized by Chef Wan & Chef Zam

I too was served the same and also complained. It's just plain sambal and half an egg. The kind you get for RM1 at a warong, not something that you expect to be served on a full service airline. This was the kind that was served during the hight of the Idris Jala cost cutting. It returned back to the normal serving when AJ took over but looks like it's back again.

The nasi lemak is totally sad. I don't even bother.

In fact almost all of their regional meal is just an empty calorie bomb.

I hope they can come up with some decent, simple and healthy sandwich or wrap like the European carrier. I don't think that will cost much.

I hope they can come up with some decent, simple and healthy sandwich or wrap like the European carrier. I don't think that will cost much.

Totally agree. The menu on regional flights are just unhealty oily carbo saturated rubbish.

somewhat OT:

I actually enjoy the RM1 style nasi lemak, stop car by the roadside, bungkus and take to the office to eat. Sure, it's not such a nice thing to showcase to the world and a bit sad to see, but

out of curiousity... if you divide your "on ground" nasi lemak buying between

1) RM1 - 1/4 egg, some sambal, bungkus in banana leaf and craft paper/newspaper, basically Kosong

vs

2) Premium Deluxe - ayam/daging plus a whole egg, plus sotong in the sambal etc

what would be your split?

Miine is closer to 90% RM1 low cost style than anything.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

With the kind of ticket prices that are at times cheaper than Air Asia, something has to go. Sadly, of all things, MH choose to cut the cost of food. Food served on my recent regional flgihts were rather pathetic.

Wraps, sandwiches etc don't need reheating either. Make it substantial and I don't think they cost much.

Mak Jemah doesn't eat wrap. That's the problem.

With the kind of ticket prices that are at times cheaper than Air Asia, something has to go. Sadly, of all things, MH choose to cut the cost of food. Food served on my recent regional flgihts were rather pathetic.

Too many invisible hands makes any meaningful cut hard if not impossible.

There is no such thing as nasi lemak MAS. Not for many many years actually. What we actually have is nasi lemak Brahim.

Mak Jemah doesn't eat wrap. That's the problem.

I think in Malaysian Mak Jemah will eat everything given to her. And she never complains.

Its just the cheapskate MH ( and since Brahims's doesn't do wrap either).

There is no such thing as nasi lemak MAS. Not for many many years actually. What we actually have is nasi lemak Brahim.

Ermm, what about Brahim's catering contract with other airlines? Would that means a totally separate kitchen for say, EK? Because all this means that this dissatisfaction with airline food etc. etc. can be traced back to the the caterer.

Its just the cheapskate MH

Rumors are the price paid is far from cheapskate.

Rumors are the price paid is far from cheapskate.

Don't know about Brahim, but at SATS in Singapore, a typical EYCL meal for SQ costs about S$200 to produce.

Edited by alberttky

MAS' nasi lemak = Brahim = Controversial catering contract with guaranteed profit (to Brahim) for 25 years that charges RM 3 per egg to MH that MH once wanted to re-look but had to bow down due to 'instruction'.

Giving the equation, is that why whenever there is a cost cutting measure, meals will always be the first one to be cut? More food cut = less payment to Brahim? Logically, I would do that to mitigate my losses since the Brahim contract is 'untouchable' so not to upset a certain former Prime Minister who is also the current/former (?) advisor of the airline.

That said, if Brahim were to serve the same 'nasi lemak telanjang' to say EK, I think they will be charged RM 5 per nasi lemak (RM 3 rice + RM 1.50 egg + RM 0.50 sambal) whilst MH will be charged a premium price list of RM 15 per nasi lemak (RM 10 rice + RM 3 egg + RM 2 sambal) as per guaranteed profit agreement.

MAS' nasi lemak = Brahim = Controversial catering contract with guaranteed profit (to Brahim) for 25 years that charges RM 3 per egg to MH that MH once wanted to re-look but had to bow down due to 'instruction'.

25 years? From when to when? Furthermore guaranteed profit won't be healthy for any business practice!

From 2003 until 2028. MAS' contract comprises of 92% of Brahim's revenues, which can be translated as without MAS, Brahim would be lingkup (but it happens that MAS is lingkup as well during the process).

Ermm, what about Brahim's catering contract with other airlines? Would that means a totally separate kitchen for say, EK? Because all this means that this dissatisfaction with airline food etc. etc. can be traced back to the the caterer.

Brahim produce meal for other airlines in the same kitchen. Every airline specified their order/meal to details e.g. quantity of ingredients, etc. If not mistaken, EK at KUL is catered by Klas.

Don't know about Brahim, but at SATS in Singapore, a typical EYCL meal for SQ costs about S$200 to produce.

S$25 to S$30 are more realistic number for EY dinner. CX's EY lunch/dinner at KUL was used to be RM50.

Giving the equation, is that why whenever there is a cost cutting measure, meals will always be the first one to be cut? More food cut = less payment to Brahim? Logically, I would do that to mitigate my losses since the Brahim contract is 'untouchable' so not to upset a certain former Prime Minister who is also the current/former (?) advisor of the airline.

That said, if Brahim were to serve the same 'nasi lemak telanjang' to say EK, I think they will be charged RM 5 per nasi lemak (RM 3 rice + RM 1.50 egg + RM 0.50 sambal) whilst MH will be charged a premium price list of RM 15 per nasi lemak (RM 10 rice + RM 3 egg + RM 2 sambal) as per guaranteed profit agreement.

Brahim is guaranteed a minimum profit, regardless of sales to MH. Hence, any change in quality or quantity is called by MH. Previously, MH nasi lemak was superior than most stalls because Thai Jasmine rice was used. From Chef Wan's photo, guess they are now using normal rice.

Edited by KK Lee

And I think this article supports it.

http://www.thestar.com.my/story.aspx/?file=%2f2012%2f5%2f22%2fbusiness%2f20120522082158&sec=business

So our theory is spot on then.

Giving the equation, is that why whenever there is a cost cutting measure, meals will always be the first one to be cut? More food cut = less payment to Brahim? Logically, I would do that to mitigate my losses since the Brahim contract is 'untouchable'

Brahim produce meal for other airlines in the same kitchen. Every airline specified their order/meal to details e.g. quantity of ingredients, etc. If not mistaken, EK at KUL is catered by Klas.

Found this online. The list of airlines catered by Brahim, and it includes EK.

customers.jpg

Sign in to follow this