MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jeffery Lim

MAS Scraps Los Angeles

I think there's a 90% chance you'll be flying JL/AA out of NRT.

I have never taken JL before. Thought of doing that, but looking at the connection time, it sets me back a bit.

Are we allowed to go out during the long transit (looking at 10hrs for KUL-LAX and 17hrs for LAX-KUL)?

Comparing CX,JL and AA for Y Class, any difference?

Edited by Jeffery Lim

I have never taken JL before. Thought of doing that, but looking at the connection time, it sets me back a bit.

Are we allowed to go out during the long transit (looking at 10hrs for KUL-LAX and 17hrs for LAX-KUL)?

Of course. NRT isn't open 24 hours a day.

It's a sign of the times. Perhaps more could have been done in the past to develop their US market, but even then, the US market was always going to be tough for a Southeast Asian carrier in this day and age.

It's going to be a highly unpopular decision. And the sad thing is, the same arm chair critics who bash MAS for constantly making losses will also give them stick for making a tough but sensible decision such as this.

This decision is a good one. But now, more than ever, MAS needs to leverage on Oneworld.

Shocking !!!

So, what will be the Oneworld way to fly between LAX and KUL in future ? JL or CX ?

Both JL and CX may be suitable.

I have flown on CX to LAX before, but that was from PEN. 3 hours to HK then 11 hours to LAX, it was great, but I would think stopping by Narita (or even Osaka) could be better as it is more or less an equal 8-hour flight on each sector. Of course, assuming that JL does a KUL -> NRT -> LAX flight.

If that's what it takes to help MAS to get back on its feet, then so be it... They can return in glory one day if they are successful..

SS Lee, you can always fly KUL-AMS-LAX, but that's another story and Alliance :)

At its height, was this route served on a daily basis with B747-400? I remember the beautiful set of postage stamps marking the launch of this service ... and the beautiful special markings on the B747-400 with both the Malaysian and American flags.

KC Sim

At its height, was this route served on a daily basis with B747-400? I remember the beautiful set of postage stamps marking the launch of this service ... and the beautiful special markings on the B747-400 with both the Malaysian and American flags.

KC Sim

At it's height - the flight went on to MEX too

Oh yes, I forgot it was extended to Mexico City too. But was the KUL-LAX route ever served daily with B744?

KC

Good Call!

Now if that 777 could be put to better use instead.. Another daily Seoul service, or another daily Shanghai or Melbourne or even thinking outside the box - perhaps Johannesburg or Cairns or even just further strengthening of HK services to all widebody operations?

Lets hope management prove they can follow it through having started the ball rolling!

SS Lee, you can always fly KUL-AMS-LAX, but that's another story and Alliance :)

That is one looong way, though a great way to see new places (have never been to Europe).

Oh yes, I forgot it was extended to Mexico City too. But was the KUL-LAX route ever served daily with B744?

KC

Not sure if it was daily, but yes, MAS did use their 747s to LAX via Taipei back in 2006.

KC

yes it was before it reduced to 5 times weekly. (later further reduced to only 3 times weekly and increased back to 4 times)

KC Sim

I believe the special markings were on the sole 743 combi.

It's sad going from 6 continents to 3, but I can't say it's entirely surprising LAX was cut as their product just can't compete with CX. Even TG offers a solid J product. (I'm assuming they didn't pull the 77W)

I believe the special markings were on the sole 743 combi.

Yes it is; it's the "Kuala Lumpur- Los Angeles 86" sticker on the "Kota Kinabalu" (the 743 Combi)

From my memories :-

DC10 - Subang, Narita, Honolulu, LAX

743 & 742 - Subang, Narita, LAX

744 - Subang/KLIA, Taipei, LAX & extend to Mexico City

772 - KLIA, Narita, LAX

Just check with KE website - The price for LAX on their A380's is way cheaper than SQ, CX or MH. Its tough to see MH not doing LAX anymore, there goes the glory days back in the 80's & 90's.......

MAS is at big disadvantage when other airlines (those East Asian carriers especially such as CX, CI, BR, KE) can offer more choices of flight with super competitive air fare than MAS.

MAS is at big disadvantage when other airlines (those East Asian carriers especially such as CX, CI, BR, KE) can offer more choices of flight with super competitive air fare than MAS.

IMO, why MH is losing out to others:

- 4 weekly frequencies instead of daily compared to others

- Inferior products (both premium and back of the bus). MH probably has the worst business product compared to others that fly NRT-LAX.

- Odd timing (not much connection left at LAX and oddly enough, MH's preferred interline partner at LAX is UA, not AA). Arrival into KUL at 04:00-05:00 is ungodly. Too long for another connection or too early to check-in to hotels in the city.

MH air fares are competitive (usually one of the lowest) and it's reflected on yields.