MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jeffery Lim

MAS Scraps Los Angeles

Did MH just axe its KUL-NRT-LAX flight? tried to do a booking for end of May and it seems that only code sharing flight with AA is available.

It's axed... silently.

Did MH just axe its KUL-NRT-LAX flight? tried to do a booking for end of May and it seems that only code sharing flight with AA is available.

Observed many of MH92 KUL-NRT-LAX pax were originated from India.

If it's axed, then i will need to find another way to LA..sigh..CX is the next best thing I guess for OneWorld.

Wonder what happen to those who redeem their Enrich points for the flight then...

If it's axed, then i will need to find another way to LA..sigh..CX is the next best thing I guess for OneWorld.

Wonder what happen to those who redeem their Enrich points for the flight then...

I would expect MH would make it good via rebooking on Oneworld. There'll be people who made non refundable hotel reservations for example.

Seems like it ends and the end of april. From May onwards, all inventory is zeroed out.

Just booked C class on CX KUL-HKG-LAX vv for early Jun travel. RM500 cheaper on expedia.com than CX website itself. Cheapest fare on C class from this region is on TG, about RM7K cheaper than CX per person but timing is not convenient.

Just booked C class on CX KUL-HKG-LAX vv for early Jun travel. RM500 cheaper on expedia.com than CX website itself. Cheapest fare on C class from this region is on TG, about RM7K cheaper than CX per person but timing is not convenient.

How much did you book? I checked on cheap flights dot com and cheapest is CZ on 3k++

When I took MH92 in February, while the Y load in KUL-NRT was nearly 90%, NRT-LAX had fewer than 50 passengers. Fewer than 10 new passengers got onboard in NRT.

Just received an email from MH regarding a change in departure time from LAX from a previous 4.45pm to 4.20pm, so don't know if NRT-LAX is up for scraps...

Just received an email from MH regarding a change in departure time from LAX from a previous 4.45pm to 4.20pm, so don't know if NRT-LAX is up for scraps...

Time change for departure flight from LAX is quite common i think. I had one in May last year as well. The flight was retimed earlier by about 30 minutes. Should be due to time slots or the tailwind to ensure they depart NRT before the curfew at 11pm

How much did you book? I checked on cheap flights dot com and cheapest is CZ on 3k++

Business Class return (KUL-HKG-LAX) on CX is RM 175xx with expedia.com and RM18xxx on CX website. TG website offers RM 98xx per person. So expedia.com was my choice.

PAL could be cheap as well but skeptical about the product as well as inconvenient timing. CX suits me well from KUL.

Edited by Lock SH

The C fare on TG seems quite cheap but the main drawback is 2 stops as opposed to only one stop on CX. Even if MH does offer reasonable fare from KUL-LAX-KUL, the C product is so outdated that taking other airlines with better seats makes much more sense.

By the way, there have been many speculations that MH will be terminating the NRT-LAX route and will be resuming flights from TPE instead given that there is much less competition. There are obviously pros and cons of keeping that route, as the load factor is high during peak seasons and vice-versa. Another reason why the NRT-LAX route can't work for MH is due to the low frequency of flights, making travellers less aware of MH's presence.

Anyone from MAS with insider information on LAX? It's still showing code-share arrangement...

Edited by filipeseda

Anyone from MAS with insider information on LAX? It's still showing code-share arrangement...

Things look bleak as of now. MH has already zeroed out NRT-LAX but KUL-NRT remained open (oddly enough, they zeroed out KUL-NRT on MH 92/93 business cabin except for J booking class). That's usually an indication that they are going to pull the flight. If they are planning to terminate KUL-NRT-LAX, at least make the KUL-NRT departure earlier by 3 hours so it'll connect to JL's US departure bank (and a return around 17:00-18:00 will nicely connect from JL's arrivals bank).

Things look bleak as of now. MH has already zeroed out NRT-LAX but KUL-NRT remained open (oddly enough, they zeroed out KUL-NRT on MH 92/93 business cabin except for J booking class). That's usually an indication that they are going to pull the flight.

MH was once the only airline fly to 6 continents in this region. Even during the glory days, LAX route was losing millions RM every month, it make economical sense to codeshare with JL.

MH88/89 is purely KUL-NRT right?

Its not a tack-on like MH 92?

Will the latter affect the former? hoping that the timing will not skew my plans for the end of the year...

Nah, MH88 will remain as per normal.

TBH I think the route planners should keep MH92 as a second KUL-NRT flight. I think the demand is there.

Nah, MH88 will remain as per normal.

TBH I think the route planners should keep MH92 as a second KUL-NRT flight. I think the demand is there.

More concerned about the timing.

While i like D7's prices and all to HND, their arrival timing is not the best.

Arrive at 22:30, ting tong ting tong immigration its 23:00, the last train from HND to Tokyo is at 23:15, then once you reach tokyo central its midnight, and everything closes.

Their 11pm departure is the best however.

Here's to hoping that my flight to LAX in July will be rerouted via Hong Kong on CX seeing that the departure time roughly coincides with the MH flight.

Here's to hoping that my flight to LAX in July will be rerouted via Hong Kong on CX seeing that the departure time roughly coincides with the MH flight.

I think there's a 90% chance you'll be flying JL/AA out of NRT.

I think there's a 90% chance you'll be flying JL/AA out of NRT.

I think you're right, but hope you're wrong - the JL connection's not that fantastic. Don't mind the SS7 product though, so will be interesting (I have one for late june)