MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS fights to win back share

Too costly to do restructure - I doubt MAS can do the same as Japan Airlines or Garuda. Better close MAS down and start a brand new legacy free airline with good structure and modern fleet... :)

Edited by flee

Why don't we just forget MH and fly true 5-star airlines? -- in most cases their fares also cheaper. :D

Too costly to do restructure - I doubt MAS can do the same as Japan Airlines or Garuda. Better close MAS down and start a brand new legacy free airline with good structure and modern fleet... :)

Doubt that is possible!! It becomes a national interest issue and of course a certain party will bring in the sensitive issue and it will remain the same crappy airline it is today, maybe worse!

With Uncle Tony moving back to Malaysia HQ again, 2014 will be a very interesting for Malaysia aviation. All airlines will need to cut cost even further to win share. AirAsia will be doing so very aggressively with Malindo. This will leave MH behind, how are they going to compete competitively.

This is why I flew with air France and Emirates and Qatar airways... Cheaper, good service and nice food (apart from

Air France) ... MAS is out of my reach in terms of fares

If mas continues to sell ticket below cost, they will surely die. It's something simple but not everyone can understand especially when it comes to making sacrifices for the company. Naturally many prefer to see others making sacrifices, not them. Even the mighty SIA asked their employees to take unpaid leave or things like that when the going gets tough.

On my part, I fly with mas (and air Asia) whenever possible. Still would like to Malaysian companies successful though I have been living in Australia almost half my life now.

for MAS there's no point to put good money into bad as its almost terminal in losses - for the last decades there were several rounds of restructurings that have costs the government at least easily rm9 billion and its still making losses or very small profit once in a while then mainly in selling its assets. Without being totally privitalise privately and not through some govt-linked companies, then only will some efforts to turn around MH be able to show some results. But as the govt refused to privatlised it as MH is still some kind of milking cash cow to some, it will be down in the doldrums. Even Garuda can do it and create a new and better product and seems profitable too.

The survival of MH is not related to staff who go against company's policy. You go against the policy and you face the consequences, legally.

Malaysia Airlines System (MAS) have reinstated nine of the 10 cabin crew who were suspended for allegedly criticising the airline in a closed National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (Nufam) Facebook forum.

Nufam spokesperson Mahmood Abdullah said that three were released from suspension a fortnight ago while six more were released from suspension yesterday.

“The crew members got calls from the MAS human resources department to take their (warning) letters except for one (female flight attendant) who remains suspended.

“We should know the verdict for (the flight attendant) soon,” he said in an email to Malaysiakini.

Mahmood said that the crew who were released from suspension were warned “not to do it (criticise the company on Facebook) again”.

In an earlier statement, Nufam, which was formed in January 2012, slammed MAS for using “aggressive tactics to scare Nufam members” against joining an upcoming picket planned for next week.

“MAS appears to wage war against our union members and we will not hesitate to call for industrial action if MAS prevails this form of threats and tactics against our members,” it said.

It added that MAS is “continuing to bully the union members over their (MAS) own failures to resolves workers' problems”, following the sacking of Nufam president Ismail Nasaruddin.

Ismail, a chief steward, was sacked after calling for MAS chief executive officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya's (left) resignation, in a news article where he lamented the relatively poor working conditions of MAS cabin crew.

In response, MAS denied engaging in union busting and said that it has the right to take discplinary action against employees in accordance to what is stated or implied in the employment contract.

It added that all its collective bargaining, including for cabin crew, is done through the Malaysia Airlines Systems Employee's Union (Maseu) and not through Nufam.

On Jan 4, Nufam conducted a petition drive among MAS cabin crew to reinstate Ismail, but petitioners collecting signatures at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport were ousted by airport authorities.

http://beta.malaysiakini.com/news/251772

I wonder when MH will be as profitable as EK.

EK employees do not have their union right? And most of the employees consist of many nationalities, perhaps easier for the EK management to control their crowd?

I wonder when MH will be as profitable as EK.

Maybe the time when EK start losing money like MH, if that time ever comes :D

I was made to understand and witnessed on first account that MH staff and their spouse who has retired years ago are still getting the staff travel benefit (paying only 10% of the normal airfare).

This info was (accidentally) being leaked by a spouse of a MH employee (during a bragging session) at a get together. The staff in question was stationed at London's office, she's a female and was doing some office-based works. Both the staff and her husband are in their 70s now. Both are Malaysians.

Does the staff travel benefit last a lifetime? Doesn't seem right.

I was made to understand and witnessed on first account that MH staff and their spouse who has retired years ago are still getting the staff travel benefit (paying only 10% of the normal airfare).

This info was (accidentally) being leaked by a spouse of a MH employee (during a bragging session) at a get together. The staff in question was stationed at London's office, she's a female and was doing some office-based works. Both the staff and her husband are in their 70s now. Both are Malaysians.

I was told the same thing by a former station manager at a certain Asean country. I wonder if this is a common practise in other airlines or a special perk at MH?

It's not unique to MH and is not a secret. However, this perk is probably only applicable to earlier employees. No such thing for more recent employees.

And these days, 10% of a normal published fare on standby may not be worth it. Commercial fare on firm travel can be cheaper.

This is somewhat a standard perk not just for MH but for other airlines as well.