MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Airport observation decks around the world

When I was a little boy, I begged and pleaded with my dad to bring me to Boston's Logan Airport to watch planes land, take off, and move about the runways and taxiways. Maybe you did, too.

That was in the 1960s when outdoor observation decks were common at airports. But while once a given at many airports, these decks slowly started disappearing in the wake of security concerns and the need for more terminal space. Lately, it seems a resurgence is in the works world-wide.

This list outlines many airports around the world with observation areas, many of them in the open air, offering easy access from the terminal building. (While there are many "plane spotter" vantage points near airports, this chart covers observation decks located at or within the main airport buildings.) So rejoice fellow aviation geeks, and anyone wishing to get a whiff of fresh air—or jet fuel.

Nice one. I did miss the observation deck at Penang airport which overlooked the taxiways and the runway. It is now an office area there. Thank goodness for the roads parallel to the runway for closeups of aircraft departures. :)

Good to see AMS has high ratings...

Opening hours at DUS has greatly reduced in the meantime :)

Sign in to follow this