MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jonathan Kong

Lufthansa to Terminate Kuala Lumpur on 1 March 2016

Well u could expect the A359 to takeover this route.. Especially given the pullout of MH from FRA.

Well u could expect the A359 to takeover this route.. Especially given the pullout of MH from FRA.

KUL will be among the first few A350 destinations for LH, rolling in last quarter of 2016.

Edited by JuliusWong

Yes, but these are not available now... I think that if it wasn't for the A359s, LH might not have tried to maintain the service until their introduction.

No market for KUL-FRA?

There are no connections beyond KUL for LH and KUL is not a huge O&D destination for LH.

And also, BA/ME3 has very *reasonable* DE-MY premium cabin fares from time to time (especially during BA's weekly Thursday specials - suspended until further notice though).

KUL will be among the first few A350 destinations for LH, rolling in last quarter of 2016.

That's what I hear, but if I am not mistaken, the first few A350s are going to be MUC based.

Edited by Craig

surprise that LH cannot even sustain daily KUL-FRA when MH is going to terminate the service - is that so poort loads on this sector?

surprise that LH cannot even sustain daily KUL-FRA when MH is going to terminate the service - is that so poort loads on this sector?

When MH was doing KUL-FRA, the load factor was pretty good even with LH competition. Yield, that is better answered by someone else. All I am saying is, the load is there.

Unless one need to visit a number of european destinations, ek and qr offer cheaper price and better service.

Some people, especially business travelers, don't like to split their journey into two neither-long-nor-short sectors. They would much rather have one long flight that they can get some decent sleep on.

Unless one need to visit a number of european destinations, ek and qr offer cheaper price and better service.

I bet to differ, LH was doing some good promotion to Europe at 2.8k vv, comparing to EK or QR offering at higher price. I was told by my friend who took EK flight from now and then where the cabin was filled with unbearable smell.

I bet to differ, LH was doing some good promotion to Europe at 2.8k vv, comparing to EK or QR offering at higher price. I was told by my friend who took EK flight from now and then where the cabin was filled with unbearable smell.

Some people, especially business travelers, don't like to split their journey into two neither-long-nor-short sectors. They would much rather have one long flight that they can get some decent sleep on.

LH, EK and QR ex-KUL frequency/capacity speak for itself.

The Gulf Carriers really arent so great if you are an economy flyer, heck EK business even isnt so nice. They get this halo effect from their flashy first class products that they have on very select planes which make people oh and ah. But in Y they are nothing special.

Truly beg to differ. Haven't been on QR or EY recently but EK's hard product is miles ahead of any economy product. Just a class above. Not even SQ can match.

Are you suggesting that European carriers are comparable? Please...

EK economy is ok. The IFE and food are really good but seats are rubbish. MH Y seats on the 772 are the best ... Sad to see them go

EK economy is ok. The IFE and food are really good but seats are rubbish. MH Y seats on the 772 are the best ... Sad to see them go

Seats on 77W? Perhaps (though I don't agree).

A380.. Who is better?

LH once again updated its schedule for S2016. LH 782/783 will now be 5 weekly instead of the planned 7 weekly. Flight schedules:

LH782 2200FRA - KUL1620+1 x37 343

LH783 2250KUL - FRA0545+1 x14 343

Edited by Craig

Oh no, shouldn't be that quick.....LH have the FRA-KUL monopoly now since MH has withdrew from the market.

And one of the first few markets to receive A350.

Checking with my insider now.

UPDATE: Yes, LH is cancelling FRA-KUL effective 1st March 2016. Official announcement on 21st Dec 2015. LH office in KUL will remain open for now and sell tickets through BKK and SIN.

Cancelled due to commercial reason. The sudden drop in RM value coupled by LH-SQ extensive JV are last two nails in the coffin.

Edited by JuliusWong

Malaysia's only direct link to Central Europe is now cutoff. Hoping with A350s coming online in next few years, MH can restart FRA (and the likes of AMS and CDG) again.

Is/was load/yield on KUL-FRA really that seriously pathetic for MH and LH to call it a day on the route so soon after each other ? :huh:

Or could it be BA's return to KUL that has tipped the balance towards non-viable state ?

Edited by BC Tam