MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Teo

RB to pick Airbus or Boeing for short haul jets

Source:Bloomberg

Royal Brunei Airlines’ board of directors will reach a decision on modernizing its short-haul fleet this month as the oil-rich kingdom’s flag carrier seeks planes to tap new markets, including India.

Boeing Co. (BA) and Airbus SAS (EAD) short-haul jets are in the running, Deputy Chairman Dermot Mannion told reporters today at the World Travel Market in London. “We have an active short-haul campaign that will reach a climax in the next couple of weeks” with a board decision this month, he said.

Royal Brunei has taken delivery of two of five Boeing 787 Dreamliners to replace 777-200s on lease from Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA) and plans to start London services with the new jet next month. The short-haul expansion should allow extension of the regional network.

“We have been looking at southern India for some time,” Mannion said. “We need more short-haul aircraft to support that operation.”

The airline, which currently operates six A320-family narrowbodies will seek to expand its short-haul fleet to “double digits,” he said. First deliveries should take place in 2015, he said.

Royal Brunei may purchase current-generation Boeing 737s or Airbus A320s, although the long-term goal is to operate the more modern, reengined models now in development at the two planemakers, the 737 Max or A320neo, Mannion said.

The short-haul planes may also be used to fly to Australia, he said. Royal Brunei already plans to begin 787 service to Melbourne in March once its third and fourth Dreamliners are delivered. Timing for handover of the final jet is still under discussion with Boeing, he said.

Mannion said regional operations with the 787s in recent weeks to prepare crew have gone smoothly, despite setbacks other Dreamliner operators have experienced. The carrier is “confident but not complacent” when it comes to 787 service, he said, adding that Air France-KLM Group (AF) has been tapped to provide worldwide support.

All the neighbouring flag carrier is enjoying their shopping spree for newer fleet.. The 772 replacement idea has been around since pre-AJ until today remains a mystery..

Well, AJ did say that they'll make a decision about the B772 replacement by the end of the year...

To be honest, this order can swing both way. Bare in mind that Sultan of Brunei would like to balance the trade between EU and US. With the long haul going to Boeing; Airbus might be able to retain short haul. Current fleet of A319 and A320 are leased. I won't be surprised if RB continue to lease their new fleet of short haul aircraft as they will be spending millions to pay off their B787s in next decade. IMO, not a very wise decision for them to purchase those B787, reminds us all of their B763ER drama last time.

I hope they will get the 737. The airbus is very ugly IMO.

Design is very subjective, however I must disagree with you, I can't stand the un proportionate 737's, from the nose to the tail the 737 is not one of my favourite aircraft, the A320 on the other hand is sleek IMO, with no rough edges.

I think BI should stick to the narrow body Airbus fleet, add new A319, A320 and introduce the A321 for more demanding routes, the A321 would be a very solid performer and has been proven to be a great short/medium haul workhorse, VN is doing quite well with them and I can see PR going to have success with them too. BWN-ICN/PVG/PEK/NRT/KIX/TPE/SIN/KUL would work quite well.

If we are talking about the A320NEO there is one advantage - Airbus offers the CFM International LEAP engine as well as the Pratt & Whitney GTF. Talk is beginning to emerge that the GTF will give superior fuel burn and performance when compared to the LEAP. B737Max will be in serious trouble if this is true - they only have the LEAP engine as the only choice.

I find the title quite amusing. Surely they wouldn't consider aircraft like Embraer or Sukhoi.

I find the title quite amusing. Surely they wouldn't consider aircraft like Embraer or Sukhoi.

last yr,they said they were considering even bombardier and embraer

A319-132 V8-RBP has been in storage since 26/June/2015. Her last flight was from KUL-BWN.

RB will be replacing their two A319-132 with two new A320-232ceo, sourced from AWAS until delivery of A320neo.

V8-RBW (cn 6771) and V8-RBX (cn 6816) have been allocated for the airline.

Interestingly...today 13Aug15...there are two BI flights BWN-SINvv arriving SIN from BWN at around 230am and 330am respectively...BI4423 (rtrn BI 4424) and BI4425 (rtrn BI 4426).

Is BI now doing Spore military charters?...cant think of any other reason for such odd hour flights to SIN.

when the neo comes in?

Hard to tell at the moment - it all depends on when the first NEO is delivered to Qatar and if Airbus can increase its monthly production rates. Then everything in the order books should fall in line. I would expect RB to get its NEOs from 2017 or 2018.

Sign in to follow this