MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Van Straten

YOU Wings aka Flying Fox Airways

I came accros this info on PPrune today.

New kid on the block, "Flying Fox Airways" is apparently starting ops with 737-400 this coming Friday from Ipoh to Medan.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2013/10/16/More-choices-to-fly-New-airline-gives-more-options-to-get-to-Medan-from-Ipoh.aspx

Interesting to follow this coming Friday. 737-400, and their Indonesian partner, hmmm.

But, at least their F/A's look stunning. If them are the real ones that is.

Cheers

A.

Saw it on FB. So what does the *flying* fox say?

995876_662850840415667_2002507818_n.jpg

How do you fit 152 pax into that configuration ?!! :)

Also, hope Mr Lee was aware that wasn't picture of a 734 he was unveiling (neither was it a plague, more like a framed promo poster) :rolleyes:

Edited by BC Tam

IPH - MES.

A super-busy route? Doesn't Silverfly ply this important route too?

Edited by Radzi

I do not think that the question, "how long will they last". is the main issue here.

They will last as long as the money is there to operate. And as we do not know how much money they have to their disposal to burn,

the question, how long will it take, becomes mute.

Lets assume for a minute, and i know that you should not, that the Fox can build up a profitable sector Ipoh-Medan, then you also can assume, yes, we should not, that the powers that be, i.e. Malindo and Airasia, would be flying formation with the Fox aircraft for a few months, at, lets say, half the price, and that would be the end of the Fox.

So, my question would be, and is, who, in their right state of mind, would pump in copious amounts of money into a venture which is going into a dog eat dog environment where margins are thinner than a chance to see a Higgs particle. I have said it before, and i repeat again, all these glorious startups have one thing in common, they have had a champion investment broker who, after the finance is arranged, is counting his commission in a taxfree hide out and whatever happens to the good people who are lured into this and similar ventures are none of his concerns.

The people who are going to loose their money are no better off than the ones who have tried their luck in Las Vegas.

Of course i could be wrong. In that case i would be eating humble pie in a few months time, when the Fox is showing us all how its being done.

In the meantime, at the indonesian airline partner head office, they are exchanging high fives and slapping each other shoulders.

Cheers

A.

Edited by Arthur Van Straten

November 8 is here and..... The Fox is not flying.

Rumors has it that the new date is now December 13. Reason, approvals and paperwork.

Dont people do their homework anymore? If you are parading your plans around, have press conferences in Ipoh and Medan

and then when your self announced start up date is near, you have that "ooops moment"?

Anyway, a missed opportunity to show us all how its done.

Maybe the Fox management team better do some soul searching and determine if they are really up to it.

My humble pie goes into the fridge for the time being. 8)

Cheers

A.

I do not think that the question, "how long will they last". is the main issue here.

They will last as long as the money is there to operate. And as we do not know how much money they have to their disposal to burn,

the question, how long will it take, becomes mute.

Lets assume for a minute, and i know that you should not, that the Fox can build up a profitable sector Ipoh-Medan, then you also can assume, yes, we should not, that the powers that be, i.e. Malindo and Airasia, would be flying formation with the Fox aircraft for a few months, at, lets say, half the price, and that would be the end of the Fox.

So, my question would be, and is, who, in their right state of mind, would pump in copious amounts of money into a venture which is going into a dog eat dog environment where margins are thinner than a chance to see a Higgs particle. I have said it before, and i repeat again, all these glorious startups have one thing in common, they have had a champion investment broker who, after the finance is arranged, is counting his commission in a taxfree hide out and whatever happens to the good people who are lured into this and similar ventures are none of his concerns.

The people who are going to loose their money are no better off than the ones who have tried their luck in Las Vegas.

A.

There is always the sugar daddy tax payers.

Latest from Flying Fox Airways!

BOOKING IS NOW OPEN!! Flying Fox Airways, proud operator of Sriwijaya Air is ready to launch its IPOH-MEDAN route on 13th December. Flights will commence on Mondays and Fridays. Book now at http://www.sriwijayaair.co.id/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=178072119060634&set=a.163030853898094.1073741826.161834960684350&type=1&theater

Return ticket from Ipoh to Medan is RM800 inclusive of taxes and fees, 20kg luggage and light refreshments.

Latest news on Flying Fox on their fb:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Flying Fox Airways has received notice that Sultan Azlan Shah Airport needs to undergo immediate maintenance on the runway. Due to this situation we are unable to operate our Boeing 737-400 planes in and out of Ipoh until the maintenance has been completed. Although it is unfortunate, Flying Fox Airways will currently close flights in and out of Sultan Azlan Shah Airport temporarily until JUNE 2014.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=182022848665561&set=a.163030853898094.1073741826.161834960684350&type=1&theater

I remembered MAS operated 734 into Ipoh back in the Subang days...no? Sriwijaya has a number of 733 I believe...can't those planes be used?

Didn't AK operate its B733s into IPH before they stopped it due to the switch to A320s?

Technically, MH is still there with the FY ATRs... :)

Really really fishy, but what's new with the MY aviation scene?

Yes, I still can't figure out what is the business case for this new airline that failed to take off twice already...

I believe the said NOTAM was about surface depression on the runway and only AT7 aircraft type allowed to operate. The 737 is probably too heavy.

NOTAMS for WMKI

A2839/13 - SFC DEPRESSION ON RWY.

RMK: ACFT TYPE ATR72-500 AND BELOW ONLY ARE ALLOWED TO LAND AND

TAKE-OFF. 29 NOV 05:00 2013 UNTIL 31 DEC 23:59 2013 ESTIMATED. CREATED: 27 NOV

06:14 2013

If I am not mistaken, the completion of Ipoh;s runway extension was completed in November 2012. Making it alledgely suitable for 737 and A320 operations. That was the whole idea behind it, wasn't it?

The airport was officialy reopened in May 2013 but already declared fully operational in November 2012, see here. :http://centreforaviation.com/profiles/airports/ipoh-sultan-azlan-shah-airport-iph

And then for this NOTAM, issued 27 November 2013, and valid till 31 December 2013 (est)

See zamim post #24

Furher info here:

DCA AIC: http://aip.dca.gov.my/aip%20pdf%20new/AIC/AIC%20201101.pdf

Now, if the Malaysian DCA only in November 2013 , one year after completion of the runway extension, comes to the conclusion that there is a sfc problem, (where?, if the extension was on both sides to acccomodate backtracking and turn around), then one is inclined to say that it took them a good sweet time to figure that out, or, forgot about it and they just have had their ooops moment. But that would seem to be a bit far fetched to me.

Their must be more to this story and we may find out what, later.

And, by te way, Flying Fox Airways is not an airline, they do not haven an AOC.

They are GSA for Sriwijaya Air. I have mentioned that earlier, but that is a moot point now.

Cheers

A.

Sign in to follow this