MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Budget 2014: Measures for Aviation

* To replace existing air traffic control and management system in Subang, a new air traffic management centre costing RM700 million will be built at KLIA.

* Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Miri, Sibu and Mukah airports to be upgraded with RM312 million allocation.
* Passenger terminals in Langkawi International Airport and Kuantan Airport to be upgraded.
* Transportation services such as bus, train, LRT, taxi, ferry, boat, highway tolls as well as education and health services are exempted from GST.
Strange that air fares was not mentioned for exemption from GST...

I thought BKI was upgraded before?

Er the right term should be "Still" work in progress.

For PHOTOGS:

"GST replaces sales tax and service tax. Currently camera, lens, speedlights are TAX free in Malaysia. So be prepared to pay 6% extra for your hobby by April 2015."

* Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Miri, Sibu and Mukah airports to be upgraded with RM312 million allocation.

BKI, MYY and SBW already had makeovers within last few years (BKI still work in progress as per Waiping's observation above)

Sandakan's budget is now 80M apparently

Dunno how much they can do with Mukah, hence a justifiable cost estimate - that is unless it's to be done up as an international gateway thing, in which case sky is the limit

Hence, plenty interested to see how the remaining budget to be allocated amongst the other three (already recently upgraded) airports :)

For PHOTOGS:

"GST replaces sales tax and service tax. Currently camera, lens, speedlights are TAX free in Malaysia. So be prepared to pay 6% extra for your hobby by April 2015."

I think we will need to study the GST Bill and Act before we come to any conclusions. Still some time to go yet...

GST exempt: "Transportation services such as bus, train, LRT, taxi, ferry, boat, highway toll ..."

Hope they won't forget airfares too!

Does this means come 2015....we have to pay total 22% tax (10% Servcie charge + 6%Goverment tax + 6% GST) ??

No, the service and sales tax will be abolished, replaced with GST.

* To replace existing air traffic control and management system in Subang, a new air traffic management centre costing RM700 million will be built at KLIA.

* Passenger terminals in Langkawi International Airport and Kuantan Airport to be upgraded.
* Transportation services such as bus, train, LRT, taxi, ferry, boat, highway tolls as well as education and health services are exempted from GST.
Strange that air fares was not mentioned for exemption from GST...

BKI T1 is such a new terminal but a lot of things are already broken in the toilets... :pardon:

GST exempt: "Transportation services such as bus, train, LRT, taxi, ferry, boat, highway toll ..."

Hope they won't forget airfares too!

May be in dll (dan lain-lain) category :)

PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak has bolstered his government’s emphasis on the aviation industry as Putrajaya aims to transform Malaysia into a regional aviation hub.
“Malaysia has the potential to be an aviation hub in the region. The industry will have a multiplier effect on the economy, in line with growing demand for passengers and air cargo,” Najib said today when tabling the 2014 Budget at the Dewan Rakyat here.
“From January to July 2013, passenger traffic at airports nationwide rose to 43.9 million from 38.6 million passengers during the same period in 2012,” he added.
Najib, who is also Finance Minister, disclosed that total air cargo handled increased to 529,000 tonnes in the first seven months of 2013.
“When KLIA 2 is operational, passenger traffic is expected to increase to more than 70 million,” he said.
“To further develop the industry, the government will formulate a National Aviation Policy, which will outline measures to strengthen the ecosystem and services network in the aviation industry,” he added.
Najib further announced that the government was set to replace the existing air traffic control management system in Subang in a move to improve operations management and air traffic control.
“A new air traffic management centre costing RM700 million will be built at KLIA,” he said.
“The new system will facilitate the increase in air traffic from 68 to 108 movements per hour on three runways.
“This will be among the highest air traffic handling capacity in the world,” he added.
Additionally, the government vowed to upgrade several airports such as those in Kota Kinabalu and Sandakan in Sabah as well as Miri, Sibu and Mukah in Sarawak.
“For this, the government will allocate RM312 million and in addition, the passenger terminals at Langkawi International Airport and Kuantan Airport will be upgraded,” he said.

Source: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2013/10/25/putrajaya-to-develop-aviation-industry/

I think KLIA1 is in need of a facelift. It's been more than 10 years and the place is starting to feel old. When are they going to get around to doing Satellite Terminal B? I would imagine that KLIA1 will hit its 35 mil. capacity within a matter of 5-10 years? On that note, anyone have a specific break down of passenger numbers at KLIA (i.e. MTB and LCCT traffic)

BKI upgrades? Terminal 2 I'm guessing... Frankly they could close Terminal 2 and shift AK operations to Terminal 1. It's currently a white elephant.

Edited by filipeseda

I think KLIA1 is in need of a facelift. It's been more than 10 years and the place is starting to feel old. When are they going to get around to doing Satellite Terminal B? I would imagine that KLIA1 will hit its 35 mil. capacity within a matter of 5-10 years? On that note, anyone have a specific break down of passenger numbers at KLIA (i.e. MTB and LCCT traffic)

Totally agree - the MTB is looking worse for wear especially now since the increase of pax flying MH & of course the addition of Malindo is bringing in the crowds.

BKI upgrades? Terminal 2 I'm guessing...

Looks likely doesn't it ? Now that the kotrektor kontrektor need feeding already :D

AK have to move to T1. Passenger convenience aside, there is simply not enough parking bay at T2 now. Last week when 9M-NAA was here, Gading Sari's 9M-GSB was parked next to Sabah Flying Club (bay 26 I think). I didn't count how many AK was there, but when both 9M-AIR and 9M-WAO came in from offshore to offload their passengers, 9M-AIR need to land at T1 first, then move to T2 when WAO took off.

Believe space at T2 is hindering AK's growth in BKI as well. IMHO T2 should be converted into VIP, cargo and helicopter terminal only.

New ATC centre is much needed and welcomed! Investment in new technology that is hopefully reliable and easily integrated with neighboring states is essential. Current Italian ATC system is rubbish - should go for the Thales system!! Any timeline for this project??

Sign in to follow this