MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Meredith

KLIA's Satellite Golden Lounge Renovation

Don't hold your breath. I was told there's still a lot more work to be done as they're basically "tearing down the entire lounge and rebuilding it". Let's hope it's not just another paint job!

I was just wondering that. Any information about when it will be re-opened?

I hope it's nice. Looking forward to seeing the first class side when I pass through it early next year.

Guest Michael

I need a volunteer to report on the lounge facilities when it is re opened I am going to be in KL in February.

I'll get to pass through the renovated first class lounge on Jan 12.

Edited by Josh T

now, that is much better. I always went to the Air NZ lounge next door instead...

agreed - used to skip SKL and go to NZ.... but what I really miss is my little room next to gate 59 (many years gone already) :(

So, has the Golden Lounge in the satellite terminal re-opened yet??

In the lounge now. Just some comestic changes in terms of flooring and the toilet has been renovated as well. Other than that, looks roughly the same. F lounge is apparently only opening in mid Jan according to the lounge staff.

Also in the lounge now, they changed the wood panelling to darker wood, removed more plants, a few contrasting carpet-laminate flooring at the entrance. Wouldn't call this a full revamp. The lounge staff I spoke to said F lounge will be opened in February.

Please excuse the dark quality of my photos: I blame the 'moody' feel of the lounge.

ngk9.jpg

The new entrance, looks like 'Journey Gateway' in KL Sentral.

vymp.jpg

Looks vaguely the same as the old lounge, though the closet space on the immediate left has been expanded. Nothing but dark wood though.

c47h.jpg

The Sports Lounge is still there. They have an interesting method of making it well-used: they banished all the alcohol from the main lounge area to this quiet spot. Was wondering where all the beer was in the fridge until I found it hidden in a black window fridge at the back of the buffet area close to the foot massage area.

wj4r.jpg

Note the new flooring scheme. The area on the left by the window is the temporary cordoned off area for F class. Shares the same space as everyone else, except you get comfier sofas.

lps9.jpg

Bistro still looks mostly the same except for the new prep area which now restricts space inside.

u0pn.jpg

Another angle of the main area. The buffet spread is still mostly the same. Just a few cosmetic touch-ups. Food offering seems to have gone down a bit in quality and selection. I do like the ice cream though.

hlpb.jpg

The other side of the main seating area. Note the cordoned off area at the background. F Lounge still a work in progress.

kwwa.jpg

Games Room and Children's Room seems to have had a bit of a touch up.

The staff here are still a bit slow, despite the lounge being reopened a week ago. A lot of cleaning crew around, seriously, a lot, who just seem to sweep and wipe, but apparently not enough to clear the tables.

Have yet to do a full sweep. Might do that after I get something to drink. And ice cream. Or both.

p.s. more electrical outlets and the mobile phone charging booths are a plus.

(edit: found the missing beer in the main buffet area. Thought they banished it, they merely hid it behind blacked out windows.)

Edited by jcameron

The business centre had a bit of a touch-up. Nice bright wood, but the one most important thing is missing: printer. 4 booths for computers but no printer. Defies explanation.

nk87.jpg

4o97.jpg

And guys, if you need to use the loo, make sure it's number two; that standing bit as usual, won't work as there's no urinal. Yeap, the urinals are not installed. Piping work ready, holes drilled, but where oh where do you expect us to relieve ourselves in a civilized manner befitting a macho, modern day road warrior?

Jokes aside, the restroom still needs a lot of work. The showers feel half done, and the fittings don't look as if they were fitted properly. Otherwise, I welcome the use of the beige-cream tiles, gives a sense of space for number twos. I do not want to be in that washroom during rush hour, at least until they fix it properly.

Sign in to follow this