MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Meredith

KLIA's Satellite Golden Lounge Renovation

I have just seen the following on the MH website:

KLIA International Golden Lounge - temporary closure for renovation works

Malaysia Airlines’ International Golden Lounge at KLIA Satellite Building will be closed for 5 weeks from midnight on 1 November till 7 December 2013 for renovation works.

Our Business Lounge will resume operations on 8 December 2013 while the Platinum Lounge will be reopened next year on 1 January 2014.

To minimize the impact of this closure to our guests, we have secured 3 alternative lounge facilities and arrangements. We apologise for inconvenience caused during this period as we upgrade our facilities to bring guests a better travel experience.

Enrich Platinum Members & First Class guests can use the following:
1. MAS Regional Lounge at the main terminal building, located close to the aero train, or
2. Cathay Pacific Lounge @ East Wing Mezzanine floor, Satellite Building; close to Gates C21-27.

Enrich Gold members & Business Class guests will be able to utilize the following:
1. MAS Regional Lounge at the main terminal building, located close to the aero train, or
2. Malaysia Airports VIP Lounge @ East Wing Mezzanine floor, Satellite Building; close to Gates C21-27.

Starting 1 November, Malaysia Airport VIP lounge will commence operations at 5.00am to 11.59pm midnight while the Cathay Pacific Lounge opens at 6.30am to 11.30pm daily.

The Malaysia Airlines’ Regional Lounge is open 24 hours daily and located at the main terminal building next to the Aero train platforms.

Facilities available at Cathay Pacific Lounge:
a) Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner
B) Lounge seating
c) Entertainment options including TVs, newspapers and magazines
d) Wi-fi
e) Workstations and power points for laptop
f) Local settings
g) Lavatory

Facilities available at Malaysia Airport VIP lounge are:
a) Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner
B) Lounge seating
c) Lavatory with limited shower rooms
d) Wi-fi
e) Reading material- newspaper and magazines

The following facilities are not available at these alternative lounges:
1. The Muslim prayer room (Surau) at the Cathay Pacific Lounge and the Malaysia Airports VIP Lounge.
2. No shower facilities at the Cathay Pacific Lounge.

Our Muslim guests will have to utilize the public ‘surau’ located a few meters away from Malaysia Airport VIP lounge or at the Malaysia Airlines Regional Lounge. Shower facilities are available at the MAS Regional Lounge or the Malaysia Airports VIP Lounge .Please anticipate longer waiting time, than usual caused by high demand and limited shower units.

For more info, please write to customer@malaysiaairlines.com

Thank you from Malaysia Airlines.

The lounge was closed for renovations only a few months ago, what are they going to do this time?

One thing is not clear: The J side reopens 8 December, and the platinum suite 1 Jan 2014. What about the F side (non-platinum suite), unless they call the whole thing "platinum lounge"

Edited by Suzanne Goh

Hopefully the new look will be mind blowing. MH is already behind some of the leaders in lounge area (read: Emirates in DXB) which provide direct access from the lounge to the aircraft. Since such facility could never been done in KUL due to the lounge's location and layout of the whole terminal, hence the overall offerings must be outstanding to overcome the shortcomings.

I thought that there was only two sides, ie Platinum/First and Gold/Business?

Not quite - gold/business/sapphire is one side to the left.

To the right is the main entrance for First/Emerald - there is then another smaller area within the F side that is dubbed the platinum suite.

The platinum suite is not much to shout about, nor is the F side really that great either. Always end up sitting in the smoking room and you get to meet some really cool people in there too :)

Hopefully the new look will be mind blowing. MH is already behind some of the leaders in lounge area (read: Emirates in DXB) which provide direct access from the lounge to the aircraft. Since such facility could never been done in KUL due to the lounge's location and layout of the whole terminal, hence the overall offerings must be outstanding to overcome the shortcomings.

The DXB concourse A F lounge is awesome. The one thing I don't like is that the duty free shop assumes that since it's a premium lounge, nobody wants to buy cheap things, as such the selection of duty free INSIDE the lounge is pretty geared to the high end.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

I must say that the last renovation of the business class section was somewhat underwhelming. The new 'sports bar' never seemed to be used by anyone and the layout of the seating was not very welcoming, a bit like a bus waiting area. The only seating that was lounge style was the family section, which was generally used by someone lying prone fast asleep. The toilet and shower facilities certainly need an overhaul as many times the facilities are out of order. Let's hope that the 'new' lounge will be 'mind blowing'!

Not quite - gold/business/sapphire is one side to the left.

To the right is the main entrance for First/Emerald - there is then another smaller area within the F side that is dubbed the platinum suite.

The platinum suite is not much to shout about, nor is the F side really that great either. Always end up sitting in the smoking room and you get to meet some really cool people in there too :)

Ah, OK. I've been in the First/Emerald side a few times, but never noticed the Platinum Suite. Certainly been in the smoking room that side, but never bumped into you. I look forward to it next time!

Certainly been in the smoking room that side, but never bumped into you. I look forward to it next time!

Just look for the old hag in the corner. That's me.

The lounge really needs an upgrade, especially the shower facilities! The whole first class side is called the Platinum Lounge now. There needs to be more seating in the platinum lounge and spa treatments should be free like they are in the Qantas First lounges in Australia.

The previous renovation was a joke. I don't think the F side got any nicer, and was downsized instead. And I've seen some locker room showers that are way nicer than those in both the F and J sides.

I'll be there a day after the J side scheduled to re-open. Can't wait to check it out! Oh wait, I just remembered this is Bolehland. Better not get my hopes up ;)

I really hope they update the showers. Most people complain about them.

I am not keeping my hopes up for a change to something like QF or CX F lounge given the length of time it's closed (4.5 weeks for J and 8 weeks for F). :p

How about better food at the F side now that OWE gain entry to the F lounge. :)

MH get your ducks in a row ! went to regional almost no space to stand ,denied entry into CX went to MAB .... Now enjoying a nice standing corner here :) enjoyable .......

Would love to take some pics of the MAB lounge for you but all I'd get is people. You wouldn't be able to see the lounge itself

Edited by Suzanne Goh

Guest Michael O'Neill

I am going to be coming to Penang in February. I hope The Regional Lounge is looking fantastic then.

MH get your ducks in a row ! went to regional almost no space to stand ,denied entry into CX went to MAB .... Now enjoying a nice standing corner here :) enjoyable .......

Would love to take some pics of the MAB lounge for you but all I'd get is people. You wouldn't be able to see the lounge itself

What time were you there? Did CX know who they were messing with when they denied you entry?! :p

What time were you there? Did CX know who they were messing with when they denied you entry?! :p

7.30am. No lah. They were really full - all the lounges bursting at the seams :(

7.30am. No lah. They were really full - all the lounges bursting at the seams :(

Wonder if the 10am hour on a Friday is as busy. If all else fails there's always the PP lounge :p

Since the last renovation of MH Satellite Lounge I've been using the CX lounge (because of the self service bar :p)

Can anyone confirm CX is now exclusively for Platinum members ?

Renovation, schmenovation!! What also needs to follow is decent housekeeping. Our last visit on 26-Sep to J side and there were dead insects, dust bunnies and dried leaves on the windowsill of the viewing windows. Just plain skanky

So many places & facilities in Malaysia start out great, but due to poor maintenance and upkeep degenerate into something awful. The Hokkiens have a saying, "Tiger head and mouse's tail"... maybe that can be the new airline logo.

Well, we live in hope, but then again, "endless possibilities".

Since the last renovation of MH Satellite Lounge I've been using the CX lounge (because of the self service bar :p)

Can anyone confirm CX is now exclusively for Platinum members ?

No - not only for Platinum members. Anyone eligible can use. In addition, the Regional J lounge has cordoned off an area for Platinums also (on the left)

Sign in to follow this