MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
xtemujin

2015 Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition

Thanks Flee, xtemujin for the info! Appreciate it! Will book the flight soon :D

Anyone headed there on a day trip as well? :D

It is about a 15 minutes walk from the Langkawi airport to the Mahsuri International Exhibition Centre.

Bear in mind that you flight may be delayed to Langkawi due to the closure of the airspace.

It's quite difficult to get taxis during LIMA at the airport.

I am keen to visit LIMA 2015 as well. If anyone is looking for additional spotting partner to share perhaps the accommodation or transportation, and also talk about aviation, can let me know. :)

1 more question, is it recommended to stay 1 more day after the event just to shoot the leaving planes?

Royal Thai Air Force will be part of the flying display. Don't know which type!

Flying display on trade-days will be 120 min (instead of 90min) every day!

I was thinking to stay 2 days as well. My last experience at LIMA, there were some planes that may not be flying on one day, i.e 2013 i got the Typhoon, Grippen and Rafale in the morning, but the Hornet only came out the next day...

Concern on my end was the hotel price...my last stay it cost me RM500/night....at Holiday Villa. Maybe if got 2-3 people going together, we can share the cost of the hotel and car..

I can poke around to try and find out the Hotel's staff price for Lima days this year. Or if got other cheaper alternatives that'd be cool too :D

I am keen to visit LIMA 2015 as well. If anyone is looking for additional spotting partner to share perhaps the accommodation or transportation, and also talk about aviation, can let me know. :)

1 more question, is it recommended to stay 1 more day after the event just to shoot the leaving planes?

Edited by Wong Kok Choy

There are many homestays and guest houses - but even they increase their prices during school holidays and LIMA. But they should cost less than RM 100 per night.

RTAF should be the JAS Gripen flight display like the 2013 LIMA.

So far I'm not sure what assests RSAF is showcasing at LIMA this year.

Edited by xtemujin

Thanks flee! By any chance there'd be a group from here heading out to LIMA 2015? Would be great to head out there together and perhaps share the costs and excitement :)

There are many homestays and guest houses - but even they increase their prices during school holidays and LIMA. But they should cost less than RM 100 per night.

17th-21st March

No entry of the Apache in the display list (yet; hopefully RSAF will send a few up)

Which day is best for a day trip ? Understand only the last 2 days are "Public-Access" , so would want to maximize the items on display ... not too worried on aerial displays since these are weather / equipment dependent and tough to confirm.

Tweet from LIMA officials: "Come view and experience over 100 aircraft ..."

Hope we'll see a new list within the next days!

Edited by Sascha

Which day is best for a day trip ? Understand only the last 2 days are "Public-Access" , so would want to maximize the items on display ... not too worried on aerial displays since these are weather / equipment dependent and tough to confirm.

Well I myself have only been to one airshow which was the Singapore Airshow 2014. I went during the public days and missed out on the A350 and the B787 that came on the first and left on the second day. Based on this experience, my best bet would be to go on the first or second day of the trade days if you want to see the most number of aircraft.

If you are not able to make it for the trade days, I guess the best would be to go during the first Public Day.

Just my opinion though as I have not been to LIMA before.

@ Timothy

In my opinion, the best day for a one-day-visit is the tuesday, because of the opening fly-by in the morning. Two years ago, the RMAF showed F-5, Hawk, F-18 and Su-30 during the opening-ceremony. The Su's threw flares etc. The highlight was a fly-by of a Malaysian Airlines A380 together with four Su-30. But, the flying-display in the afternoon won't show all participants. To see all possible participants, it might be better to visit the LIMA on public days.

Not the easiest decision, I think ... :-)

Russian Knights confirmed via offical LIMA tweet

With all six aircraft or just two like in Avalon?

Big update on www.lima.com.my:

81 and Black Knights with 6xF-16 confirmed!

From twitter:

Super Hornet (US) and B-52 confirmed!

That's gonna be awesome. I last saw the BUFF in the 2012 Singapore Airshow and was huge. Unfortunately didn't really have a good angle to shoot it. Guessing it's gonna be a fly by just like 2012.....I'd hazard it'd be hard for it to land at Langkawi..?

From twitter:

Super Hornet (US) and B-52 confirmed!

I'd hazard it'd be hard for it to land at Langkawi..?

The LGK runway is 3,810m long - so it isn't a problem. But I think the USAF prefers people to look at it from the outside. Too many secrets inside. The P8 is similarly highly secret.

Looks like they have not given up trying to sell the Super Hornet to the RMAF. They are here in 2013 too. So that might mean the Omega Tanker will be around too.

web.jpg

B-52 is not much of use for RMAF, but the P8 might be. :D