MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
xtemujin

2015 Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition

Zahid: Lima is third biggest defence expo in the world

24 April 2013 Wednesday | 8:53:47 PM MYT

LANGKAWI: The Langkawi Inter­national Maritime and Air Exhibition (Lima) 2013 is now recognised as the third biggest defence exposition in the world, says Defence Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

He said Lima 2013 was now ranked third largest after the Farnborough Air Show in Britain and the Paris Air Show in France.

Dr Zahid said the next Lima show, to be held during the March 2015 school holidays, was expected to attract more than 200,000 visitors and was set to be the biggest and most impressive yet.

To cater to the expected increase of exhi­bitors and visitors, he said the Mahsuri International Exhibition Centre (MIEC) and its surrounding area would be upgraded. For this year’s show, RM25mil was spent to upgrade the lifts of the MIEC.

“The Langkawi Development Authority (Lada) will refurbish the MIEC’s viewing gallery, exhibition hall and surrounding areas.

“I will also submit a request to widen the roads leading to the main exhibition halls to address the current traffic congestion that occurs at every Lima show,” he said after the final day of Lima 2013 here yesterday.

Dr Zahid said Lima 2013 had attracted more than 40,000 professional visitors and traders as well as 632 local and foreign media representatives.

He added that 180,000 people, including tourists, had visited the exhibition.

“When it was opened to the public, 50,000 tickets had been snapped up and we printed another 20,000. Still, they were not enough as more people wanted to see the exhibition,” he added.

He criticised some online blogs that claimed that the event was “not as big” as in the previous years.

“This year’s participation of ships and aircraft on display was more than the last show in 2011, so the facts speak for themselves,” he added.

Dr Zahid said Lima was unique because the aerospace and maritime shows were merged.

At other events, the air show was held separately from the maritime exhibition.

“This is the biggest success for our country,” he added.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013/03/31/Zahid-Lima-is-third-biggest-defence-expo-in-the-world.aspx

Exactly. Is LIMA (the aerospace portion) bigger than Dubai Air Show or even the Singapore Air Show?

I don't think the number of visitors should be used as a benchmark to measure the success of LIMA. It should be the amount of sales transacted at the event. And I am not talking about karipap sales here, it's the thing that matter - aircraft sales from the big guys - Airbus, Boeing etc.

You know they are not good with numbers, right?

You know they are not good with numbers, right?

On the contrary, they are very, very good

Otherwise a politician you are not :D

I've been coming down to LIMA since 2009.

The jam still occurs near the single lane road to MIEC, no pedestrian walkway from MIEC to the airport and not enough taxi.

I wonder this surrounding upgrades in 2015 will materialise or just lip service.

I'm not sure if the intel is correct.

17 (Tue) - 21 (Sat) March 2015

From scramble website.

Edited by xtemujin

Want to ask those who have been to the previous LIMA exhibitions, is it better to go on the Trade Days or on the Public Days?

I'm asking this based on the experience I had at the Singapore Airshow 2014. Trade visitors had more accessibility to the aircraft on display. Is it the same for LIMA?

LIMA is the same as Singapore Airshow. Trade days are already crowded. Public days are even worse!

Ouch. Safe to say that everyone will be also aiming for cabin visits or new aircraft? Are there more aerial displays during the trade days?

I saw in the itinerary of LIMA 2013 that the aerial display duration is more or less the same as those of the public days, though for the public days there are more slots.

Don't want to be missing planes again for this airshow (like the A350 in Singapore Airshow :( )

Depends on what you want I think. I am good just to take photos of aircraft during flying display, So was early there twice and camp for awhile at the opposite side. If you are hunting for memorabilia then trade days as early as possible. Basically can be a free show but not the case with SAS I think.

Depends on what you want I think. I am good just to take photos of aircraft during flying display, So was early there twice and camp for awhile at the opposite side. If you are hunting for memorabilia then trade days as early as possible. Basically can be a free show but not the case with SAS I think.

Mostly photos. Of course to enjoy the aerial displays as well. :)

Edited by SS Lee

Have to wait for the list of aircrafts coming down to the 2015 LIMA.

I don't think the aircraft list will be as good as that of 2013. RMAF no longer has the budget.

Still, I hope that Airbus will send the A350. But then, most of the region's airlines have already ordered it - SQ, D7, TG. So only MH to woo...

I think it won't be difficult to sell anything to Malaysia by giving some "incentive", but the A350 didn't stay long at SAS which is a more glamorous event. So chances is pretty slim.

I think it won't be difficult to sell anything to Malaysia by giving some "incentive", but the A350 didn't stay long at SAS which is a more glamorous event. So chances is pretty slim.

I think it was a major coup for SAS this year - GG was still in the middle of testing and certification, so it is still a very busy period for the Airbus team.

I think that if MAS were to evaluate the A350 as a replacement for its B772/A333 fleet, then Airbus will send the A350 to LIMA 2015 in a flash! ;)

I see on Expedia that fares to LGK are RM 130 return on MH. Anyone planning to go for LIMA 2015?

Any rumours regarding participants of flying display?

Rumour from an english airshow-forum:

RSAF Black Knights will perform on next years LIMA.