MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Arthur W.

MASwings Twin Otter Crashed in Kudat

Frankly speaking, official report should be in BM and not in English. English translation should be provided but the official BM report should hold superior over the English report should there be any discrepancies.

It is a given that the Malaysian way of writing in English might be different (or wrong/funny in fact) but that's how things work pretty much everywhere in the world where English is not the first language.

I've spent the last 6 months reading reports and presentation slides from the subsidiaries of 2 of the biggest companies in the world (with HQ in English speaking countries) that currently operate in Europe (ex UK). I would have to say I'm having a headache just trying to understand what they're trying to say not to mention tons of grammatical errors and typos. What more the authors are PhD holders and are really good in what they do, just not in English.

Frankly speaking, official report should be in BM and not in English. English translation should be provided but the official BM report should hold superior over the English report should there be any discrepancies.

It is a given that the Malaysian way of writing in English might be different (or wrong/funny in fact) but that's how things work pretty much everywhere in the world where English is not the first language.

I've spent the last 6 months reading reports and presentation slides from the subsidiaries of 2 of the biggest companies in the world (with HQ in English speaking countries) that currently operate in Europe (ex UK). I would have to say I'm having a headache just trying to understand what they're trying to say not to mention tons of grammatical errors and typos. What more the authors are PhD holders and are really good in what they do, just not in English.

Exactly, despite their English may not be as good, doesn't mean they are idiots... period!

Language is one thing, but intelligence, knowledge and ideas are quite another!

I agreed, it should be done in BM first, the national language. Otherwise, where and when do we use the Malay language, our national language? What is BM for if everything is written in English? Might as well be an English (Manglish) speaking country like Singapore.

Actually, it is quite funny with how things work in where I currently reside. In HK, the business is done in English and Chinese is a second language. Ironically, Chinese was only introduced by the government during the '70-80s when the British slowly realised their lease will eventually run out in HK in 1997. In the post colonial society of today, HK is still stuck in the old ways of doing things, just like back in the colonial days. Normal Hong Kongers' English level is pretty poor and even businessmen, professionals alike..., especially those who have not been living and studying in native English speaking countries. Sometimes I wonder why they use English at all, just to please a small bunch of international audience (less than 5% of the population) and 50% of their trade is actually with China (yes without China, HK is screwed). Funniest thing is that in many of the government documents here, Chinese is preceded by English. Many of the people here seemed to have a poor command and understanding of the English language. For example, on my day to day email, I see the following:

Dear Mr. Choong:

"Attached please find attached such and such document"

OR

"'Enclosed please find such and such document"

This is when I feel like face palming. Why did they put Attached and Enclosed upfront? One of the worse sentence in HK is "Please be reminded that you have a meeting today..." It is so polite that I have to remind myself or who is reminding who? Growing up in NZ and spent years in Australia, I must say I have never seen "please be reminded...". Native English speakers will simply use "You are reminded that your meeting is such and such time". Don't get me started on the word "kindly", many non-native English used it without even knowing that using "kindly" is a sign of slight frustration or face the consequences if you failed to follow the writer's instruction. Many here thought it is a stronger word for "please" and using both please and kindly on the same sentence will make it look extra polite, hence I get many emails or whatsapp "Mr. Choong, kindly please return my call"! Just super hilarious!

I am just using HK as an example. If your strongest language is Chinese, then use bloody Chinese and not sub-standard or half-arsed English that made them looked like asses... We need to take care of ourselves first before being so bloody considerate on foreigners! (far too considerate IMHO). My 2 cents.

Sorry about the ranting... way O/T! Off to Xiamen.... :p

Edited by S V Choong

... way O/T! Off to Xiamen.... :p

Please kindly be reminded to enjoy your trip and find attached our enclosed best wishes for a safe journey :p

Please kindly be reminded to enjoy your trip and find attached our enclosed best wishes for a safe journey :p

And please be reminded to laugh out loud too. This is a gentle reminder. :db: :db: :db:

And please be reminded to laugh out loud too. This is a gentle reminder. :db: :db: :db:

Attached please find attached LOL emoticons

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Edited by S V Choong