MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Incident: EVA B773 at San Francisco on Jul 23rd 2013, descended below safe height

Aha, the FAA has spoken. Close, but no cigar. I am more with the Flight Safety Foundation take on it.

And as i mentioned on post #5 on this topic, if you accept quality decline on aircrew, then also accept, mandatory availability of adequate landing guidance systems on all airports. You can not be half pregnant.

As Capt. Radzi has said correctly, if you use the automation features the aircraft manufacturer has put into your flightdeck, than you must have the knowledge to use them properly. And, if those playstation features do not what you want them to do, switch them off, left hand on yoke, right hand on throttle and look outside in front of you. Its an aircraft, not a flying saucer. If you can not handle these both types of approaches, then you are not a qualified pilot and the regulators who have issued such licenses nevertheless are equily guilty if a mishap occurs because of such flaws in airmanship.

This has nothing to do with being old hag or young hag, It is fundamental.

As to further illustrate why i am not going with the FAA recomendation on foreign pilots, as i also not differentiate between old hags and young hags, here is a story in closing.

Years ago, when this old hag was still earning his salary by crisscrossing the world in a big aluminium tube, it was on one of these seldom days that the weather and visibility at Dubai were such that you could see more than a hundred miles around you. If you know Dubai, it is seldom.

So, there we where, all lined up by ATC on that fine morning on a left hand for 12R. The procedure that time called for a lot of track miles over the sea and than intercept the ILS. I think i was #6 in sequence when the #1 in sequence, an EK T7 recognised the opportunity and asked ATC for a visual. It was granted and we all, far far out could see it. Down he went on a left bank and rolled level about 3 miles out. Landed as it should be done. #2 in sequence saw that and reuested a visual, a Thai 747. Same thing, descending left turn, roll out 3 miles final and landed as it should be done.

The #3 was a well known Western European Legacy operator with a T7 and ATC asked him if he wanted the visual as well. From the tone of his voice we all heard that he was not really comfortable with it but accepted it anyway. There he went, left descending turn but ended up far way out and overshoot the extended centerline. We all looked on in disbelief. He could not hack it and made the only right decision. He did go around.

That was it for ATC. The rest of us had to do the full procedure and no more visuals were allowed.

I hope you do see the point i am trying to make.

Cheers

Art

Art, thanks for the experience.

Around this area opportunities do come sometimes, in the name of runway 22 in PEN and 20 in BKI. But I've been in PEN, being no 2 or 3, and no 1 is a foreign carrier, when offered for visual by ATC, answered "Negative. Company policy". Which means the longish full procedures for the rest of the pack.

Capt. Radzi, could you elaborate a bit on the Rwy 22 approach? I haven't seen traffic pattern approach into Rwy 22 for many years now, and Rwy 22 approach itself seem to be very rare these days.

Sign in to follow this