MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JingKai Seah

Accident: Asiana B772 at San Francisco on Jul 6th 2013

So the two flight attendants who had been ejected from the plane did not make it either? Does this make the total death to 4 now?

No. Only two people died. Actually, the latest report now says 3 flight attendants and 2 passengers were ejected from the fuselage on impact and not only 4 people as previously reported. All the 3 flight attendants survived. There were 4 cabin crew seated at the rear galley and 3 were thrown out from the plane.

According to NTSB, NO passenger seats were ejected. All passenger seats stayed inside the aircraft. So may be the seat-belt broke, or the two poor souls that died in the crash did not even fasten their seat belt in the first place or the seat belt was loosely fastened...

Latest animation.

This is a bit different compared to the one shown on KBS World...

This is a bit different compared to the one shown on KBS World...

This one latest it seems.

---

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2013/07/11/animation-re-creates-saturdays-sfo-crash/

Former pilot’s animation re-creates Saturday’s SFO crash

This detailed animation depicting Saturday’s crash at San Francisco International Airport was created by a former pilot who runs a computer animation company that specializes in re-creating air crashes.

Jack Suchocki, who flew 727s and other aircraft, made this animation to demonstrate his company’s work, and because he believes “this was a very unique crash that will be influential in evaluating pilot training and qualifications.”

Suchocki started Eyewitness Animations in Pompano Beach, Fla., after his career as a captain with Eastern Airlines. His company uses computer-aided design modeling from San Rafael-based Autodesk to re-create air crashes for investigations and litigation.

The video depicts the crash of Asiana Flight 214, which killed two and injured approximately 180. The audio is communications from the plane and emergency radio broadcasts.

The animation begins when the plane is below 500 feet in elevation, and transpires in real time. Speed was a major issue in the crash, and the ghost plane in the video showing how the plane should have landed would have immediately left the frame of the video if depicted realistically. For that reason, Suchocki had the two planes travel together.

This is a new version of the video from one posted earlier today. This version shows the plane skidding to a halt, before it erupted in fire.

Asiana crash: S. Koreans dismiss cockpit culture as cause of crash

SEOUL (AFP) - South Korean aviation officials on Friday dismissed any suggestion that a deferential culture in which junior pilots were afraid to challenge their seniors played a part in the crash of an Asiana jet in San Francisco.

Two people died and more than 180 were injured when a Boeing 777 crashed last Saturday after clipping a seawall short of the runway, skidding out of control, shredding the tail of the plane and catching fire.

An investigation by the US National Transportation Safety Board is focusing much of its attention on the Lee Gang Kuk, who was landing the 777 for his first time, and his trainer Lee Jeong Min.

"We're certainly interested to see if there are issues where there are challenges to crew communication," Deborah Hersman said, head of the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) which is investigated the crash said on Wednesday.

Aviation industry have been training pilots in order "to make sure that a junior pilot feels comfortable challenging a senior pilot and to make sure the senior pilot welcomes feedback in a cockpit environment from all members of the crew and considers it", she said.

But Chang Man Heui, director of flight standards at the South Korean transportation ministry said it was "outrageous to suggest that traditional Korean Confucianist culture might have contributed to the accident".

"It's true that authoritarianism existed in the cockpit until the late 1990s (of South Korean flights) but we have now a completely different culture," he said, dismissing such a suggestion as "anachronistic".

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/asia/story/asiana-crash-s-koreans-dismiss-cockpit-culture-cause-crash-20130712

Somewhat OTT but here's a list of the pilots' names according to KTVU :p

Edited by Y. J. Foo

thelist of pilots posted above in the "video" is totally and obviously wrong - the pilot doing the landing at the time is Gang-Guk Lee and the supervising pilot is Jeong-Min Lee.

thelist of pilots posted above in the "video" is totally and obviously wrong - the pilot doing the landing at the time is Gang-Guk Lee and the supervising pilot is Jeong-Min Lee.

It's rather obvious that the video is poking fun at the pilots. Don't be surprise if a lawsuit springs up about it.

NTSB statement on erroneous confirmation of crew names July 12

The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.

Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft.

The NTSB does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media.

We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident.

Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html

It's rather obvious that the video is poking fun at the pilots. Don't be surprise if a lawsuit springs up about it.

Actually, it's not someone is poking fun at the pilots, but rather the local news station. The station did not fact check their sources and reported it as news. Just like how people will say Michael Hunt, Michael Koch, Richard Hertz etc. with a shortened first name.

Actually, it's not someone is poking fun at the pilots, but rather the local news station. The station did not fact check their sources and reported it as news. Just like how people will say Michael Hunt, Michael Koch, Richard Hertz etc. with a shortened first name.

If the NTSB issued an apology statement I'm inclined to believe the source of the error is from the NTSB. The local news station logically will just follow, since they deemed the NTSB as credible source. But then again, like the NTSB chairman said, "hindsight is 20/20".

The actual names of the pilots are far from being shortened first name. (There is no shortened names in East Asian names by the way).

The local TV station should have checked and would have realised the names sounded stupid anyway. Apparently a summer intern at NTSB decided to have a bit of fun in his/her job and picked the wrong time and occasion to do it.

I guess he will be the real "Ho Lee Fuk" soon, when they placed disciplinary action against him. One word summed up his action: "stupidity". Guess he lost his job as an intern and that is going to look great on his CV

Edited by S V Choong

If the NTSB issued an apology statement I'm inclined to believe the source of the error is from the NTSB. The local news station logically will just follow, since they deemed the NTSB as credible source. But then again, like the NTSB chairman said, "hindsight is 20/20".

The NTSB issued an apology because an intern "acted outside his scope...he erroneously confirmed the names". True - but don't KTVU at least read through these names and know that they are being punked?

The actual names of the pilots are far from being shortened first name. (There is no shortened names in East Asian names by the way).

The local TV station should have checked and would have realised the names sounded stupid anyway. Apparently a summer intern at NTSB decided to have a bit of fun in his/her job and picked the wrong time and occasion to do it.

I guess he will be the real "Ho Lee Fuk" soon, when they placed disciplinary action against him. One word summed up his action: "stupidity". Guess he lost his job as an intern and that is going to look great on his CV

I am not saying it's a shortened given name - I am giving examples of how people will slip these names into the teleprompter for laughs. I didn't want to spell out "MIke Cunt, Mike Koch and Dick Hertz" - These are all valid given names and surnames.

PS: There are shortened given/first names in East Asia (not so much with Chinese names since there are only few alphabets to begin with), but I know Thais and Malays have shortened names (e.g. Zulklifli can also be known as Zul and I probably can't pronounce the entire name for some Thais).

The NTSB issued an apology because an intern "acted outside his scope...he erroneously confirmed the names". True - but don't KTVU at least read through these names and know that they are being punked?

I am not saying it's a shortened given name - I am giving examples of how people will slip these names into the teleprompter for laughs. I didn't want to spell out "MIke Cunt, Mike Koch and Dick Hertz" - These are all valid given names and surnames.

PS: There are shortened given/first names in East Asia (not so much with Chinese names since there are only few alphabets to begin with), but I know Thais and Malays have shortened names (e.g. Zulklifli can also be known as Zul and I probably can't pronounce the entire name for some Thais).

i realised what what your points are about shortened names like Richard Hertz. Richard being the formal form of Dick. I had a good laugh myself. Except for the fact Thais and Malays aren't East Asians, they are South East Asian. East Asia = China (HK, Taiwan, mainland Macau), Koreas, Japan and Mongolia, which shares a common Confucian based culture (except Mongolia).

You might argue that the Japanese and Mongolians have shortened names. The way they use their shortened name is different from the West, but in this case, clearly, is the Koreans. You have validated my point. It is hard to make shortened names for Chinese and Korean names. It does not take anyone any effort to realise those pilot names are jokes. Especially so for those who have lived in the West, but these Americans were so clueless! Duh~~ (face palm)

That intern clearly picked the wrong place to make stupid jokes.

Edited by S V Choong

Yes they should have. That's why they're being punked.

Asiana to sue over bogus pilot names gaffe

SEOUL - Asiana said Sunday it was planning lawsuits against US transport authorities and a TV station for mistakenly confirming and airing false and offensive names for the pilots behind its fatal crash in San Francisco.

Fox network affiliate KTVU news Channel 2 in Oakland identified the pilots of the Asiana Boeing 777 that crashed last weekend as "Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk," and "Bang Ding Ow."

KTVU cited the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) as its source, but quickly realised the mistake and apologised.

The NTSB later apologised for the "inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed" as those of the Asiana pilots - and blamed the mistake on an intern.

Asiana however said the incident had "seriously tarnished the dignity of the four pilots as well as the company".

"We are planning legal actions against KTVU that aired the report as well as the NTSB that confirmed the names," the air carrier said in a statement.

Three people died when Asiana Airlines Flight 214 crashed while landing at San Francisco International Airport on July 6 and more than 180 were injured.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/World/Story/A1Story20130714-437056.html

Sign in to follow this