MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
JingKai Seah

Accident: Asiana B772 at San Francisco on Jul 6th 2013

Did hear right that the pilots of the Asiana plane requested for emergency vehicles to stand by?

Edited by Phil M.

Tail strikes most likely. And still some passengers managed to grab their bags etc. Amazing.

Could be Pilots or ATC fault like giving wrong altitude or speed of the plane while approaching runway, based on CNN's animation.

Could be Pilots or ATC fault like giving wrong altitude or speed of the plane while approaching runway, based on CNN's animation.

ATC gives clearances up to your approach, after that it's all yours. They don't baby sit you down the runway, unless of course you're doing a PAR Approach, but that is mostly military.

Edited by Walter Sim

May I know how was it that the cabin crew could survive while the 2 passengers did not? I would think the crew were seated far back in the galley...if the tail broke open...won't the crew be thrown out as well? Sorry I am just curious...when that said 2 people died...I thought it was the crew...based on the detached tail...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

May I know how was it that the cabin crew could survive while the 2 passengers did not? I would think the crew were seated far back in the galley...if the tail broke open...won't the crew be thrown out as well? Sorry I am just curious...when that said 2 people died...I thought it was the crew...based on the detached tail...

Probably because the crew has a harness restraint while pax only have to make do with lap belts?

Does the fuel line runs through the top fuselage as well? From the photos, it looks to me only the top part of the fuselage is burnt, the wings hauling the fuel barely had signs of char burnt marks.

I hope those pax with their baggage and belongings did not cause delay in the evacuation process, it might be the reason that claimed two lifes.

I hope those pax with their baggage and belongings did not cause delay in the evacuation process, it might be the reason that claimed two lifes.

Don't think so.

From CNN:

"The two fatalities were found outside the plane, with San Francisco Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White saying it was her understanding "that they were found on the runway.""

It would be helpful if all airports could install cctvs overlooking runways to record whatever that may cause accidents, considering takeoffs and landings are the most critical phases of flight.

Does the fuel line runs through the top fuselage as well? From the photos, it looks to me only the top part of the fuselage is burnt, the wings hauling the fuel barely had signs of char burnt marks.

There is a speculation duty free liquor on the overhead caused the burnt roof. Edited by Walter Sim

When they aircraft first crashed landed, they fire was only at the right engine, the fuselage was in full metal tube. This a testament how solid Boeing builds their B777 to be in.

In split seconds, it started to spread to the cabin. Thereafter, it burnt through the forward fuselage. The back part remained untouched. I wonder if the duty free alcohol is placed in front fuselage?

If this is proven to be the cause of fire, would it be time to ban alcohol duty free? I wonder what's the point of selling onboard when some pax would have purchase in the airport prior to boarding?? The profit is also only marginal for the airline. Maybe extra commission for cabin crew?? But at the expenses of passengers if the aircraft does crash?? Hmm,........a point to ponder.

There is a speculation duty free liquor on the overhead caused the burnt roof.

Thank you. That could be it.

My heart goes out to the two Chinese students. Only 16.

More news coming in..

(CNN) -- The cockpit voice recorder of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 appears to show that the pilots tried to abort the landing just 1.5 seconds before it crashed at San Francisco International Airport, the head of the National Transportation Safety Board said Sunday.

The pilots appear to have increased speed 7 seconds before impact, and they then "called to initiate a go-around 1.5 seconds to impact," Deborah Hersman said.

The NTSB's preliminary assessment of the plane's cockpit and flight data recorders show the flight was coming in too slow and too low. But when asked if pilot error was to blame, Hersman said the crash landing was still under investigation.

"I would discourage anyone from drawing any conclusions at this point," she said, adding that investigators are still working to corroborate the information on the recorders.

But what happened inside the cockpit of the Boeing 777 may well be the key factor in Saturday's accident that killed two people, injured 182 and forced the temporary closure of one of the country's largest airports. - CNN

What is more disheartening is that "....... In a tragic new twist, the San Francisco Fire Department said that one of the teenagers may have been run over by an emergency vehicle as first responders scrambled to the scene.

"One of the deceased did have injuries consistent with those of having been run over by a vehicle," fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. "Many agencies were on the field yesterday."

What is more disheartening is that "....... In a tragic new twist, the San Francisco Fire Department said that one of the teenagers may have been run over by an emergency vehicle as first responders scrambled to the scene.

"One of the deceased did have injuries consistent with those of having been run over by a vehicle," fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. "Many agencies were on the field yesterday."

Oh, if this is true, it is indeed very tragic indeed. Having survived the crash only to be run-down by an emergency truck sent to help. This may explain why there are two passengers dead outside the airplane.

Sign in to follow this