MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mulyadir Fitri

Simultaneous Parallel Approaches for KUL

The Kuala Lumpur International Airport and Terminal Area will be upgraded to address the

enhancement of the operations for Simultaneous Parallel Approaches, through the following

improvements:.

• integration of a second movement area (klia2) and a 3rd runway, including the installation

of a second control tower;

• implementation of Simultaneous Parallel Operations on KL International Airport, both for

departure and arrival phase.

Runway Designations

The third runway has the same runway orientation with the existing runways. Currently

14L/32R and 14R/32L. As there are plans for the construction of a fourth parallel

runway, the third runway will be designated 15/33.

http://aip.dca.gov.my/aip%20pdf%20new/AIC/AIC%20201304.pdf

Yes, the original KLIA masterplan included four runways.

Yes, but not parallel. The fourth one is for approaches from the direction of the Strait of Malacca.

1010690_10151704449729168_698947575_n.jp

Additional searches revealed this:

Screen+shot+2012-07-07+at+8.42.07+PM.png

I bet Kisho-san is rolling over in his grave with this

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Do you really think Tony would let his birds taxi all the way to 32R for takeoff?

Which of Tony's bird requires 3960m runway for take off?

Is there really a need for a 3960m Runway 3?? What a waste of money...

That is a standard runway length for a modern sea-level airport. While the new runway will mostly be used by narrowbodies, it should be able to handle other traffic as well in the event other runways are closed.

I am more interested in the Simultaneous Parallel ops. Hopefully with that, it will alleviate the congestion of air traffic at KUL during peak hours. That and also the upgrading of DCA's systems.

They need to sort out the controllers too. Modern equipments are useless without trained proactive controllers.

Edited by Walter Sim

From the looks of it, Runway 15/33 will be ready before klia2 opens. I wonder if they will begin using the new runway once it is ready or will they wait for klia2 to open before they open the runway.

BTW, in the original masterplan, you can see that the alignment of the ERL is different. It goes under 32R/14L and into the MTB. Had they followed that alignment, there won't be any problem for klia2 to be constructed opposite the MTB which has better soil conditions and be able to be connected to 14L. But the tunnel should be done together with the airport itself prior to opening so that ops won't be disrupted. I guess they did not think that far ahead.

They need to sort out the controllers too. Modern equipments are useless without trained proactive controllers.

Hehe this is the sentiment of all pilots. We wish the same of controllers sometimes in WSJC.

Sign in to follow this