MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Danial

Malaysia Airlines slapping me with 734s and old 738s.

May I ask how many configuration are there for the 737? I have taken at least 4 different ones in recent months - the old 737-400 (with horrible seat colours), the 737-800 (ex firefly), the 9M-MS* series with BSI, and yesterday, the 9M-ML* series. Seat comfort (not to mention the service and meals) is really inconsistent throughout these flights

Depends how much details you're looking for and in which class.

- MLM onwards have the BSI, just like all -MX & -MS series.

- MS series biz seats have slightly different colour headrests to other BSI -ML and -MX series. MS carry no life-rafts in the ceiling of the biz cabins.

- And those leased 738s with non BSI interiors (-FF and -ML series) - some have blue fabric seats in J whilst others have black "leather" seats in J. Those blue fabric seats are arguable the most comfortable in the fleet - plusher than the new blue leather seats on the -MX, -MS, -MLM+ series.

And the -FF series and pre-MLM series 738s have Y rows until #30, but until #29 for the rest.

-FF and pre-MLM series also lack closets in J.

New safety card design for MAS 738, layout and colour the same as A380..but with Oneworld logo

New safety card design for MAS 738, layout and colour the same as A380..but with Oneworld logo

That's been around for quite a while now since -MSA first arrived. You'll only see this design on the -MS series.

Apart from design & colours - key difference is the lack of reference to the life-rafts as they aren't any on the -MS series.

On the other 738s, there is a new variant of the previous safety card but now with the new-styled typeface and east-wards facing logo.

That's been around for quite a while now since -MSA first arrived. You'll only see this design on the -MS series.

Apart from design & colours - key difference is the lack of reference to the life-rafts as they aren't any on the -MS series.

On the other 738s, there is a new variant of the previous safety card but now with the new-styled typeface and east-wards facing logo.

aha...thanks for the details :)

Depends how much details you're looking for and in which class.

- MLM onwards have the BSI, just like all -MX & -MS series.

- MS series biz seats have slightly different colour headrests to other BSI -ML and -MX series. MS carry no life-rafts in the ceiling of the biz cabins.

- And those leased 738s with non BSI interiors (-FF and -ML series) - some have blue fabric seats in J whilst others have black "leather" seats in J. Those blue fabric seats are arguable the most comfortable in the fleet - plusher than the new blue leather seats on the -MX, -MS, -MLM+ series.

And the -FF series and pre-MLM series 738s have Y rows until #30, but until #29 for the rest.

-FF and pre-MLM series also lack closets in J.

thanks so much for the details. I wonder if we would ever know which series we will be on - i guess we have to depend on lady luck!

..... the 9M-ML* series. Seat comfort (not to mention the service and meals) is really inconsistent throughout these flights

Was on -MLQ the other day, seat was terribly uncomfortable and cramped, not least because of the IFE gadget (I think that is what it was) that took up a big part of the legroom. I was in an aisle seat, feel sorry for those who had to be by the windows

And this was only on the 2.5 hours KUL-BKI hop

Was on -MLQ the other day, seat was terribly uncomfortable and cramped, not least because of the IFE gadget (I think that is what it was) that took up a big part of the legroom. I was in an aisle seat, feel sorry for those who had to be by the windows

The seat, installed at just 30" apart is already very cramped. And the four BIG IFE boxes (yes, four, not two!) installed in each row make it all worse! :wacko:

Worse for those seated at windowless "window" seats. I think 9A & 8F on the BIS aircraft.

Worse for those seated at windowless "window" seats. I think 9A & 8F on the BIS aircraft.

No need to remind me, I am already 'grateful' it wasn't worse than what it was :)

By comparison, was seated at aisle on a 'windowless' row onboard Malindo's 9M-LNG the day before - very, very comfy :)

Were on 9M MQA last weekend and hv to admit the old 734 is still much comfy compared to the new B738. Being on MLR n MLH & FFF... My vote still goes to b734 for comfy. New b738 seat comfy suck, but compensated by the IFE...and the old b734 seems can fly even faster... We did kch kul in 1H 21 mins...and its a full flights..

Edited by Dr Chuo Hock Tieng

Were on 9M MQA last weekend and hv to admit the old 734 is still much comfy compared to the new B738. Being on MLR n MLH & FFF... My vote still goes to b734 for comfy. New b738 seat comfy suck, but compensated by the IFE...and the old b734 seems can fly even faster... We did kch kul in 1H 21 mins...and its a full flights..

I agree - the fabric seats of the 734 & 777 are in my opinion much more comfortable than the new leathers.

Did a quick visit to Penang last Saturday:

• 9M-MXO (BKI-KUL) > seated at 14D, probably the best seat for me right now and IFE was great too (this was my first time ever experiencing BSI), and the aircraft generally is quieter than -400 series.

• 9M-MMD (KUL-PEN) > seated at 14D, the age of that particular flying machine really got my attention. The tyres/landing gears were emanating strange noise everytime the plane slowed down while taxiing, as if not enough lubricant is put on the brake disc. A foreign passenger behind me was talking about it quite a few times.

Had the 734s last week, don't mind them now since they are on their way out of the fleet.

Flew to Miri on Thursday for work

Flew back to Kl on Friday

Both legs on -400 series.

Worst landing ever when coming returning to KLIA, rough and hard, felt like we crashed.

Going to miss the 734s...

..... everytime the plane slowed down while taxiing, as if not enough lubricant is put on the brake disc

I don't think they should lubricate the discs at all :D

Did a quick visit to Penang last Saturday:

• 9M-MXO (BKI-KUL) > seated at 14D, probably the best seat for me right now and IFE was great too (this was my first time ever experiencing BSI), and the aircraft generally is quieter than -400 series.

On the BSI 738s, the row 14 seats cannot be reclined which is unfortunate as I cant fathom a reason why they cant. However, on most if not all the leased 738s, the row 14 seats can - hence you have the best of both worlds...recline with acres of legroom.

And 14A and 14F on the 734s can be reclined and with legroom that is probably comparable to SQ A380 Suites! (ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point)

I don't think they should lubricate the discs at all :D

Haha, now I realise. But, yeah, the sound from the landing gears were pretty annoying.

On the BSI 738s, the row 14 seats cannot be reclined which is unfortunate as I cant fathom a reason why they cant. However, on most if not all the leased 738s, the row 14 seats can - hence you have the best of both worlds...recline with acres of legroom.

And 14A and 14F on the 734s can be reclined and with legroom that is probably comparable to SQ A380 Suites! (ok, I'm exaggerating but you get the point)

Didn't know that the seats at row 14 can't be reclined. But, the legroom is aplenty.

Well, row 14 is the row where the emergency exit is - so the additional legroom is to ensure fast evacuation in the event of an emergency.

I never had a good landing on MH 734s for some reasons. Even during taxiing, it was rough and the whole aircraft jiggled a lot.

On the other hand, the smoothest landing I ever experienced was on MH A330 at ADL. I didn't even know we already touched down.

Well, row 14 is the row where the emergency exit is - so the additional legroom is to ensure fast evacuation in the event of an emergency.

That's stating the obvious.

Point taken :)

IMG_0154.jpg

Never been in SQ A380 Suite before (nor likely ever will do) so unable to gauge what level of exaggeration was applied there :)

LOL! If the seat pitch is 36' for the 2 rows of emergency exit, plus Row 14 pitch of 32, that would give you 104' - that's LONGER than SQ's suite :)

Point taken :)

IMG_0154.jpg

Never been in SQ A380 Suite before (nor likely ever will do) so unable to gauge what level of exaggeration was applied there :)

the 738 fleet in Mas has so many types that its very confusing :glare: . So far i can conclude these are the types of cabin MAS has on their 738s. Also on online check in or mobile check in system will display 29 rows only so don't get your hopes high for IFE sky interior even if it shows 29 rows.

1. ML series (30 row unit and 29' tight seat pitch on y)
2. MLJ to MLL series (29 row unit and 30'seat pitch on y)
3. MLM onwards (29 row unit
and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior fitted with IFE)
4. FF series (30 row unit and 29' seat pitch on y)

5. FFF (29 row unit and 30' seat pitch on y imba seat pitch on first rows on y and J)
6. MX series (29 row unit
and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior and fitted with IFE)
7. MS series (29 row
unit and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior fitted with IFE and non ETOPS rated)

the 738 fleet in Mas has so many types that its very confusing :glare: . So far i can conclude these are the types of cabin MAS has on their 738s. Also on online check in or mobile check in system will display 29 rows only so don't get your hopes high for IFE sky interior even if it shows 29 rows.

1. ML series (30 row unit and 29' tight seat pitch on y)

2. MLJ to MLL series (29 row unit and 30'seat pitch on y)

3. MLM onwards (29 row unit and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior fitted with IFE)

4. FF series (30 row unit and 29' seat pitch on y)

5. FFF (29 row unit and 30' seat pitch on y imba seat pitch on first rows on y and J)

6. MX series (29 row unit and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior and fitted with IFE)

7. MS series (29 row unit and 30'seat pitch on y + bsi interior fitted with IFE and non ETOPS rated)

A 5-Star full service carrier with low-cost carrier seat pitch :db:

Sign in to follow this