MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mike P

Irregular approach to Sydney Airport by Tiger Airways Australia

Hi Guys,

I was on Tiger Airways Australia, TT 508, from MEL to SYD yesterday. As the plane was about to land and approach the runway, all of the sudden, the captain re-climbed up the plane vigorously and the plane soared back up into the sky. Everyone on board was shocked and wondering what had gone wrong.

Only later the captain announced that they had to recircle the plane for couple of minutes due to there was another plane, JQ 330, still not being cleared on the runway.

I have never experienced something like that before and when I told this to the airport staffs in SYD, they were speechless and seemingly shocked too. Then, they would say what you could expect much from a budget airline and sometimes thing like this happened, too, in SYD. I, on the other hand, won't think that TT should completely shoulder the responsibility because the captain would only approach the runway after given the clearance by the ATC, but somehow got revoked and they had to turn back. I would think ATC would have to bear much of the blame for this incident.

What do you guys think?

Not familiar with SYD, but usually all parties involved share some of the blame.

ATC for vectoring too closely.

Aircraft 1 for clearing the runway too slowly.

Aircraft 2 for following too closely and not slowing down soon enough.

These things are everyday stuff in KUL, but there are hardly any go-around due to separation problem.

Anyway these are stuff for pilots and ATC, so when you tell other airport staff, I don't expect them to be able to understand the situation.

Edited by Radzi

The JQ A330 probably didn't vacate the runway fast enough for whatever reason which caused ATC to order your flight to go-around.

It has nothing to do with being a budget airline - if it's a QF/SQ/EK plane on approach they'd do the same thing too.

The JQ A330 probably didn't vacate the runway fast enough for whatever reason which caused ATC to order your flight to go-around.

It has nothing to do with being a budget airline - if it's a QF/SQ/EK plane on approach they'd do the same thing too.

I tend to agree so I don't blame on the TT. I actually got to know a little more details when the captained stepped out and spoke with one of the stewardesses while I disembarked the plane.

Maybe cos syd always uses the IVA thus seperation rest on the ac on approach, hard to judge the ac on runway sometimes, anyway nothing serious, happen many times when landing ac could not vacate runway in time, some times 3nm separation is really tight

TT508, used to fly on one of those flights to SYD.

Just a question, is it okay to land if the plane is half way into the exit off the runway? Or do does it need to be fully vacated from the runway?

TT508, used to fly on one of those flights to SYD.

Just a question, is it okay to land if the plane is half way into the exit off the runway? Or do does it need to be fully vacated from the runway?

There are lines painted on the exits to separate runway and taxiway. As long as preceding aircraft has crossed that line it is deemed to have vacated.

There are lines painted on the exits to separate runway and taxiway. As long as preceding aircraft has crossed that line it is deemed to have vacated.

Ah. I see. Thanks! :)

Hi Guys,

I was on Tiger Airways Australia, TT 508, from MEL to SYD yesterday. As the plane was about to land and approach the runway, all of the sudden, the captain re-climbed up the plane vigorously and the plane soared back up into the sky. Everyone on board was shocked and wondering what had gone wrong.

Only later the captain announced that they had to recircle the plane for couple of minutes due to there was another plane, JQ 330, still not being cleared on the runway.

I have never experienced something like that before and when I told this to the airport staffs in SYD, they were speechless and seemingly shocked too. Then, they would say what you could expect much from a budget airline and sometimes thing like this happened, too, in SYD. I, on the other hand, won't think that TT should completely shoulder the responsibility because the captain would only approach the runway after given the clearance by the ATC, but somehow got revoked and they had to turn back. I would think ATC would have to bear much of the blame for this incident.

What do you guys think?

How did the captain climb vigorously? Was he rocking the wings or he himself was rocking sideways left and right in his seat?

LOL sorry couldn't resist :D

SYD is a busy airport that closes after 11pm (11pm-6am curfew). A lot of airlines are rushing to land and fly off. I think any delay like a fog or bad weather will cause some chaos, and may have cause the separations of planes coming in to land to be tighter than usual, especially those running low on fuel.

Nevertheless, good news that TT went on without any major incidence, and yeah, it could be quick a jot to the passengers to have experienced a go-around.

How did the captain climb vigorously? Was he rocking the wings or he himself was rocking sideways left and right in his seat?

LOL sorry couldn't resist :D

Just like it's a relaxing and slow approaching landing... but suddenly turned out to be accelerating and heading up to the sky.... You can hear the engine like throttling real loud like I've never heard before.

SYD is a busy airport that closes after 11pm (11pm-6am curfew). A lot of airlines are rushing to land and fly off. I think any delay like a fog or bad weather will cause some chaos, and may have cause the separations of planes coming in to land to be tighter than usual, especially those running low on fuel.

Nevertheless, good news that TT went on without any major incidence, and yeah, it could be quick a jot to the passengers to have experienced a go-around.

I know there're curfew in Australia airports but is SYD really busier than KUL or SIN? Never really experienced those before so I'm curious. If it's rare, it's fine, but what I heard this occurs quite often.

Edited by Mike P

Just like it's a relaxing and slow approaching landing... but suddenly turned out to be accelerating and heading up to the sky.... You can hear the engine like throttling real loud like I've never heard before.

I know there're curfew in Australia airports but is SYD really busier than KUL or SIN? Never really experienced those before so I'm curious. If it's rare, it's fine, but what I heard this occurs quite often.

To start with... it is definitely busier than KUL.....

Edited by S V Choong

To start with... it is definitely busier than KUL.....

It depends on what you are referring to. KUL is actually a busier airport in terms of passenger movement.

It depends on what you are referring to. KUL is actually a busier airport in terms of passenger movement.

Not according to this

Passenger Traffic

http://www.aci.aero/Data-Centre/Annual-Traffic-Data/Passengers/2010-final

KUL is only busiser than SYD in terms of cargo traffic

http://www.aci.aero/Data-Centre/Annual-Traffic-Data/Cargo/2010-final

Results might be different in 2013, who knows :pardon:

Edited by S V Choong

Not according to this

Passenger Traffic

http://www.aci.aero/Data-Centre/Annual-Traffic-Data/Passengers/2010-final

KUL is only busiser than SYD in terms of cargo traffic

http://www.aci.aero/Data-Centre/Annual-Traffic-Data/Cargo/2010-final

Results might be different in 2013, who knows :pardon:

KUL is already busier than SYD since 2011. You can refer to Azizul's post. Data compiled by ACI too. Edited by Isaac

Ive experienced before at SIN and LHR due to planes not clearing the runway quick enough. Have also experienced aborted take offs due to windsheer and tech issues.

Ive experienced before at SIN and LHR due to planes not clearing the runway quick enough. Have also experienced aborted take offs due to windsheer and tech issues.

Can we assume you're either a very very frequent flyer or magnet for incidents ?! :lol:

Mishap of luggage by several airlines is norm... but the incident above doesn't seem so to me! :D

Luggage mishap is due screw ups incident above is good airmanship, would you want your plane to land when there s an aircraft on he runway?

Sign in to follow this