MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Indonesian Official Strikes Flight Attendant

A high-ranking official from Bangka Belitung struck a Sriwijaya Air flight attendant after he was told to switch off his mobile phone for landing.

Zakaria Umarhadi, head of the Bangka Belitung Investment Coordinating Board (BKPMD Bangka Belitung), was using his phone just after the airplane had landed at Depati Amir Airport in Bangka Belitung from Jakarta on Wednesday night.

The flight attendant, Nur Febriani, approached him and requested he comply with flight regulations by turning off his phone until he was inside the terminal. Zakaria refused and continued to use his phone. Febriani then told him again that using it inside of the plane was forbidden.

Zakaria yelled at her and struck her head and face with a newspaper as he was exiting the plane.

Agus Sujono, spokesman of Sriwijaya Air, said that security officers took Zakaria to the police station after Febriani, who has been working with Sriwijaya Air for five years, reported the incident.

“[He has been] repeatedly warned,” Agus said, as quoted by Tempo.co. “During take off [he was warned], and it happened again during landing.”

Zakaria’s lawyer, Elisa, said that Zakaria was making an important phone call with his child when Febriani approached him.

“Zakaria’s wife was about to have a surgery, so he needed to communicate with his child and other family members,” Elisa said, as quoted by Okezone.com. “He was calling his child [when he was warned].”

Bangka Belitung Police spokesman Adj. Sr. Comr. Indra on Friday afternoon said that Zakaria had been charged for abusing Febriani.

“He has been quizzed and detained at the police office,” Indra said, as quoted by portalkbr.com on Friday. “Based on the investigation results and witnesses’ testimonies and evidence that we had confiscated, we have charged him with article 351 sub article 1 of the criminal code on abuse, which carries maximum sanction of two years and eight months.”

The incident sparked an outcry on Twitter, where users posted messages in support of Febriani under the hashtag #dukungfebry.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/indonesian-official-strikes-flight-attendant/

mobile phone usage during take-offs and landings are very common. not only in Malaysia, but everywhere in the world. But to treat an FA with no respect, it is another story lah.

There is absolutely no excuse or whatsoever in using the phone. The rule is the rule, stick to it and using the wife and child is just a lame excuse (let alone assaulting others).

If he has a wife that is expecting, don't fly at all. Stay beside the wife... I hope he get charge for assaulting the flight attendant. It is a good way to remind other officials that they are no above the law. (Should put into practice in Malaysia too)

Edited by S V Choong

There is absolutely no excuse or whatsoever in using the phone. The rule is the rule, stick to it and using the wife and child is just a lame excuse (let alone assaulting others).

If he has a wife that is expecting, don't fly at all. Stay beside the wife... I hope he get charge for assaulting the flight attendant. It is a good way to remind other officials that they are no above the law. (Should put into practice in Malaysia too)

Oh yes. Some people should realise that titled people are not sent from the heavens and if they do wrong, they should be appropriately punished. Just because one is a Datuk or Tan Sri, they are not to be touched.

Another charge beside assaulting the flight attendant is he could face either 2 years in prison minimum or fine 200juta rupiah under Indonesian law.

A fellow crew member got a nice settlement when a body guard of a popular 80's Malaysian superstar punched her on board.

Ethics and courtesy to fellow passengers aside, do you pilots really get disturbances to cockpit instruments with the usage of phones in the cabin? Any first hand experiences? Those Mythbusters chaps did an ep on this before and found nothing

This is what I found on discovery.com:

Cell Phones Interfere with Plane Instruments Finding: BUSTED

Explanation: Never mind what
the chatterbox in the seat next to you says about cell phones messing
with plane navigation — those metallic birds are built airtight against
foreign signals and operate on entirely different frequencies than cell
phones.

So why all the fuss about phones?
When you make a call at 10,000 feet, the signal bounces off multiple
available cell towers, rather than one at a time. That means too many
phone-happy jetsetters might clog up the networks on the ground, which
is why the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) — not the Federal
Aviation Association (FAA) — banned cell use on planes.

If you're just dying to bust out your
BlackBerry mid-flight, go international. Some airlines in Europe, the
Middle East and Asia now allow cell phone use in planes, but don't hold
your breath for the FCC to follow suit.

Source: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/cell-phones-interfere-plane-instruments.htm

Ethics and courtesy to fellow passengers aside, do you pilots really get disturbances to cockpit instruments with the usage of phones in the cabin? Any first hand experiences? Those Mythbusters chaps did an ep on this before and found nothing

I don't know about effect of handphone usage in the cabin, but there is no effect in using the handphone in the cockpit. With engines not running, of course...

I note that SQ/MI/TR now allow phones to be used as soon as touch down has occured.

CX and KA have been allowing this for a very long time. MH still insists that mobile devices should only be switched on after we are inside the terminal building but of course most people simply don't care.

Anyway, the most shocking thing i came across is this Chinese lady in her late 20s seated behind me switching on her stupid cell phone during final approach on AF246 last month. No kidding! I was looking out of the window and suddenly she was already on her phone telling someone hey, i've landed (no, we had not landed!) :shok:

i think how the cabin crew telling the passenger to switch off his mobile phone also need to be considered. If that crew did the same way as this JT's stewardess, it is not surprise, she will get strikes

Wow- The stewardess is very fierce.LOL

On a similar note I was on MH1 and sat opposite to the crew seat. Phone was already in plane mode while listening to some music while we're holding short. The cabin crew opposite to me pointed at me and said 'excuse me you need to off it', didn't understand what she meant before actually realising she wanted me to turn my phone off, LOL, off it?!!? :pardon: somebody needs to brush up on their English a little bit.

i think how the cabin crew telling the passenger to switch off his mobile phone also need to be considered. If that crew did the same way as this JT's stewardess, it is not surprise, she will get strikes

It is irrelevant how the crew member spoke - whoever used violence first is wrong.

The crew member, according to reports, was not trying to provoke anything but instead just simply enforcing regulations. The passenger, regardless of status or situation, should have obeyed. Even if he thought it was necessary to call his family at that immediate point in time (forgetting that moving from a runway to a terminal usually takes no more than 10 minuts), he could've explained this to the crew member. Instead, he used a fist.

This is the problem with status-holders in Indonesia (and to an extent, all Asian countries). They are power-abusers and think that they are above everyone and the law. Unfortunately, they often ARE above the law due to behind-the-scene bureaucracy.

You cross the line when you strike the other person.

Sign in to follow this