MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Radzi

Royal Brunei aircraft in Tawau.

I was in Tawau today, and there was V8-BKH doing a few circuits and touch-and-go at the airport.

467279_10200604281263407_443995062_o.jpg

Not exactly a rare occurrence, but here is the photo evidence.

BTW, do you know that this aircraft, A340-212 cn 046 is actually the 2nd A340 to wear the V8-BKH registration?

Awesome photo Capt;

BTW interesting info you've got there; and you were right: the 1st V8-BKH was A342 (cn 009),as seen on A.net photo database:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Royal-Brunei-Airlines/Airbus-A340-211/0056884/&sid=f18010f089d32b8fa63a6eb3f63b5181

and her other rego was V8-JP1.Now the aircraft is flown by Jordanian Government under registration JY-ABH.

Thanks for sharing Captain! Didn't know the sultan would fly to my home town as well. I have seen V8-ALI doing a few touch and goes at BWN too.

If she ever landed on TWU and parked at the terminal. The A342 would be the largest ever aircraft to have ever landed in TWU

If she ever landed on TWU and parked at the terminal. The A342 would be the largest ever aircraft to have ever landed in TWU

If she does that, I think we can rely on Waiping to balik kampung to document the event for us :)

This A340 was known to have landed and parked at the old Alor Star Airport, when it was a smaller and has a much shorter runway. That was during the death of the then permaisuri of Kedah.

If she does that, I think we can rely on Waiping to balik kampung to document the event for us :)

At the moment, I believe the largest ever aircraft to have landed at TWU was the Boeing C-17 Globemaster III.

Unless MAS or Air Asia has sent in their A333 without my knowledge!

Previously in the old TWU airport, the biggest aircraft to have landed on the airport was the Boeing 757-200 demonstrator.

Nice catch! I remember BI always did TnG at old TWU airport with their B767 and A340.

During the good old days, there were lotsa 'rare traffics' which seldom appear nowadays at the new airport, such as Poslaju used to operate the 737-200 in Garuda Airlines livery, Merpati airlines F28, and the defunct Bouraq BN-Islander/Trislander.

:acute:

Only about 10 days earlier than my planned visit.

Nice catch! I remember BI always did TnG at old TWU airport with their B767 and A340.

During the good old days, there were lotsa 'rare traffics' which seldom appear nowadays at the new airport, such as Poslaju used to operate the 737-200 in Garuda Airlines livery, Merpati airlines F28, and the defunct Bouraq BN-Islander/Trislander.

:acute:

Really? The 767 and A342 TnG at the old airport!

Have not seen Merpati F28. Have only seen Bouraq Islander and Trislander and along with Hercules and Caribou.

yupp, i was studying at a primary school at town and my class room located at 5th floor where you can see clearly every take off and landing clearly. (you should know which primary school by now :) A good "spotting zone"

yupp, i was studying at a primary school at town and my class room located at 5th floor where you can see clearly every take off and landing clearly. (you should know which primary school by now :) A good "spotting zone"

SRJK© Sin Hwa? :D

My primary school was near "ice box", now no more already... can always see big birds landing and take off, especially during assembly day :D

Edited by Eason

Sounds like SMK Tawau! Literally next to the runway :)

I used to live not too far away from SMK Tawau or Holy Trinity School actually!

Were they on a sales pitch to MH or BI?

Yes, they were on a sales pitch to BI on the way to BWN. Tawau was probably one of their fuel stops from BFI.

It was somewhere around early 1980's and everyone from the town stopped at the road next to the runway or on the other side near the apron. I have a picture somewhere in our storage in Tawau but have not had much luck in accessing the archive! Oh well, one day...

Edited by S V Choong

This A340 was known to have landed and parked at the old Alor Star Airport, when it was a smaller and has a much shorter runway. That was during the death of the then permaisuri of Kedah.

Was it smaller then the KBR airport at the time the Brunei A342 landed at KBR?

Was it smaller then the KBR airport at the time the Brunei A342 landed at KBR?

Too bad IPH is far too micro for the 342 that the royal family had to use a run-of-the-mill BI 320 for a day trip to IPH not too long ago.

SRJK© Sin Hwa? :D

My primary school was near "ice box", now no more already... can always see big birds landing and take off, especially during assembly day :D

You mean the old SRJK © Yuk Chin? It is still there!

9M-MLF as MH 2134 for 2pm ish flight to BKI today grounded, cancelled flight.rescue flight @ 1040pm.

9M-FZA to KCH today departed with squadrons from Ops Daulat @ 1800hrs. will post photo soon..

You mean the old SRJK © Yuk Chin? It is still there!

Yes, but no more already right? They closed it and moved to the (new) SRJK© Yuk Chin in Kuhara :)

Yes, but no more already right? They closed it and moved to the (new) SRJK© Yuk Chin in Kuhara :)

Not sure, I went home last December and stopped by at that school as it was my mum's primary school. It looks like it was still operational albeit looking aged and tired.

9M-MLF as MH 2134 for 2pm ish flight to BKI today grounded, cancelled flight.rescue flight @ 1040pm. 9M-FZA to KCH today departed with squadrons from Ops Daulat @ 1800hrs. will post photo soon..

Interesting!

9M-FZA was at Tawau Airport this morning according to my friend working at airport.