MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Malindo Air ATR 72-600 Hub @ Subang Skypark

Dumping exercise. Sure at first you'll get cheap fares etc but the moment a competitor's killed fares go up as usual.

It's been done so many times before throughout the world.

Sounds like FY's very own jet ops...remember those lower-than-low initial fares?

I think they should really have concentrated on their jets first, to be honest. It's not that FY is "abusing" their monopoly on the Subang props ops and mind you, people LOVE flying on FY's AT72.

People LOVE flying those FY AT7s because of Subang and where it is on the map, not becos of FY. If AK is allowed to operate jets from SZB, folks will LOVE AK even more.

And yes, FY is abusing its virtual monopoly at SZB...their all-fares aren't cheap. Just look at the silly add-ons.

Dumping exercise. Sure at first you'll get cheap fares etc but the moment a competitor's killed fares go up as usual.

It's been done so many times before throughout the world.

Better to leave FY alone at SZB?

I think OD is starting to feel the strain of competing with AK & MH over routes that they are flying. In contrast FY operation is (if not mistaken) profitable. Surely wherever profitable will attract competitors.

but consumers not only look up for the prices, there are also several other factors such as schedule, timing, inflight services, seat pitch......

Don't forget frequent flyer programme factor too. Now since FY can earn Enrich miles, more advantages for them. Unless Malindo Air will introduce FFP as well soon. Somemore ATR OD's fare quite same as FY. I'd rather be flying with 10% of something rather than 100% of nothing. :D

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Malindo Air to start turboprop ops on June 3

PETALING JAYA (May 20, 2013): Joint Malaysia-Indonesia airline Malindo Air, which has been granted the air operators certificate (AOC) by the Department of Civil Aviation to operate turboprop flights out of Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Selangor, is due to receive its first ATR 72-600 today and start its first scheduled flight out of Skypark Terminal on June 3, 2013.
Checks on its website showed that Malindo Air is offering twice daily flights from Subang to Penang, Kota Baru and Johor Baru, competing head on with incumbent Firefly which currently plies on these routes.
Fares for the three destinations include promotional offers from as low as RM69 one-way. Its regular pricing range as displayed on its website is between RM149 and RM169 one-way.
A cursory glance showed that all flights on offer in the first week of operations are sold out.
In comparison, Firefly – the turboprop-operating unit of Malaysia Airlines that has had a monopoly on turboprop operations in Subang airport for the last six years – offers 12 flights a day to its first hub, Penang.
Firefly, which had launched its Everyday Low Fares campaign on Thursday, is offering a promotional fare from as low as RM35 one-way between Subang and Penang. Regular pricing ranges between RM109.95 and RM149.95 one-way.
A source close to Malindo Air told SunBiz that the ATR 72-600 arriving at AIROD Aerospace Technology's base in Subang today, is the first of six turboprops due for delivery by the end of this year from the Lion Air group.
Malindo Air, a joint venture between Indonesia's PT Lion Grup and National Aerospace and Defence Industries Sdn Bhd (Nadi), will take delivery of its second aircraft this month, and one aircraft a month thereafter until September.
Malindo Air is believed to have entered into a leasing arrangement with Lion Air to take over a portion of the deliveries initially intended for the Indonesian group's turboprop arm Wings Air.
In February last year, Lion Air had placed an order for 27 ATR 72-600s, which when all are delivered in 2015 would make its regional subsidiary, Wings Air, the world's largest ATR operator, with a total fleet size of 60 comprising 20 ATR 72-500s and 40 ATR 72-600s.
Wings Air was established in 2002, and predominantly operates regional and rural routes and blends into Lion Air's network as a feeder airline.

Firefly ready for Malindo Air

web.jpg

SUBANG JAYA (May 20, 2013): Firefly, which has been operating out of the SkyPark Terminal at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Selangor since April 2007, is ready for head-on competition with Malindo Air, its chief said.
Subang airport is currently the hub for Firefly and Berjaya Air commercial turboprop services, but the latter mainly offer flights to island resorts in the country and popular destination like Hua Hin, Thailand.
FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd CEO Ignatius Ong (pix) said the airline is ready to "embrace competition" from Malindo Air, which has been granted an air operators certificate (AOC) to operate turboprop flights out of Subang airport and is slated to start its first scheduled flight on June 3, 2013.
"We are always prepared if the eventuality comes (new airline coming to Subang). We embrace competition, but it must be ethical competition," he told SunBiz in an interview.
Ong said today, Firefly's value proposition consisting of convenience, speed and customer service, has worked well for the airline and its passengers, of whom 80% accounts for business travellers.
"Subang, being a city airport close to Petaling Jaya, Klang and Kuala Lumpur, many businessmen love to fly with us and they love the airport… We work with Subang SkyPark Sdn Bhd management and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to ensure that passengers take no more than 15 minutes to walk to the aircraft from the time they are dropped off. That's the appeal that people like," he said.
The SkyPark Terminal is also designed to avoid long gate walks and long queues to get into aerobridges, while Firefly's aircraft size of 72 seats translates into quicker boarding.
Its ground operations also ensure smooth traffic movement.
"The one most important thing that we feel strongly for Firefly is that it makes flying hassle free. We don't ask you to come here two hours in advance. You don't have long check-in. You don't have a long boarding process with us.
"Basically, even when I fly, I get to the airport 15 minutes before the flight departs and I never delay my aircraft. It's really because of how the set-up is like and the aircraft type we use, that is, the ATRs. These are the latest generation aircraft out in the market. A lot of people say we don't offer aerobridges (and thus, when) raining (it) could be a hassle, but it's also because we are quick - it's the speed (that we offer)."
And although Firefly offers more commercial flights out of Subang airport and connects to more destinations, it has not been complacent in providing value to customers.
"Customers today are very savvy. I can't up my price to RM2,000 and still expect people to fly. You need to make sure that the customer sees that whatever they're paying for is worth their money.
"A lot of people did say that I'm a monopoly. I am, from a certain perspective, but like I say people are very savvy today," he said, adding that it will continue to ensure its air fares are reasonable.
"Monopoly is one thing but I still want to give low fares. Customers are very intelligent today and if Firefly behaves like the only carrier here and milk people in an unethical way, they will not come back to you.
"The whole point is to get more passengers to fly with you. It builds brand equity, loyalty and customer base," he added.
Ong also said even though Firefly will maintain its business model as a full service carrier, offering frills like 20kg complimentary baggage, refreshments served on board and assigned seats, there are no plans to offer in-flight entertainment or WiFi on its fleet of ATR 72-600s.
"(To have) WiFi on an ATR doesn't make sense. The flight is a short hop. By the time you reach cruising speed, the flight attendant will be on the PA system asking passengers to switch off their gadgets.
"In fact I have reviewed this before and we always said that for any flight that is less than two hours, it doesn't make sense to have WiFi because it takes time for the aircraft to ascend, during which time under national law you cannot switch on your WiFi," said Ong.
"When you're descending, you also can't switch on the Wifi. On a one-and-a-half hours flight, the time allowed for you to turn on the Wifi is probably 10 minutes. People will be angry if you charge them only to go online for 10 minutes and then they have to switch off before they can download anything," he said.
Thus, services like Wifi are more relevant for flights of at least five hours.
He added that Firefly's aim is to provide value to passengers rather than antagonise them by charging them for services that do not benefit them.
Although Firefly is a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines (MAS), Ong said Firefly operates "95% independently of MAS" and has its own marketing strategies and cost structures.
"Our independent perspective gives us a way to build our own brand equity so people who work in Firefly have a sense of belonging and are never seen as a distant cousin of MAS," he said.
And while the airline has group procurements with MAS on certain items such as fuel, but its aircraft, on-board catering and others are separate from the parent company.
"We have an efficient team of less than 1,000 people. We always look at best alternatives and put our partners on their toes. To me, we do it as long as it is the lowest cost for us to operate because ultimately I need to translate this back to the customer," said Ong.
Edited by flee

Heard Malindo 8000 on Approach North frequency this morning. Could it be ATR delivery flight?

And yes, FY is abusing its virtual monopoly at SZB...their all-fares aren't cheap. Just look at the silly add-ons.

Talk about charging RM1,109 return for SIN - IPH for CNY next year - the power of monopoly. I could go further on one of MH's really good deals.

Yesterday I flew SIN-SZB with FY, on way home from CPT/JNB. It's so nice to have an airport just 20min from my Setia Alam home.

I was told that many Maswings pilots have resigned and gone to OD due to high pay, 15k per month compared to Maswings only 8k per month. OD will also give 150 extra as allowance for every flight being flown by a pilot.

Due to this, a notable BKI - LDU flight has been reduced from 5 times daily to 3 times daily, starting tomorrow.

Due to this, a notable BKI - LDU flight has been reduced from 5 times daily to 3 times daily, starting tomorrow.

This could be due to low load too. And has anyone else noticed MASWings planes seem to break down a lot ? Overheard MASWings ground staff at BKI said so. Everytime I go to the airport, there must be a few MASWings flights severely delayed or canceled!

This could be due to low load too. And has anyone else noticed MASWings planes seem to break down a lot ? Overheard MASWings ground staff at BKI said so. Everytime I go to the airport, there must be a few MASWings flights severely delayed or canceled!

Obviously, pricing plays a big role; last two years plus when more sales are being run (and really great price), I can see that average load factor is more than 70% on the flights that I joined them...logged about 16 plus turboprop ride thus far, just on them.

I was told that many Maswings pilots have resigned and gone to OD due to high pay, 15k per month compared to Maswings only 8k per month. OD will also give 150 extra as allowance for every flight being flown by a pilot.

I've heard the same thing too. Plus those from Semenanjung will rather being closer to their hometown. But most important everybody will work where the pay is the best, if everything else being equal.

OD first flight for SZB-JHB had been changed from 3rd to 7th June. Got call from Malindo staff about this. For KBR and PEN, they stick to original date. Do anyone know why?

no IFE?

IFE system takes up space and incurs weight penalty, and ATR72 does not have much leeway for either.

ATR only offers mainscreen IFE, instead of personal IFE similar to MASWing's:

To respond to market needs and evolving requirements coming from passengers and operators, ATR is now offering an IFE system for a more attractive passenger cabin.

MAIN FEATURES:

Integrated in PSU

5’’ screen

Up to 18 screens in basic configuration

Motorised

Low weights

Low maintenance

a>

http://www.atraircraft.com/products/atr-600-series.html

Edited by Y. J. Foo

My daughter is catching OD flight KBR-SZB on Day 1, but second flight. Will ask her to snap some pics.

2nd phase of ATR destinationes out, LGK, AOR & TGG is on the booking engine list; however start dates and promo rates still unknown, regular fares can be found somehwere down Sept onwards...

2nd phase of ATR destinationes out, LGK, AOR & TGG is on the booking engine list; however start dates and promo rates still unknown, regular fares can be found somehwere down Sept onwards...

They will start flying for LGK, AOR & TGG from SZB effective 1st Aug 2013. Now open for booking. Hari raya demand? :D

They will start flying for LGK, AOR & TGG from SZB effective 1st Aug 2013. Now open for booking. Hari raya demand? :D

and also increases frequency to KBR (3 to 4 daily) and JHB (1 to 3 daily) on the same day.

Edited by Wan

Sign in to follow this