MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

My money's on MH choosing the A350 to replace the 772s and older 33Es.

A350 is probably going to have the widest seat width in Y though, considering Boeing is likely to push for a 10-abreast configuration for the 777X.

Anyway, I think for MAS own sake and also Malaysian taxpayers', MAS should keep the 772ER longer and replace all these with a true replacement aircraft (be it 787, 777X or 350), and not the 240t A330-300 that will become available in 2015.

A350 is probably going to have the widest seat width in Y though, considering Boeing is likely to push for a 10-abreast configuration for the 777X.

Anyway, I think for MAS own sake and also Malaysian taxpayers', MAS should keep the 772ER longer and replace all these with a true replacement aircraft (be it 787, 777X or 350), and not the 240t A330-300 that will become available in 2015.

Bean counter is more likely to squeeze extra seat in than having widest seat width.

Before MH's could replace 772 with 240t A33E, the management need to convince 772 rated pilots to 'downgrade' to A330.

Edited by KK Lee

No need to convince, the pilots are supposed to fly any aircraft that's assigned to them and it is not a downgrade by any means.

No need to convince, the pilots are supposed to fly any aircraft that's assigned to them and it is not a downgrade by any means.

But pilots need to be re-rated if they need to change planes.

That takes time and money.

Its not like you can just transplant a 777 captain to a 333.

I mean - one is more hands on than the other. the 333 flies with a joystick - needs a change of mindset and training!

You are mistaken if you think it's more hands on on the 777 than the A330. They don't call it managing a flight rather than fly a plane for nothing. Anyways changing rating from one aircraft to another is not supposed to be a big deal to airline pilots. Sure there are cost in training but there can be savings in other areas too.

It doesn' t really matter which plane they chose as along as they do it properly. Just something I heard recently- during the days when MH was deciding which aircraft to replace the 737-400. After much deliberation and analysis it was decided that the A320 was the best choice and so a recommendation was made to the board. There was a big meeting among the top people and the result was they were going with the 737-800 as replacement, much to the surprised of the Flight ops people. So there you go.

You are mistaken if you think it's more hands on on the 777 than the A330. They don't call it managing a flight rather than fly a plane for nothing. Anyways changing rating from one aircraft to another is not supposed to be a big deal to airline pilots. Sure there are cost in training but there can be savings in other areas too.

It doesn' t really matter which plane they chose as along as they do it properly. Just something I heard recently- during the days when MH was deciding which aircraft to replace the 737-400. After much deliberation and analysis it was decided that the A320 was the best choice and so a recommendation was made to the board. There was a big meeting among the top people and the result was they were going with the 737-800 as replacement, much to the surprised of the Flight ops people. So there you go.

Only if pilots union agree.

If MH to order the 787 or 350 most probably they will only get it in by 2018/2019. Will it feasible to refurbish the leased 772 and keep them in service for another 5-6years with age close to 20years? On the other hand they can order the enhance A333 and fly them within 2years from now and have a younger fleet age. IMO, they shld order both the A333 and A350/787 for their short and long term planning :D

And according to this article its 242t now, no more 240t

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-to-raise-a330-take-off-weight-and-fuel-capacity-379583/

If MH to order the 787 or 350 most probably they will only get it in by 2018/2019. Will it feasible to refurbish the leased 772 and keep them in service for another 5-6years with age close to 20years?

Singapore Airlines says it is feasible to do so. As a matter of fact, they just started to refurbish their very first 772ER (SV series) with their long-haul Business Class seat early this year. I think this shows SQ will keep operating the 772ER for a few more years to come. Singapore Airlines do have 13 more A330-300E on firm order (on top of the 21 A330-300E already in service) but these are mainly to replace their 772ER with derated engines (SR and SQ series).

Anyway, so i guess my answer is yes. It is feasible :D

Still not good enough for MAS to fly it non-stop between KUL and most Western European cities it serves year-round without weight restriction ;)

Only if pilots union agree.

Pilots union will have nothing to do with aircraft type selection.

Pilots union will have nothing to do with aircraft type selection.

Agreed. What will happen to pilots seniority and pay scale if 772 is replaced with A33E or 787?

I wonder what the average loads are like for the MH A380 to LHR, CDG and HKG. When I flew at the end of Feb 2013 to LHR on MH4, it was packed to the brim! But the yields is a different story entirely. Data sharing anyone :pardon:

I check ExperFlyer regularly on the KUL to LHR and CDG routes and loads are very healthy. Each time I check (which is not daily but a few times a week), J and Y loads are very good.

Agreed. What will happen to pilots seniority and pay scale if 772 is replaced with A33E or 787?

No change in seniority number and in MH the payscale is the same for the widebody fleet.

(Reuters) - Malaysian Airline
System Bhd is studying both the Airbus A350 and Boeing
787 as potential replacements for its existing medium and
long-haul fleet of aircraft, an airline executive said on
Monday.

Malaysia Airlines operates a total of about 30 Boeing Co
777s and Airbus A330s, and it eventually wants
to fly only one type of aircraft in this segment to simplify
operations and reduce costs, Germal Singh, the airline's senior
vice president of government and international affairs, told
reporters on the sidelines of an airline conference in Capetown.

It may begin to replace these aircraft from around 2018, he
added.

Opting for A350XWB family would be better suited for MH IMO, as the family has sizes from 270 to 350 seats, which would be ideal for replacing the existing B772ER and A333, as well as narrowing the capacity gap between A333 and A388.

Where to find the money???

EPF :lol:

Edited by Isaac

I think the A350 is more suited to MH's needs. If expected delivery (after the order is actually confirmed) is for 2018 onwards, plenty of time to sort out funding.

Isn't this what they have been saying for a long time... Until they actually put in an order, nothing is certain..

Speaking purely based on aesthetic value, I'd choose the 787. The A350 is kinda ugly :D

Wish they'd also go for the new 777x, but maybe it's too big.

Historically, MH didn't offer daily service to many destinations like FRA, FCO, etc as couldn't fill 772. Without daily service, MH is unable to attract premium pax. A350 is a direct replacement to 772. However, for MH to provide daily service, smaller 787 is ideal.

I remember this kind of news came out a few weeks before Paris Air Show. But they never placed any orders. Wait and see, this time.

(Reuters) - Malaysian Airline

Malaysia Airlines operates a total of about 30 Boeing Co

777s and Airbus A330s, and it eventually wants

to fly only one type of aircraft in this segment to simplify

operations and reduce costs, Germal Singh, the airline's senior

vice president of government and international affairs, told

reporters on the sidelines of an airline conference in Capetown.

It may begin to replace these aircraft from around 2018, he

added.

Does it mean we won't expect MH to expand their intercontinental network until 2018?