MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

Change the current 777 IFE. Dont change econony class seat and config!

If the economy class seats have to be changed, let it be 3-3-3. No to 3-4-3, one reason I avoid flying Emirates!

Yes I agree. I like the MH B777s especially when I get a chance to be seated at the twin seats but the IFE must see a major revamp in the near future.

Yes I agree. I like the MH B777s especially when I get a chance to be seated at the twin seats but the IFE must see a major revamp in the near future.

Economy seats on B777 is comfortable. KUL-AKL is no problem, no back pain, sweaty back etc. On the other hand, took a flight back via Sydney somehow the seat is uncomfortable and quite hard on their A330. I hope they keep the old seats and revamp the IFE, the screen is tiny!

Edited by suadrif

can you change IFE but keep the seats?

Doubt it, keeping the seats and mounting a larger screen will require substantial modifications and may not be cost effective at all. Typically airlines will remove the seats and replace with newer seats as they might be approaching end of useful life by now. I believe the seats currently on the 777s and the screens come as one package.

Edited by S V Choong

The reality of IFE is less the size of the screen than it is the content itself. If New MH installs 50inch HDtv's in every seat but doesn't pay for the rights, all you'll get to watch is TV3, Ali Baba Bujang Lapok and Jaws 1,2 and 3.

As for the seats themselves - they're very comfy, and have A lot of paddig because it's not the slimline kind. If MH wants to increase seat count but keep the kind of pitch that exists now, the only way forward is the skinny type seats. Depending on brand, some can be quite backside pain :p Careful what you wish for!

The reality of IFE is less the size of the screen than it is the content itself. If New MH installs 50inch HDtv's in every seat but doesn't pay for the rights, all you'll get to watch is TV3, Ali Baba Bujang Lapok and Jaws 1,2 and 3.

As for the seats themselves - they're very comfy, and have A lot of paddig because it's not the slimline kind. If MH wants to increase seat count but keep the kind of pitch that exists now, the only way forward is the skinny type seats. Depending on brand, some can be quite backside pain :p Careful what you wish for!

Recaro seats please :)

As long as no backside pain ....

If it's hemorrhoidal issues, we have remedies - worry no further, please send PM if privacy valued

If it's boss, children or spouse related issues, can I PM you if you have answers ?

:)

Maybe MH could just hand out iPads? I do love the current 777 seats more than the A330's, but it is showing age.

That seems rather LCCish.

Sure, QF does it, but only for domestic flights.

Maybe MH could just hand out iPads? I do love the current 777 seats more than the A330's, but it is showing age.

Then the cost to repair or recover the ipad will be even higher

Then the cost to repair or recover the ipad will be even higher

can imagine greedy passengers trying to "pocket" (bag) the iPads!

can imagine greedy passengers trying to "pocket" (bag) the iPads!

They all should just install USB on every seats and have wifi IFE like Silk Air 738. Lighter. Lower cost to run .

Change the current 777 IFE. Dont change econony class seat and config!

if i'm not mistaken, Aerolineas Argentinas took ex-MH A332

they keep the old bulky seats, removed the smallish PTV, and installed new larger HD screen..(as well as new J class seats and moodlight in both classes)

maybe MH can do this to their 777.

CM knows airline need fuel efficient aircraft to be competitive, not that gomen don't have money to order new aircraft. After dust settled, CM is likely to announce new aircraft order and lease aircraft for interim period.

Here's some notes so far:

- New Business Class for A330, 777

Does it mean that the 777 will stay longer in the fleet and not disposed as scheduled?

Does it mean that the 777 will stay longer in the fleet and not disposed as scheduled?

The older one are staying, younger ones are being put on sales/ lease-out now. The last four if I remember correctly.

MAS got its first 777 in 1995? And last one in 2002?

MH only has -200ERs, which were only launched in 1997. IIRC one of them flew non-stop from Seattle to Subang. I think the last one arrived in 2004.

That seems rather LCCish.

Sure, QF does it, but only for domestic flights.

OpenSkies, BA's premium cabin 757's, also hand out iPads instead of having traditional IFE's.

Not that I agree with the idea, just saying :)

Edited by jani

The older one are staying, younger ones are being put on sales/ lease-out now. The last four if I remember correctly.

The plan changed.

The original plan was to dispose of ALL 77E's. MH planned to sell the four owned ones (MRL, MRM, MRP, MRQ) and return the oldest ones to their lessors (MRN, despite being new, is also leased). The only information to surface to the media was the sale of the four owned birds and therefore people believed only those were leaving the fleet.

All four were removed from sale which probably signals their intention to retain the new ones and refurbish them. I would presume that if any were to leave, they would return the older birds to their lessors before touching MRL, MRM, MRP, MRQ, and even MRN.